Eurovision Song Contest 2009!

Kell

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's rather disappointing that Greece didn't do better - we really thought they'd be right up there with their fantastic entry this year; and the UK did far better than we expected, finishing in the top five. And I only won a tiny amount from one of my bets - the each-way I'd placed on Turkey.

Hoorah....we got

2. Iceland

3. Azerbajan

Nae bad....shame no money on it....where has Kell gone!!

Highest points ever. Well done caterpillar eyes ... he is kinda cute:D

Well done Graham too for keeping us laughing. :censored:

Me too :censored: He should come back next year :motz:

I can't believe the UK finished 5th!

I think he`s better than Wogan, hope he does it again next year too.

5th was a good result for us. :motz:

Well it is completely different to Lordi....lol. I have just listened to it on You Tube....boy were they scarey :censored:

....where has Kell gone!!

I'm here! I've just been sorting out my blog entry on Eurovision and am desperately awaiting someone to fill in the details on Wiki of all the final positions because I didn't pay attention and now can't remember where Greece, Armenia, Ukraine and Albania finished and I need the details to complete my entry! :censored:

Well, I have to say this won over Orlando Bloom on Ch 4 in the end, LOL. Was a bit better than previous years with less stupid costumes and songs. I know they said the voting was to be fairer but there is still block voting, I mean you almost knew the Eastern bloc would vote for their neighbours, or Sweden for Norway etc..

Still, I think we did well to come 5th and she was obviously a bit nervous, didn't she nearly get hit in the eye with a violin bow:blush:

Didn't really rate the winning song, in fact there wasn't any that really DID it for me but at least it was more watchable than previous years.

Oh, and are Greece our new best friends for giving us deuze points:lol:

My thoughts so far:

Loving the big screens set-up on stage - very high-tech!

Entrants:

Lithuania - very good performance with an unusual song. Good start to the comp.

Israel - semi-decent performance, but nothing special. Only worth noting because sung by an Israeli Arab and an Israeli Jew

France - Very Edith Piaf

Sweden - Hideous opera nonesense

Iceland - Very strong performance

That would be the 2006 winners for Finland - Lordi. They were awesome!

Agreed, agreed, agreed, AGREED! Very good opinions Kell :):censored:

I watched the show last night but was too tired to come online and comment. My favorites included Norway, Malta, Iceland and some other countries I cannot remember. I hated Greece! And UK, I'm so sorry to say this but why did you have that kind of a song there? I thought the lyrics were awful and somehow pompous and pretentious :( I'm saying this only because I think UK has some of the best bands in the world and you'd think you would have resources for sooo much better! I hope none of you take offence.

Edit: I read more of the thread and I have to say Kell your comments are brilliant, they made me laughs so hard! You're probably a good host to have for a Eurovision night :motz:

I forgot that I also liked Turkey! And yeah, Finland was ... well, Finland! At least we got 22 points I think which is quite a lot for us but we still managed to come in last :motz: As a Finn I have to voice my opinion and I just think that our entry for this year, Waldo's People was better than our usual acts which are always catastrophic. No match for Lordi of course but I think we did okay this year when you take into consideration our awful Eurovision history. :(

Edit no. 2: I was also wondering why Ronan Keating would make a song for Denmark. But it was really really weird because the contestant sounded almost exactly like him!! Really spooky.

And poor me, when you were talking about Graham Norton hosting the show I thought he was actually going to be in Moscow doing the show!!! Hmph!!! Boy was I disappointend.

Edited by frankie

My favourites were the top five! I think the right one won and I'll remember this one for a long time compared to some of ours which I have just forgotten through sheer apathy!

I didn't vote but I would have broken the bank for Azerbaijan and Iceland! I thought the Iceland one was beautiful but then I am more into classical opera type of music ....

Finland, Germany and Spain ... what the heck?

Well in my opinion Sweden was much worse than Finland. It was like Nightwish's Tarja Turunen had put on a blonde wig and was doing pretentious opera on speed. She must have glued her eyelids to her forehead, she never seemed to close her eyes and she seemed like she was having some manic condition!

Edited by frankie
typos

frankie, with regards the UK, none of our decent singers/bands/writers will get involved with Eurovision, because it's basically far too embarrassing to do so! Especially with the political voting that got so bad recently.. I think we would have come near the bottom no matter what!

Andrew Lloyd Webber got involved this year, to try to give us a boost.. but I don't think he's the right person - he writes for musicals, not pop! :censored:

frankie, with regards the UK, none of our decent singers/bands/writers will get involved with Eurovision, because it's basically far too embarrassing to do so! Especially with the political voting that got so bad recently.. I think we would have come near the bottom no matter what!

Andrew Lloyd Webber got involved this year, to try to give us a boost.. but I don't think he's the right person - he writes for musicals, not pop! :censored:

Michelle I think that's true for most countries, it's too embarrassing to get involved with Eurovision if you're already 'someone'. But France's own Patricia Kaas was bold enough to come and compete! Well and look what happened to her, no landslide with the votes... So with Eurovision nothing is really sure!

I know Lloyd Webber and I have no idea what he was thinking composing for the Eurovision. The entry did sound very musicalish. He should stick to what he knows so well.

Hello folks

Well I missed out on all the fun last night, I should have taken my lap top upstairs with me and joined in.

I had a great night in Russia, apart from the red wine flood on the bedside table but I wont dwell on that!

I have to say all my doubts were laid aside about Graham Nortan.......he made the night........not sure about the fish bowls though I had bad dreams about them! Wow folks what a fairytail ending ..........highest votes ever!

I read more of the thread and I have to say Kell your comments are brilliant, they made me laughs so hard! You're probably a good host to have for a Eurovision night

Thank you! I used to host a Eurovison party every year for the final and I always blog my thoughts as I go along (if you click on my Life Gets in the Way link in my sig, you can read the whole shebang).

Michelle I think that's true for most countries, it's too embarrassing to get involved with Eurovision if you're already 'someone'.

Actually, many of the other countries involved take it very serieously and use established performers as well as releasing their entry as a single in their own country. In many cases it can further their career in their own countries - it's only us cynical Brits and a few others who tend to break the careers of their entrants because we usually enter such drivel. :censored:

Well I missed out on all the fun last night, I should have taken my lap top upstairs with me and joined in.

I had a great night in Russia, apart from the red wine flood on the bedside table but I wont dwell on that!

You mean you were actually IN RUSSIA and didn't go to Eurovision??!!!! I'm quite shocked!:motz:

Oh, and are Greece our new best friends for giving us deuze points:lol:

So, that's how it works now,huh? :censored:

I only saw a few entries and the voting result. I think that Iceland had a pretty good song. As soon as the winner started to sing, I remembered why I didn't like him the first time I saw him...he got such a stupid expression while singing! :motz:

I actually woke up with the Norwegian entry in my head today, gah!

ME TOO!!!!!! Only it was just the 1st 2 lines & I couldn't figure out where I knew thats song................then about an hour later it hit me - like a brick!

Brilliant results for the UK, but I didn't like the song. Far too West End-ie. They need someone like Take That (Gary Barlow) or some other popular group/song writer - to write the song, imo, at least.

I've had Jan Jan (the Armenian entry) stuck in my head all day. Fortunately, it's one that I like!