Rosalind's reading list 2009

Rosalind

Blurb: True love and other disasters - Rachel Gibson (fantastic fiction)

Disaster Number One: Men

Hard knocks and hunger taught Faith Duffy not to believe in love. Still, when she married her very wealthy - and very old - husband, she became the perfect wife. And then he went to that big bank in the sky, leaving Faith with lonely nights, a pile of money, and a total mess of a pro hockey team. Heck, Faith doesn't even watch hockey!

Disaster Number Two: Passion

But most of America and half of Canada is watching Ty Savage. His lethal sex appeal and deadly right hook make him the favorite of fans. For most of Ty's life, he's dreamed of winning the Stanley Cup. The last thing he needs is a bimbo messing up his plans.

Disaster Number Three: Love

Faith loathes Ty on sight, but she can't stop thinking about him all day . . . and night. Then a moment of temptation ends with Faith in Ty's bed, and she begins to see there's more to him than sex appeal. Ty discovers there's far more to Faith than beauty and billions. But a relationship with Faith is impossible, and falling in love - that would be a disaster.

My Opinion:

I love Rachel Gibson's books. I've read all her books beside one. And in this one she combined her writing (which I already said I love) with an other element I love hockey players. Surly hockey players to be specific. It's a good lvoe story although I would have loved it to have been 20 pages more, or maybe an epilogue. But it's a page turning chick-lit at his best.

Grade:8/10

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blurb: Meg Cabot - When Lightning Strikes (1-800-where-are-you) (fantasticfiction)

When lightning strikes there can only be trouble - as Jessica Mastriani finds out when she and best friend Ruth get caught in a thunderstorm. Not that Jess has ever really avoided trouble before. Instead of cheerleading there are fistfights with the football team and month-long stints in detention - not that detention doesn't have its good points - like sitting next to Rob - the cutest senior around! But this is trouble with a capital T - this trouble is serious. Because somehow, on that long walk home in the thunderstorm, Jess acquired a newfound talent. An amazing power that can be used for good...or for evil.

My Opinion:

I normally love Meg Cabot books, but for this one I didn't get the feel for it. I think it was because even though stated in the beginning of the book that it was a statement made (to police or whatever) every time it was repeated (In my cofession/statement) and I rolled my eyes. But beside that it's a fluent read, I'm still going to read the other books in the series but I'm hoping it's not all in statement form.

Grade:6.5/10

Blurb: Lynsay Sands - Vampire, Interrupted

After seven hundred years of life, Marguerite Argeneau finally has a career. Well, the start of one, anyway. She's training to be a private investigator, and her first assignment is to find an immortal's mother. It seemed simple enough, until Marguerite wakes up one evening to find herself at the wrong end of a sword. Now she realizes she's in way over her head.

Julius Notte wants to protect Marguerite, and not because someone just tried to take her head off. She doesn't know it yet, but she's his lifemate and he's determined to woo her. It's been over five hundred years since he last courted a woman, but surely the techniques haven't changed. Now if only he can keep her alive

• 2 weeks later...

Blurb: Barbara Taylor Bradford - The Ravenscar Dynasty

The Ravenscar Dynasty", introducing the house of Deravenel, launches Barbara Taylor Bradford's epic new series spanning a century. "Ravenscar: A house", a legacy and a dynasty. On a bitterly cold day in 1904, the Deravenel family's future changes for ever. When Cecily Deravenel tells her 18-year-old son Edward of the death of his father, brother and cousins in a fire, a part of him dies as well. Edward is comforted by his cousin Neville Watkins, who is suspicious of the deaths. The two men vow to seek the truth, avenge the deaths and take control of the business empire usurped from Edward's great uncle sixty years before. And so begins an epic saga about an astonishing family, set in extraordinary times. Handsome, charismatic and a notorious womaniser, Edward battles his cousin, Henry Grant, for control of the family empire. Elisabeth Wyland, a young widow and a great beauty, stands by his side, and they are secretly married. She is power hungry, and ambitious. But Edward also has a mistress: Jane Shaw, a constant in his life. And as Elizabeth's jealousy damages their marriage, Edward's only solace is Bess, his brilliant first born. Edward's position as the glamorous head of the Deravenels is fatally rocked when betrayal comes from within. Soon, catastrophe threatens to destroy the family and the business! Power and money, passion and adultery, ambition and treachery - all illuminate a dramatic saga set against the backdrop of the Edwardian Era and the Belle Epoque, just before the First World War.

My Opinion:

This book was on my TBR list for over a year. I never picked it up because I always had other books I wanted to read more urgently. I decided now was the time to start reading it. The book is divided in 3 parts and the 2 first part are a good read but when it gets to the final part the book lost me. Were in the first parts it was pages and pages about the same day/week/month in the last part it seems as if you get parts of the following 6-10 years and that there are parts being skipped that might be interesting to read.

Well, overall it's a good read, just a bit of a drag to the ending but when you've already read over 500 pages you're not gonna let the last part get you down.

Grade:7/10

Edited by Rosalind

Blurb: Katie MacAlister - Sex,Lies and Vampires

Take a flawed charmer named Nell, add a cursed Dark One called the Betrayer who has sold his own kind for centuries to a demon lord, and throw them together in a desperate attempt to save an innocent child...while along the way unentangling themselves from a Welsh knocker named Gigli who runs a house of ill repute for poltergeists, avoiding death by a revenge-minded vampire, and trying to convince a group of mummies that dead really does mean forever.

My Opinion:

Yes, another vampire book. Seems I'm hooked on them and since vampires are hot at the moment and there are tons of books with them in it, I don't think I will stop reading them at the moment. This one was a funny romance one. It's the 4th in the Dark Ones series and although they read great and you get to see previous characters again now and then I feel that there isn't a real red string through them. I think I would be able to read them in whatever order and not specifically the reading order. But I'm keeping the reading order, just not to get confused on a later stage.

Overall, good funny book with romance and some hot scenes (yes, vampire romance that's not suited for at least under 16 readers).

Grade:8/10

Blurb: Various - Doctor who 2009 storybook

Various authors write short doctor who stories.

My Opinion:

This is the 3rd yearly Doctor Who storybook I've read now. I like them, but then again I like the doctor. The book is a series of short stories about the adventures of the doctor and in this case Donna. There is also one story that's in comic form. It reads fast and it's only 80 pages so a few hours did the trick. It reminded me that I still have a few Doctor Who books left on my shelves that I should read. Hopefully I'll be in the mood for them soon.

Grade:7.5/10

Blurb: Robyn Sisman - A Hollywood Ending

American starlet Paige Carson is off to London to try her hand at Shakespeare, and prove that she deserves more than bimbo roles and Hollywood hunks who can't see beyond their own reflections. But stage acting is not quite what she expected. Neither is her landlord, Ed Hawkshead, a highfalutin documentary-maker who seems far from the charming, floppy-haired Brit of her daydreams.

Having a spoiled Hollywood brat - even one this attractive - as a tenant is Ed's worst nightmare. He's certain he will have to rescue her from trouble and is surprised when the tables are turned and he is the one needing help. Opposites attract as Paige and Ed must revise their assumptions about each other and rise to new challenges professionally.

My Opinion:

I liked this book a lot, although somewhere in the half of it I got a Notting hill feeling. Nothing wrong with that in general, I loved that film. It's very predictable from the moment we get to London in the book. The Hollywood part in the beginning was for me a bit long but it sets he base on getting to know our female lead and all her worries. As it is, this is one of those lovely romance books that would be nice to cuddle up with on the couch. Like I did and laughing at the whole American vs British thing. What more does a book to spent a free day need than romance and laughter.

Grade:8.5/10

• 1 month later...

Blurb: Lynsay Sands – The Rogue hunter

Samantha Willan is a workaholic lawyer. She's grateful for some rest and relaxation in cottage country, and after a recent break-up she wants to stay as far away from romance as possible. Then she meets her irresistible new neighbor. There's something strange and mysterious about his eyes. Is it just her imagination, or are they locked on her neck?

Garrett Mortimer is a rogue hunter. His last assignment united Lucian Argeneau with his life mate, and Mortimer is hoping this one will be less... adventurous. He's here to track down a reported rogue, but fun in the sun is every bloodsucker's nightmare. Worse, he can't seem to get his mind off Samantha, especially when he spies her skinny-dipping in the lake. After eight hundred years as a bachelor, is he ready to turn a volatile attraction into a lasting love affair?

My Opinion:

This is the started of the Rogue hunter books in the Argeneau series. I loved the story. I liked the fact that Mortimer is reluctant to admit that Sam is his life mate and slowly starts to fall in love with her more and more, so he has to admit at long last that Sam is his true life mate . As I love the Argeneau books all, this was as good as every other one I read about them.

Grade: 8/10

Edited by Rosalind

Blurb: Cara Summers – Twin Seduction

Jordan Ware has always had Wild West fantasies. But she's more Jimmy Choo than Tony Lama. Until her long-lost twin sister arrives.

...and they switch places! Jordan heads to Santa Fe. And ends up bunking down with her twin's hunky fianc

Blurb: Cindy Miles – Into thin air

A twelfth-century warrior-turned-Guardian Knight, Gawan of Conwyk is about to finally become mortal. But then he finds a beautiful woman by the side of the road near Castle Grimm-she is his soul mate, and it's up to him to save her life.

Ellie doesn't remember who she is or how she got to the north of England. Together they set out to solve the mystery of her almost death, but neither Ellie nor Gawan is prepared for the soul-searing passion they discover...

My Opinion

I love Highlander stories, I have a weakness for Scotsmen, but throw in an guardian knight and the finding of a soul mate and I’m swooning on my feet. This was the second book by Cindy Miles I’ve read and I fell for the love story and the Scottish accent going throughout the story. Recommend this to all the scot-loving, paranormal-reading people out there.

Blurb: Annette Blair – A veiled deception

The right dress can be magic; the wrong one - murder!

From the national bestselling author of Sensation's Witch series comes the new Vintage Magic mystery series, featuring Madeira Cutler. While opening her own vintage clothing shop, Maddie must clear her family's name when her sister's wedding festivities hit a snag: murder.

My Opinion

This is all in all the 7th book by Annette Blair I’ve read and I missed the real love story in this one that I found in the accidental witch and witch triplets series. On the other hand this being a mystery story I liked that part. I have the sequel lying on my shelves to read and I think I’m going to need it to form a good view on the series. It wasn’t bad though, I’ve never really been disappointed by one of her books.

Grade: 7/10

Blurb: Janet Evanovich – Foul play

When Amy Klasse loses her TV job to a dancing chicken, handsome veterinarian Jake Elliott rescues her with an offer to be his receptionist. Jake just can't resist a damsel in distress, and Amy certainly doesn't mind Jake's charming sincerity.

Then suddenly the job-stealing chicken disappears and Amy is suspected of foul play. Amy and Jake search for clues to prove her innocence. But will Jake be able to prove to Amy that love, too, is a mystery worth solving?

My Opinion

Hilarious is all I have to say, from the moment Jake sees Amy until he keeps trying over and over again prove to her that he loves her and has from the moment they met. It was up tempo, but I thought a little bit short, raced through it like it was an article in a magazine.

Grade: 6.5/10

Blurb: Tawny Taylor – Sex and the single ghost(18+)

In Tawny Taylor's smart, sexy, romantic romp, a love-struck ghost gets nine days--and steamy nights--back on earth.

My Opinion

I bought this book on a whim. After reading a book called Sex and the single Vampire by Katie MacAlister I thought lets see what a single ghost has to say on the topic. The ghost was really hungry for the carnal behaviour. There is also a mystery in the story, we try to find out why the main character was killed. But there is a little love story of a unanswered love for the main male and female ghost characters in the book that is so sweet, when they are not living it up on the bed/couch/ kitchen floor…

Not bad for a 18+ read, at least had some story to it

Blurb: Janet Chapman – The man must marry

When Willa Kent rented a cottage to the funny old man who showed up at her door in rural Maine, she never expected that Abram Sinclair would turn out to be the owner and CEO of a shipping empire. Or that he'd ask her to go to New York City to give his proxy vote for a new CEO since he's dying. Or that he'd ask her to choose which of his very handsome, intelligent, and very eligible bachelor grandsons should succeed him! Then Abram dies, and Willa finds out he's left everything to her - if she marries one of the grandsons within 3 months. Otherwise the company will be sold to their competitor and arch enemy at a loss. Willa flees on Abram's sailing yacht to think things through, and Sam Sinclair, the oldest brother, decides to go after her. She's naive, smart-mouthed, big-hearted, and quietly beautiful - and his pursuit isn't just about the money. And when he catches up with her, he enlists all her family, neighbours, and employees in his cause!

My Opinion

This is the first book in the Sinclair brothers series, and the first book has me now waiting anxiously for the second. Who can resist a love story like this one, he loves her - she doesn’t believe him and he needs to prove to her how much he truly loves her. Sigh I wish for such a love story for my own from time to time.

Blurb: Lynsay Sands – The immortal Hunter

Even vampires need a vacation. But Decker Argeneau's ends abruptly when he's asked to help hunt the group of rogue vampires targeting mortals -- one that might include a defector in his own family. Before he can worry about that, though, he's got to rescue the latest victim. It's all part of the job, including taking a bullet for a beautiful doctor.

Dr. Danielle McGill doesn't know if she can trust the man who just saved her life. There are too many questions, such as what is the secret organization he says he's part of, and why do his wounds hardly bleed? However, with her sister in the hands of some dangerous men, she doesn't have much choice but to trust him.

Except now Decker's talking about life mates and awakening a passion that's taking Dani beyond anything she's ever known. Being undead may not be half-bad...especially if it means spending forever with a man who would love her with his mind, body, and immortal soul.

My Opinion

I can’t say it enough, but I really like the argeneau books. This is the second in the Rogue hunter books and it has some spins to the story that was for the previous argeneaus’s almost the same. Not telling you what it is though, you have to read to books to find out. Now that I finished the last one printed up to now, I am kind of impatient for the next one to be released. Oh by the way I wouldn’t mind Decker Argeneau as my saviour(mind,body and soul) :lol:

Blurb: Allie Mackay - Tall, dark and Kilted

Cilla Swanner came to Dunroamin Castle in Scotland to get away from heartache and headache - but what she finds there may be more than she can handle. Long ago, the roguish Scottish knight known as Hardwick was cursed to wander the earth forever, pleasing a different woman each night with no hope of fulfillment or true love. Then he meets Cilla - who may be his only hope for salvation.

My Opinion

As I stated before in a previous opinion about either one of Allie Mackay’s books or the ones by Cindy Miles, I love highlander books. But put a little mystery in and a romance that sweeps even the best of us of our feet, I’m reading it. So it’s no wonder I’ve read this book. I think I melted in a puddle every now and then with the lovely Hardwick with his old fashioned ways. Not bad to read the book, it goes in quite fluently.

Grade: 7.5/10

Blurb: Rachel Gibson - Daisy's back in town

Daisy Lee Monroe thought she'd brushed the dust of Lovett, Texas, off her high-heeled shoes years ago, but she's come back home only to find that little has changed. Her sister is still crazy, and her mom still has pink plastic flamingos in her front yard. And Jackson Lamott Parrish, the bad boy she'd left behind, is still so sexy it hurts. She'd like nothing better than to avoid this particular man, but she can't. Daisy has something to say to Jackson, and she's not going anywhere until he listens.

Jackson learned his lesson about Daisy the hard way, and now the only word he's interested in hearing from Daisy's red lips is good-bye. But she's popping up everywhere, and he doesn't believe in coincidence. It seems the only way to keep her quiet is with his mouth, but kissing Daisy had once been his downfall. Is he strong enough to resist her now? Strong enough to watch her walk out of his life again? Is he strong enough to make her stay?

My Opinion:

This was the last book by Rachel Gibson I had to read to finish of all her books. In every one of her books there is a romance that struggles, but always will survive. This is what I like about her books, the certainty that love survives. My opinion on this book then: Why are all the men so ruggedly handsome, and why do they get described so well. I’m trying to say that I like the book through the stubbornness and difficult struggles for Daisy Lee and Jack to get together after 15 years.

Hiya. Reading through your TBR list is interesting. Have you tried Michael Marshall or Jack Kerley at all? You might well like these guys, as well.

Oooh, and Jeffrey Deaver. And Harlan Coben! Definitely him! :)

Hiya. Reading through your TBR list is interesting. Have you tried Michael Marshall or Jack Kerley at all? You might well like these guys, as well.

Oooh, and Jeffrey Deaver. And Harlan Coben! Definitely him! :)

Haven't tried them yet, are not on my wishlist yet either.I'll put them on there for now cause I don't seem to have room for new books on my shelves at the moment, need an other clean up on them. (Meaning the TBR list is of books I have already but still have to read)

I'm wondering what is so interesting about my TBR list though?

Blurb: Lora Leigh - Wicked Pleasure (18+)

Jaci Wright has been running from the Falladay twins, Chase and Cam, for seven years now. Fears of the desires they arouse in her, and the knowledge of the relationship they wanted with her, spurred her to run, to find a life that kept her traveling the globe and out of their reach.

But now life has come full circle. A new job has placed Jaci in the Sinclair mansion with Chase and Cam. And they're tired of waiting. It's hard enough to face accepting a relationship with two men rather than just one, but gossip and the tattered tales of juicy secrets fill the society she now moves within. Can Jaci face the world knowing she's a lover to both men, or will her hesitancy and her fears destroy her chance of happiness forever?

My Opinion

After having read other books in the bound hearts series, I didn’t like this one as much as I liked the others. It was more toned down. Still a good read for warming up lonely nights but not the thing to read when the nights are not that lonely.

Blurb: Meg Cabot - Victoria and the Rogue

Growing up in far-off India, wealthy young heiress Lady Victoria Arbuthnot was accustomed to handling her own affairs - not to mention everyone else's. But in her 16th year, Vicky is unceremoniously shipped off to London to find a husband.

My Opinion

I found this a weird read. I’m not used to Meg Cabot going all historical fiction, and all in all historical fiction for young adults. The book is quite short and easy to read, good for those few hours that I had to spare. This is by far not my favourite Meg Cabot book but still not the unreadable kind.