Gilmore Girls

frankie

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting for them to be available on DVD/download, and then I'll buy them to watch and keep.  I only started watching after finding out about the show on here, and although I've thoroughly enjoyed watching them, I'm not desperate to see the new episodes.

As an aside, one of the quilters I follow has been making a quilt with a block that looks like a take-away coffee cup, and she's done a different cup for each of the main characters - if you're interested, the blog posts are:

Part 1 - http://duringquiettime.com/2016/10/gilmore-girls-sewalong.html

Part 2 - http://duringquiettime.com/2016/10/gilmore-girls-sewalong-continues.html

Part 3 - http://duringquiettime.com/2016/11/coffee-time.html

Part 4 - http://duringquiettime.com/2016/11/gilmore-girls-sewalong-part-4.html

Part 5 - http://duringquiettime.com/2016/11/gilmore-girls-sewalong-part-5.html

I had been considering signing up for a Netflix account just so that I could watch these episodes sooner rather than later, but after hearing mixed reactions to the new episodes I have to admit I'm not as anxious to see them anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I will watch them at some point, probably when they are released on DVD but I certainly won't be signing up for an account anytime soon.

Has anyone else seen them yet?  Any more thoughts/reactions to them?

I loved all four episodes and thought they were brilliant. :) There were always going to be people who wouldn't be happy with the show, no matter what happened. There's too much whingeing in the world. :( That's not to say it's perfect, but all in all, I loved it. I've already watched all four episodes a second time, and they were even better. :D

Don't let people put you off watching it. Just watch it and make up your own mind. Also, I did what Frankie did: I signed up for a free month of Netflix just to watch the episodes. :D You can cancel before the month ends and won't be charged.

Chesil, those coffee cups are great! I'm not a quilter, but I like the idea of doing something similar for a set of bookmarks or something...

So guys, I never did quite get myself all the way through the original seven seasons of Gilmore Girls what with one thing and another, but now I'm not sure whether to go back before watching the new episodes? I mean I know roughly how things ended so having not seen them all probaby wouldn't ruin the new four, would it?

I watched the first one right away on Friday morning, and the other three episodes Friday night.  I loved certain aspects of each episode, but I'm afraid that's all I can say for now...  :lurker:

When can you say more? :D  I'd be interested in knowing how you liked the episodes. Or if you didn't like them! 

I loved all four episodes and thought they were brilliant. :) There were always going to be people who wouldn't be happy with the show, no matter what happened. There's too much whingeing in the world. :( That's not to say it's perfect, but all in all, I loved it. I've already watched all four episodes a second time, and they were even better. :D

I can and will admit that when I first heard there'd be new episodes, I wasn't thrilled or excited at all. I thought it would ruin the greatness of the old episodes, if they botched the new ones. I remember, Kylie, how you were soooo excited, and I wasn't excited at all, in the beginning. But then, as I'd had time to digest the idea, I got really excited. I still can't believe that the episodes have now been aired and are available to watch! :D:cool: I hope there's going to be more!

Don't let people put you off watching it. Just watch it and make up your own mind. Also, I did what Frankie did: I signed up for a free month of Netflix just to watch the episodes. :D You can cancel before the month ends and won't be charged.

Oh, so you do have the Netflix free month trial over there? Yay, I'm happy for you! :D (You can also 'shop' for new TV series you'd like to watch some day while you still have Netflix :)

Chesil, those coffee cups are great! I'm not a quilter, but I like the idea of doing something similar for a set of bookmarks or something...

I saw the official GG coffee mug online, on their FB website and I really wanted one! But I'm not accustomed to ordering online, apart from a few specific places that I'm used to frequenting. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so terrible, I've been reading up on spoilers about Gilmore Girls because I couldn't wait to see if Luke and Lorelai get together. :blush2: :blush2: :blush2: I've just started Season  3, so I have loads to go. Looks like there will be some interesting times ahead - for Rory too!  :D 

When can you say more? :D  I'd be interested in knowing how you liked the episodes. Or if you didn't like them! 

At the risk of sounding like a whiner, I'll just say I loved parts of each episode but then I also hated parts as well.  Seeing everyone again and seeing Stars Hollow was wonderful, as well as seeing how people have changed and where they are in their lives.  

At the same time, I was disappointed with some of the writing and wanted more of Stars Hollow life and less of some unnecessary drama.  I was sad too that some of the old characters only made it into 1 or 2 scenes out of the whole series.  I'm also absolutely no expert, but a lot of the things that happened seemed pretty uncharacteristic for people, but maybe it's just me?

Anyway, hands down my fave scenes were the ones with the members of Hep Alien.  Fabulous stuff! :D

I'm so terrible, I've been reading up on spoilers about Gilmore Girls because I couldn't wait to see if Luke and Lorelai get together. :blush2: :blush2: :blush2: I've just started Season  3, so I have loads to go. Looks like there will be some interesting times ahead - for Rory too!  :D

:lol: :lol:  :rolol:    Now you know the

other best couple in TV history besides Jim and Pam: Luke and Lorelai <3  Not saying if they end up together or not, as I don't know how much you've actually read of the spoilers, but you know that there's this will-they-or-won't-they thing going on :) It's pure magic :wub:  

Enjoy season 3!! One of my favorites. At least Rory-wise :wub: 

At the risk of sounding like a whiner, I'll just say I loved parts of each episode but then I also hated parts as well.  Seeing everyone again and seeing Stars Hollow was wonderful, as well as seeing how people have changed and where they are in their lives.  

At the same time, I was disappointed with some of the writing and wanted more of Stars Hollow life and less of some unnecessary drama.  I was sad too that some of the old characters only made it into 1 or 2 scenes out of the whole series.  I'm also absolutely no expert, but a lot of the things that happened seemed pretty uncharacteristic for people, but maybe it's just me?

Anyway, hands down my fave scenes were the ones with the members of Hep Alien.  Fabulous stuff! :D

Hm... I hope I'm not giving you too hard a time, but I was expecting more specific things? Like examples of the things you describe above ^ ? You don't have to go into detail though, if you don't want to. I don't think you sound like a whiner at all.  :empathy:

Seen as nobody responded to my earlier message or gave me any advice, I took the plunge and watched the new episodes anyway. Thought they were fantastic to be honest. The flavour of the series was there and it was so good seeing the characters come back and interact.

:lol: :lol:  :rolol:    Now you know the

other best couple in TV history besides Jim and Pam: Luke and Lorelai <3  Not saying if they end up together or not, as I don't know how much you've actually read of the spoilers, but you know that there's this will-they-or-won't-they thing going on :) It's pure magic :wub:  

Enjoy season 3!! One of my favorites. At least Rory-wise :wub:

From what I have read of the spoilers, I've gathered that

they do stay together, even though they have a lot of ups and downs in Seasons 4-6.

But feel free to not confirm or deny. :lol: It's very hard to read spoilers when you just want a bit of a gist about what happens rather than the full gory details. :lol: So, I may have the wrong end of the stick, but I will find out soon enough, at the rate I've been watching them!

Yes, I read a few things about Rory which surprised me as well. Looks like she has many interesting things happening to her in the next few seasons. Is Paris still in the series, after high school? I hope so, as I love her character! :lol:

Oh, and I kept thinking that the actress playing Emily Gilmore looked soooo familiar, then I read that she was Baby's mother in Dirty Dancing!! I knew I'd seen her in something else!! :boogie:

Seen as nobody responded to my earlier message or gave me any advice, I took the plunge and watched the new episodes anyway. Thought they were fantastic to be honest. The flavour of the series was there and it was so good seeing the characters come back and interact.

To be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion there was only one answer to your question and I thought it was rather obvious: of course one needs to watch the rest of the series before diving in! :D  I found it rather alarming that you even had to ask...! :blush:

From what I have read of the spoilers, I've gathered that

they do stay together, even though they have a lot of ups and downs in Seasons 4-6.

But feel free to not confirm or deny. :lol: It's very hard to read spoilers when you just want a bit of a gist about what happens rather than the full gory details. :lol: So, I may have the wrong end of the stick, but I will find out soon enough, at the rate I've been watching them!

:lol: Okay, I will say this much: I won't confirm or deny :D I'll let you find out the details and results on your own :smile2: (Have you reached season 4 By now? :D Oh, that reminds me: having watched the new season and having talked to you and Kylie so much about GG has made me want to re-watch the series and I've now watched the first 4 episodes. It's been a long time since I've last watched the whole series, seasons back to back! )

Yes, I read a few things about Rory which surprised me as well. Looks like she has many interesting things happening to her in the next few seasons. Is Paris still in the series, after high school? I hope so, as I love her character! :lol:

Hm, do you want to know for sure or not? I will put it in a spoiler. So it's yes if Paris is still in after high school and no if she's not:

yes :D

Oh, and I kept thinking that the actress playing Emily Gilmore looked soooo familiar, then I read that she was Baby's mother in Dirty Dancing!! I knew I'd seen her in something else!! :boogie:

Oh yes, indeed :D Pretty odd but so cool! :D:cool: 

It's funny how things change when one ages: when I was a kid, I could relate to Rory the most and I couldnt't understand Emily at all. These days, I will follow Lorelai more closely and some things about Rory annoy me to highest heaven, and I understand Emily in a whole different way, and I find Lorelai and Emily's relationship the most interesting one, even though I used to find it so uninteresting before. Well no, I shouldn't say uninteresting... But I used to sigh when Emily came in ... Now I look forward to seeing her :)

Oh and a general note: it's so sad re-watching GG, and seing Richard come in. :( Rip, Edward Herrmann!

I see Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life is now available for pre-order on Amazon, although the release date is currently listed for December 31, 2017.  Not sure if that is correct or not or whether they may bring the date forward but it's good to get confirmation that it will definitely be released on DVD!

To be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion there was only one answer to your question and I thought it was rather obvious: of course one needs to watch the rest of the series before diving in! :D  I found it rather alarming that you even had to ask...! :blush:

Well, to be fair... I think I only missed the last season, so I thought I might get away with watching the new episodes without needing to finish season seven - partly because I was excited to see what they'd come up with/what they'd do with it, like everyone else. I was also pretty familiar with how the orginal run ended, so didn't worry too much about needing to know something that I didn't already. In the end it didn't matter anyway: I imagine I'll go back and finish season seven at some point for completeness sake, but I enjoyed the new episodes very much without going back... :mellow:

:lol: Okay, I will say this much: I won't confirm or deny :D I'll let you find out the details and results on your own :smile2: (Have you reached season 4 By now? :D Oh, that reminds me: having watched the new season and having talked to you and Kylie so much about GG has made me want to re-watch the series and I've now watched the first 4 episodes. It's been a long time since I've last watched the whole series, seasons back to back! )

I'm up to Episode 5, Season 5 so

Luke and Lorelei are finally together!!! But I've read bits and pieces about what happens next so I'm kind of dreading it. Oh, and Rory and Dean sleeping together at the end of Season 4. :thud: I didn't see that coming.

I swear Rory looks really tall in Season 5 - did she have a late growth spurt or something?? I love the Lane storyline too, although it's a shame we see less of Mrs Kim as she had some of the best one-liners. :lol:

It's funny how things change when one ages: when I was a kid, I could relate to Rory the most and I couldnt't understand Emily at all. These days, I will follow Lorelai more closely and some things about Rory annoy me to highest heaven, and I understand Emily in a whole different way, and I find Lorelai and Emily's relationship the most interesting one, even though I used to find it so uninteresting before. Well no, I shouldn't say uninteresting... But I used to sigh when Emily came in ... Now I look forward to seeing her :)

Oh yes, Emily is definitely growing on me. She's so funny - sometimes unintentionally. And I love how she has a different maid in each episode! I can relate quite a bit to Rory....I loved the ep in Season 4 where she and Paris go on Spring Break, but all they want to do is stay in their room and read/watch TV. And then they leave early, coz it's just not their scene. :lol:

I'm up to Episode 5, Season 5 so

Luke and Lorelei are finally together!!! But I've read bits and pieces about what happens next so I'm kind of dreading it.

Oh wow, you're watching fast! :D Yep, it's... complicated :(

Oh, and Rory and Dean sleeping together at the end of Season 4. :thud: I didn't see that coming.

That was a huge huge thing back in the day! And how the season ended, and one had to wait for the next season... It was just horrible :D Horribleeeeee! :D

I swear Rory looks really tall in Season 5 - did she have a late growth spurt or something??

I never noticed the tallness, but I did notice that she had a bum all of a sudden. Oh god I hope that's ... I'm sorry, I'm not that superficial usually but I couldn't help but notice the bum! And not in any negative way, because it was a good bum. 

Oh dear, have I said too much ... :unsure::blush:

I love the Lane storyline too, although it's a shame we see less of Mrs Kim as she had some of the best one-liners. :lol:

:D I was just watching the one episode where Rory is kissed by the lord, and Kim's saying to Lorelai, that she was kissed in the grocerystore... 'Where we buy our food!!' :lol: 

Oh yes, Emily is definitely growing on me. She's so funny - sometimes unintentionally. And I love how she has a different maid in each episode!

Oh yeah :D And how Richard's getting them mixed sometimes. During the first season he was confused between two maids, and Lorelai found it baffling because they were of different sexes :lol: 'One is a woman, and one is a man!' 'So?' :D 

I can relate quite a bit to Rory....I loved the ep in Season 4 where she and Paris go on Spring Break, but all they want to do is stay in their room and read/watch TV. And then they leave early, coz it's just not their scene. 

Yep that was so cool :D There's hope for the rest of us! :D

Edit: It's so much fun talking to you about this, as you're watching it for the first time, and you seem to love the series and love talking about it. It's like I get to see the show through the eyes of a new-beginner, and it's actually making me watch the show in a bit of a different way now, as I'm re-watching it :) 

Edited by frankie

Oh wow, you're watching fast! :D Yep, it's... complicated :(

I've just now finished Season 5 and started Season 6.

Lorelai has proposed and Luke has accepted, but I know it's not as simple as that. Oh, and Rory has quit Yale and moved into her grandparents pool house!!! :thud:

I never noticed the tallness, but I did notice that she had a bum all of a sudden. Oh god I hope that's ... I'm sorry, I'm not that superficial usually but I couldn't help but notice the bum! And not in any negative way, because it was a good bum.

:lol: Funny you say that, because I noticed that a few episodes ago, when she was wearing jeans and a tight top. I think it's child-bearing hips....she's still very skinny everywhere else. :D

Edit: It's so much fun talking to you about this, as you're watching it for the first time, and you seem to love the series and love talking about it. It's like I get to see the show through the eyes of a new-beginner, and it's actually making me watch the show in a bit of a different way now, as I'm re-watching it :)

Yeah, my husand is moaning that I'm GG obsessed. :giggle: I can't believe I only have 2 series to go, though. Where has the time gone? :no: I know there are still many, many things that will happen in S6 and S7, and I suppose I still have A Year In The Life to watch, but it just seems to be ending so soon. I'm dying to know who Rory ends up with (if anyone) - that's one spoiler I haven't read up on, and I'm not going to. :lol:

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of Logan....he's always got that smug smile on his face. Needs a bit of a slap, that one. :rolleyes: I've recently watched the ep where

he meets Richard and Emily for the first time, and he swaps Emily's sewing kit with a lighter, hoping she wouldn't notice. And of course Lorelai bailed him out while he sat there smugly watching the maid take the blame. :motz:

Oh, I also think Kirk is hilarious.....how many jobs has he had in Stars Hollow? I think he's worked everywhere. :lol:

I've just now finished Season 5 and started Season 6.

Lorelai has proposed and Luke has accepted, but I know it's not as simple as that. Oh, and Rory has quit Yale and moved into her grandparents pool house!!!

Yep, it was pretty mind blowing when the latter happened!

But I tell you... it made me feel a bit no-as-awful about my own studies that went on hold for a while :blush: I'd been so jealous of her being so great and smart, always, and then she ended up having problems herself! I didn't want that for her, but I did feel a bit better about my own situation :blush:  But moving to her grandparents' pool house.... That was a pretty sick twist!!  

Funny you say that, because I noticed that a few episodes ago, when she was wearing jeans and a tight top. I think it's child-bearing hips....she's still very skinny everywhere else. 

:D Yep, definite child-rearing hips :yes: She actually had a baby a while ago, Kylie informed me! :) The actor, that is, not Rory :D 

Yeah, my husand is moaning that I'm GG obsessed. I can't believe I only have 2 series to go, though. Where has the time gone? I know there are still many, many things that will happen in S6 and S7, and I suppose I still have A Year In The Life to watch, but it just seems to be ending so soon. I'm dying to know who Rory ends up with (if anyone) - that's one spoiler I haven't read up on, and I'm not going to. 

So your husband hasn't given GG a go? :D Did he even want to try it, or was he adamant that it wasn't his thing? 

You still have many wonderful things to see and witness, but yes, by your rate, the end is nigh. It's a sad inevitability! But if it makes you feel any better, it's so re-watchable! :yes: Fear not, you'll be having many blissful re-watches :) 

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of Logan....he's always got that smug smile on his face. Needs a bit of a slap, that one. I've recently watched the ep where

he meets Richard and Emily for the first time, and he swaps Emily's sewing kit with a lighter, hoping she wouldn't notice. And of course Lorelai bailed him out while he sat there smugly watching the maid take the blame.

I've never ever liked Logan... I disliked him from the get-go. He's so smug and I think he did Rory no good. So entitled and hedonistic and smug. Yes, he has his own problems, but he could do something about him. I how I detest him. 

Oh, I also think Kirk is hilarious.....how many jobs has he had in Stars Hollow? I think he's worked everywhere. 

He's done it all :D Personally, not one of my favorite characters. He annoys me :D But I'm in the minority! 

As said before, I'm watching the episode where C returns to town, and they are meeting the parents, and

Christopher's parents are seeing Rory for the first time in more than a decade, and poor Rory is put on the spot, and can't recover, and then Lorelai saves her and says, "I hate President Bush." To have a mother like that :wub:

And then when

Christopher leaves, Rachel comes back  :motz:   Oh lord!! 

I'm watching the episode where Emily visits Stars Hollow. I love her scene with Kim, doing business :D "I like that woman. And do you know what? I like these shoes!" :thud: Oh my word, she likes Lorelai's shoes!! :D

Oh mg, R has made the coffee and it tastes different. She's come and ruined the coffee  :censored:

Edited by frankie

I've never ever liked Logan... I disliked him from the get-go. He's so smug and I think he did Rory no good. So entitled and hedonistic and smug. Yes, he has his own problems, but he could do something about him. I how I detest him. 

Logan by far is at or near the top of my list of most-hated characters on television.  He's exactly what you said, Frankie and BB - smug (and all the other things as well).

He's also biggest reason for me disliking the new episodes of GG as much as I did.  But of course Rory was part of that whole dysfunctional situation too :(.