Stone's Fall: A Novel - Iain Pears

Peacefield

I finally received my copy of Stone's Fall!! I'm excited to start reading it tonight :readingtwo:. It was just released last week in the U.S., and I think the UK as well.

Here is the jacket description:

In his most dazzling novel since the groundbreaking New York Times bestseller An Instance of the Fingerpost, Iain Pears tells the story of John Stone, financier and arms dealer, a man so wealthy that in the years before World War I he was able to manipulate markets, industries, and indeed entire countries and continents.

A panoramic novel with a riveting mystery at its heart, Stone's Fall seeks to discover why John Stone dies, falling out of a window at his London Home. Chronologically the store moves backward - from London in 1909 to Paris in 1890 and finally to Venice in 1867 - and the attempts to uncover the truth play out against the backdrop of the evolution of high-stakes international finance, Europe's first great age of espionage, and the start of the twentieth century's arms race.

At once a murder mystery, a love story, and a quest, Stone's Fall is an intricately plotted and richly satisfying puzzle - an erudite wedding of history and fiction that feels utterly true and uncannily timely - and marks the triumphant return of one of the world's great storytellers.

This sounds good Peacefield. I loved Instance at the Fingerpost and I've read a lot of his other books revolving around Art thefts in Italy. This is my sort of era so I shall look forward to checking this one out too.:readingtwo:

This sounds good Peacefield. I loved Instance at the Fingerpost and I've read a lot of his other books revolving around Art thefts in Italy. This is my sort of era so I shall look forward to checking this one out too.:readingtwo:

Yeah, SueK, his Jonathan Argyle art-history mysteries are lots of fun. I always wished he would continue on with them. Hopefully one day he will! I loved Instance of the Fingerpost also. Have you read his Dream of Scipio?

Blinking heck! I'm going to be spending a tonne of cash at the weekend. I remember you and I talking about how much we loved An Instance Of The Fingerpost!

I must buy this book now!

:readingtwo: