The Perfect Summer: Dancing into Shadow in 1911 by Juliet Nicolson

rosegarden

The Perfect Summer: Dancing into Shadow in 1911 by Juliet Nicolson

Published by: John Murrary 2006

Pages: 290 (Paperback)

ISBN-10: 0719562430

ISBN-13: 978-0719562433

Set against the backdrop of the long hot Summer of 1911 we see English life through the eyes of several different people including

**Queen Mary (who's husband George V was to be crowned the new King in May) and who 'had never felt so lonely'

**Politician Winston Churchill

**Lady Diana Manners (a debutante) who was looking forward to a Summer of relentless partying

**War Poet Siegfried Sasson who, in the middle of the summer, said 'We seemed to have forgotten that there was such a thing as the future'

**Butler Eric Horne who thought some of the noblemen and women he worked for had 'a kink in the brain'

**Trade Unionist Ben Tillett who almost brought the country to its knees through a series of industrial strikes

This is an absolutely absorbing look at the England of yesteryear, we see how life was changing especially for the under-class in society, they were beginning to question their role and the rules they were governed by.

Juliet Nicolson's detailed research could not be faulted and at the end of it I almost felt as if I had lived through the heatwave. I loved so many of the fascinating facts she gave us. Thinking about the present furore over many UK MP's expenses claims I found this nugget -

The proposed salary of

Sounds like an interesting read - I think I might pop this one on my wishlist for a future time when I don't have quite so many books sitting unread as I do now. :censored:

I read this book last summer and enjoyed it so much I'm planning to read it again. It's a great way to absorb history without it feeling like work! Around the same time I also read King, Kaiser, Czar and together they painted a fascinating and personal portrait of an era that all too often is only portrayed in political terms.

I read this book last summer and enjoyed it so much I'm planning to read it again. It's a great way to absorb history without it feeling like work! Around the same time I also read King, Kaiser, Czar and together they painted a fascinating and personal portrait of an era that all too often is only portrayed in political terms.

That's a great way of putting it! You're absolutely right - I used to quote lines from it to anyone around, usually husband, sons, as I found it so fascinating and just wanted to share it. :welcome:

The King,Kaiser,Czar book is in my local library, I checked online, so next time I'm in there I'll take a look at it, it sounds interesting, thanks. :smile2:

Carole

This sounds like an absorbing read, thanks for the information Rosegarden. I'll put it on my wish list for later reading as well .... (I've already ordered This Time of Dying on your recommendation:D).

.... too many books, too little time:blush: