Rosalind's reading list 2009

Rosalind

Blurb: Jill Mansell – Falling for you

After a romantic encounter under the cover of darkness, former ugly duckling Maddy Harvey is shocked to discover in daylight that her potential Prince Charming is a totally unsuitable ghost from the past.

My Opinion

I do read a lot of chick-lit books and this was the very first one I ever read by Jill Mansell, although people have been recommending them to me for ages. I now understand why. Although at the beginning I had a rough time getting focussed on the book once it started rolling and all the romance plots thickened I was hooked. Good book for all of us hopeless romantics

Grade:8/10

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blurb: Nancy Warren – Bad boys down under

Those accents. Those muscles. Those take-no-prisoners smiles that say, 'Care to join me down under?' Join USA Today bestselling author Nancy Warren for a trio of deliciously sensual stories where the bad boys are from Oz . . . but they sure know how to speak the language . . . Turn up the heat and get ready for three of the hottest imports to hit these shores. When these bad boys come to visit, you're guaranteed a g'day, mate.

My Opinion

To have a change in the long list of Scotsmen that I go through (reading wise) I thought why not read about Australians for a change. Good thing that in the Bad Boys books you have the diversity of nationalities. After reading this book I kinda wished I could go to Australia and meet some of the bad boys that lurk around in the cities. Not a bad book, good for killing time and stories short enough that you can read them in one go.

Grade:7/10

Blurb: Meg Cabot – Every boy’s got one

Maid-of-honour at her best friend Holly's wedding, Jen takes an instant dislike to best man Cal. But when Holly and Mark's wedding plans hit a major snag that only Jen and Cal can repair, the two find themselves having to put aside their mutual dislike for one another in order for the wedding to go ahead.

My Opinion:

I really liked this book. This is the last one in the “Boy” series by Meg Cabot and also the last one written in e-mail/PDA/diary form. From halfway through the book you think it’s going to go this way and it doesn’t really go that way until the last 5 pages. Keeping me on my toes in a romance, not something that happens a lot since I mostly read them because I know happy endings are a given. I loved being swept away to Italy once again.

Blurb:Susan Elizabeth Phillips – It had to be you

The windy city isn't quite ready for Phoebe Somerville-the trendy, outrageous and curvaceous New York knockout who has just inherited the Chicago Stars football team. And Phoebe is definitely not prepared for the Stars' head coach Dan Calebow - an Alabama-born former gridiron legend and blond barbarian.

Calebow is everything Phoebe abhors - a sexist, jock taskmaster with a one-track mind. The beautiful new boss is everything Dan despises - a meddling bimbo who doesn't know pigskin from a pitcher's mound, So why is he drawn to the shameless sexpot like a heat-seeking missile? And why does Dan's good ol'boy charm leave cosmopolitan Phoebe feeling awkward, tongue-tied and frightened to death?

My Opinion:

I’ve been thinking of reading this book for a while now. When I first came across this book and saw that it was about an other athlete type than I’ve read up to know, I just said to myself, let’s try it – there are more athletes than baseball and hockey players(being the topic in the sports romances I’ve read up to now). In this case we’re dunked into the world of American Football. To be honest, this was a very nice first meeting with the rugged athletes in this sport. I am willing to read more…

Grade:7.5/10

Blurb: Rachel Vincent - Rogue

I know that better than most. Since rejoining the Pride, I've made big decisions and even bigger mistakes: the kind paid for with innocent lives. As the first and only female enforcer, I have plenty to prove to my father, the Pride and myself. And with murdered toms turning up in our territory, I'm working harder than ever, though I always find the energy for a little after-hours recreation with Marc, my partner both on and off duty.

But not all my mistakes are behind me. We're beginning to suspect that the dead are connected to a rash of missing human women and that they can all be laid at my feet—two or four, take your pick. And one horrible indiscretion may yet cost me more than I can bear.…

My Opinion

After reading the first book (Stray) in this series, I knew wanted to read more. In this world of werecats and protecting their territory, this book is very good. It took me a couple of chapters to get back into it all, and a couple more to remember the first book correctly to follow again (It seems I’ve read a few to many paranormal books since the first and the second in the series). But once I was back, the reading got better and better and I even gasped at a certain part of the book (for the people who’ve read this they might know which part, for the ones who haven’t read and find out).

Blurb: Tess Gerritsen – The Surgeon

In her most masterful novel of medical suspense, New York Times bestselling author Tess Gerritsen creates a villain of unforgettable evil--and the one woman who can catch him before he kills again.

He slips into their homes at night and walks silently into bedrooms where women lie sleeping, unaware of the horrors they soon will endure. The precision of the killer's methods suggests he is a deranged man of medicine, propelling the Boston newspapers and the frightened public to name him "The Surgeon."

The cops' only clue rests with another surgeon, the victim of a nearly identical crime. Two years ago, Dr. Catherine Cordell fought back and killed her attacker before he could complete his assault. Now she hides her fears of intimacy behind a cool and elegant exterior and a well-earned reputation as a top trauma surgeon.

Cordell's careful facade is about to crack as this new killer recreates, with chilling accuracy, the details of Cordell's own ordeal. With every new murder he seems to be taunting her, cutting ever closer, from her hospital to her home. Her only comfort comes from Thomas Moore, the detective assigned to the case. But even Moore cannot protect Cordell from a brilliant hunter who somehow understands--and savors--the secret fears of every woman he kills.

Filled with the authentic detail that is the trademark of this doctor turned author . . . and peopled with rich and complex characters--from the ER to the squad room to the city morgue--here is a thriller of unprecedented depth and suspense. Exposing the shocking link between those who kill and cure, punish and protect, The Surgeon is Tess Gerritsen's most exciting accomplishment yet.

My Opinion

I don’t read a lot of crime books, but sometimes I get challenged by someone and I just have to read one then. This one is the first in a series and since I’ve been told this is a good book I just said OK I’ll read it. When I started it, I had difficulties putting it down, and the real good part is that you don’t really find out who the actual bad guy is until about 100 pages from the ending. You get hints, but no names. That what I like in a crime book!

Blurb: MaryJanice Davidson - Really unusual bad boys

Bridefight - One minutes Lois Commoner is popping pain pills for her bum knee; the next, she's in a strange land with a magically delicious naked man named Prince Damon. Questions? Maybe one or two.

Mating Season - Lt. Anne Sanger jointed the W.A.C.s to see the world and meet someone, she meant Europe and nice Boise farm boy - not a feral, well-built, rakish man in a bathtub claiming he has wished her to be his mate.

Groomfight - Rica Callanbra is used to odd things happening, but sweet, godlike hunky men falling from the sky? She'll take him! Talk about heaven on earth.

My Opinion

As you might have noticed I’m working my way through the “Bad Boys” books. When I started this I didn’t expect shape shifting cat-man though. Not that I mind that! Well it’s not bad for between books or fast day reads but not a book I would personally choose to crawl into bed with and read straight through.

Grade:6.5/10

Blurb: Lynsay Sands - The Renegade Hunter

Having agreed to be fixed up by her sister, Josephine Willan unfortunately finds herself very bored. The gorgeous men she'd been introduced to are all looking at her strangely and they're barely speaking to her. So Jo steps out for a breath of fresh air. Before she knows it, she's attacked, then rescued...and being kissed senseless by her rescuer! Nicholas Argeneau went rogue after the death of his life mate fifty years ago, but he's never stopped hunting for the evil vampires that torment mortals. He's tracked one of them to the enforcer house, and when he finds a woman in danger, all of Nicholas' protective instincts kicked in. Before he knows it, he's kissing her senseless. But life on the run is all he has to offer...or is it?

My Opinion

I was really looking forward to this book. Ever since the last book in this series “The Immortal Hunter” when I got a glimpse at Nicholas Argeneau I wanted to know his story. I didn’t putt his book down when I was reading it started in the afternoon and read in one go till late evening just to finish it. Ok, Miss Sands is one of those favourite authors I have and I haven’t read anything bad so far from her hand (still have to read the older books) but as in many book series going on for a long time (I mean 12 books+) with this one I didn’t have a d

Edited by Rosalind

Blurb: Jade Lee - Getting Physical (18+)

When savvy business student Zoe crosses paths with sexy international businessman Stephen - a Tantric master - she's about to get a transcendent learning experience!

The sex is incredible, mind-blowing, life changing! Unfortunately, it also comes with a time limit. Because Stephen's home is on the other side of the world.

Still, Zoe's going to enjoy every moment with her skillful, exotic lover. But it isn't long before she realizes she'll have to choose. Does she want to hold on to the life she has.or have a lifetime of feeling his body move against hers?

Like there's a choice.

My Opinion

I needed a short story (being a book +/- 200 pages) and had this book lying around and though why not. Not a bad story although all in all it seems that the back story was cut short to give me, the reader, a read visual on the tantric sex part in the book. It could have been better, although not bad for a Sunday afternoon read.

Grade:6/10

Blurb: Annette Blair – Larceny and Lace

Madeira Cutler is busy opening her new vintage clothing store in what was once the town's morgue when she discovers an intruder snooping around a bunch of bones in a body drawer. Now, she'll have to dig up more than the past to solve a crime.

My Opinion

This is the second book in the Vintage Magic Mystery series. I enjoyed this one better than the first one and never thought I’d say this after the first one but I’m actually looking forward to the third one now. I have way too many questions lingering and they will probably get answered in the last instalment of the series. Great book, Good series. Not too much hocus spocus going on and just enough mystery.

Grade:7.5/10

Blurb: Susan Elizabeth Phillips – Heaven, Texas

Sent to locate former football star Bobby Tom Denton and get him to the set of his first movie, straitlaced Gracie Snow finds herself in the hands of a charmer who is determined to make her over.

My Opinion

I like it when opposites attract, especially in books. I liked this book, as it’s once more a athlete in there and one with a Texas drawl for once. For us weak-kneed women a recommended book (series)

Blurb: Carly Phillips – Lucky Break

Long ago, a witch proclaimed an eternal curse that every Corwin male who married for love would be destined to lose his woman and his fortune.... Jason Corwin knows he should resist his attraction to Lauren Perkins. But after one night of mind-blowing sex with his supposed and very seductive enemy, he can't bring himself to stay away.

All Lauren wants is to sell her late grandmother's old house and leave the past behind forever. But that's not an easy thing to do when gorgeous contractor Jason Corwin whispers sweet, sexy somethings into her ear...about staying. Then a saboteur and the promise of hidden treasure change everything, and one lucky break just might put an end to the Corwin curse....

My Opinion

The last one in the Lucky series, and also the last cousin of the Corwins. After Derek and Mike finding love (even with a curse) now it’s Jason’s turn. This was the best ending for a series, great wrap up and love can be found even with a curse on your head. (Awww) For all us hopeless romantic souls recommended series

• 3 weeks later...

Blurb:Carole Matthews - The Chocolate lover's diet

The feisty members of The Chocolate Lovers' Club are back in a mouth-wateringly delicious new novel. Join Lucy Lombard and her fellow chocolate lovers, Autumn, Nadia and Chantal, once again as they exchange gossip and sort out each other's lives in their favorite retreat, Chocolate Heaven

My Opinion

Being a sequel to a book I truly adored, there wasn’t a lot that Carole Matthews could have done wrong in this book, and she didn’t. It took me about 2 or 3 chapters to get back into the whole chocolate lovers’ thing, but that’s normal since it was a while since I read the first one. I gasped sometimes at plot twists that were in there and the romance, oh the romance, heart warming scenes that made me long for the love that was in the book.

Blurb:Nicola Marsh - Two weeks in the magnate's bed

Shipping tycoon Zac McCoy can sense there is a passionate woman behind Lana Walker's shy exterior. While aboard his luxury yacht, he'll tempt her out to play!

Lana always looks before she leaps. But the captivating captain has her throwing caution to the wind. The gloves come off, the silk dresses slip on - and the real Lana begins to emerge.

He'll have her as his temporary mistress. But as land approaches, he realizes two weeks may not be enough..

My Opinion

When reading the title, I assumed to get a sexy story about literally a woman being in the magnate’s bed for 2 weeks. It is not like that, there may be some thoughts about it, but by the end of the book it’s more like a couple of hours/days in the magnate’s bed. I did enjoy the whole work-up to the whole bed thing, but just thought sometimes it was taking too long.

Grade:6.5/10

Blurb: Christine Feehan - Dark Desire

The stranger silently summons her from across the continents, across the seas. He whispers of eternal torment, of endless hunger...of dark, dangerous desires. And somehow American surgeon Shea O'Halloran can feel his anguish, sense his haunting aloneness, and she aches to heal him, to heal herself. Drawn to the far Carpathian mountains, Shea finds a ravaged, raging man, a being like no other. And her soul trembles. For in his burning eyes, his icy heart, she recognizes the beloved stranger who's already become part of her. This imperious Carpathian male compels Shea to his side. But is she to be his healer...or his prey? His victim...or his mate? Is he luring her into madness...or will his dark desire make her whole?

My Opinion

I had a hard time really getting into the story for about the 100 first pages of the story. But persisting to read, made me discover a good story and a love that could survive the years. Many years because we’re talking Carpathians(vampire-like people). Once I was truly in the story I couldn’t put the book down and I had to keep reading chapter after chapter, just because I was so gripped by the story.

Blurb: Katie Fforde - Life Skills

In one fell swoop, Julia Fairfax leaves her career, breaks her engagement, and takes a job as a cook on a floating hotel traveling the waterways of England. Though Julia expects hard work, she figures her new life has to be simpler than her old yuppie lifestyle. What she doesn't realize is that her new boss expects the two of them to handle everything. And she never imagined she'd see Fergus aboard. Since Julia and Fergus were kids, Julia's meddling mother has said Fergus is perfect for Julia - and now he's gone and made himself indispensable. Even so, Julia's life is much simpler - that is, until she pushes her ex-fianc

Blurb: Lynsay Sands - The Key

Iliana Wildwood would do anything to escape from the depraved baron who sought her lands - including marrying a barbarian. Fleeing the highlands, Iliana was wedded to Duncan, laird to Dunbar Castle. Certainly, there was something about the virile warrior that made her weak in the knees - but something stank in the state of Scotland, and Iliana would not trust anyone until she'd discovered the source.

Determined therefore to resist her handsome husband, Iliana found a way to keep her secrets safe. Employing a belt of chastity, the spirited beauty managed to thwart the thane's advances. But then her husband changed his tactics and began a sensual assault that sent her intentions up in smoke. And as the air cleared, Iliana found it had been her heart she had locked away, and that this stubborn Scot had finally found...

My Opinion

We’re back in Scotland, I just can’t resist highlander books, even better a highlander story by one of my favourite authors. This is a sequel (but not really) on The Deed. I loved the whole interaction between Iliana and her husband Duncan I even had difficulties to not laugh out loud from time to time.

Sigh, good book, wish I had a highlander of my own.

Blurb: Louise Bagshawe – Passion

A failed marriage between Melissa Elmett and Will Hyde did a lot of damage. She was too young, he was hurt when she left him. Years later, Melissa becomes the target for a kidnap plot, a consequence of her father's ground breaking energy saving invention, and Will is the only man who can protect her. Now they're on the run, thrown together again by the pursuit of vengeance, will their passion for each other reignite?

My Opinion

I saw somewhere that this book was a cross between chick-lit and bond. After finishing it, I totally agree, some high speed chases and a romance that is impossible to forget. This was a big book(500+) pages and I forgot to check the pages before I started to read (normally I check), so this book took me longer than originally expected to read (a whole week) but it was truly worth it.

Blurb: Lora Leigh - Fyre Brand (18+ from the book Surrender to Fire)

She holds the elemental power of fire within her grasp, able to sear, to destroy. But her heart holds the fear of repeating her ancestors’ mistakes. Now, amid a world fighting to rebuild, Carmella must learn that she cannot control the power surging through her fragile body alone. She’ll need help. But can she accept the future her leader Torren has seen, and the touch of a stranger who is more than he seems?

My Opinion

I had been waiting for a long time before there was a new print of “Surrender”, the other short story in this book, since I read this in E-book format a while back and have all the other books in that series. But it included this short story “Fyre Brand” so I had to read it before I could put the book on my shelves in the read section. The story was not bad, but the curse of the short story was in there, the what and how weren’t worked out and because of that I had a hard time getting into the motives in the story. Not bad in total, very hot even, but in my opinion should be longer and I would have liked it better.

Grade:6/10

Edited by Rosalind

Blurb: Lynsay Sands - The Chase

It wasn't her first choice, for Seonaid Dunbar had, like her brother, been trained as a Scottish warrior at her father's knee; but fleeing to an abbey was clearly preferable to whacking on Blake Sherwell with her sword -- which she'd happily do before wedding the man. No, she'd not walk weakly to the slaughter, dutifully pledge troth to anyone the English court called "Angel." Fair hair and eyes as blue as the heavens hardly proved a man's worth. There was no such thing as an English angel; only English devils. And there were many ways to elude a devilish suitor, even one that King Henry ordered her to wed.

No, the next Countess of Sherwell was not sitting at home in her castle as Blake thought: embroidering, peacefully waiting for him to arrive. She was fleeing to a new stronghold and readying her defenses. Swords and sleeping drafts, Claymores and kisses. This battle would require all weapons--if he ever caught her. And the Chase was about to begin.

My Opinion

I am weak, I repeat I am weak. I should really spread the highlander books more but it’s really hard to resist a man from the highlands in that lovely kilt and a broadsword. Ok, in this one which is the 3rd one in the man is English not Scottish but he donned his (future) father-in-law’s kilt to travel to his betrothed. So still men in kilts, and me still weak kneed reading. Lovely book, sigh…