The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee

chesilbeach

The blurb from the inside cover:

November, a dark, rainy Tuesday, late afternoon. This is my ideal time to be in a bookstore. The shortened light of the afternoon and the idleness and hush of the hour gather everything close, the shelves and the books and the few other customers who graze head-bent in the narrow aisles.

In The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop, Lewis Buzbee celebrates the unique experience of the bookstore - the smell and touch of books, getting lost in the deep canyons of shelves, the silent community of readers. He shares his passion for books, which began with the Weekly Reader in grade school. Woven throughout is a fascinating historical account of the bookseller trade - from the great Alexandria library with an estimated one million papyrus scrolls to Sylvia Beach's famous Paris bookstore, Shakespeare & Co., that led to the extraordinary effort to publish and sell James Joyce's Ulysses.

For anyone who loves the the very tactile nature of books, this gem is a must. The author has worked in bookshops as well as a publisher's sales representative from an early age, and has spent a lifetime enveloping himself in the world of books.

He describes how the first spark the stated his fascination with books, the bookshops that inspired his choice of career, and the current state of the book industry. But more than this, he tells the history of the book itself, as well as the education he received from others on the make up of the book, with facts about books and bindings casually mixed with tales of how he learned the information himself. There is more of an emphasis on the constantly changing face of book selling in the last thirty of so years, and the effect of the internet and technology in the current publishing industry, and a look to where the future may take books.

After learning an important lesson as a young man about judging people by they read, there is no prejudice or elitism about readers or books, or about independent bookshops, multi-national chain stores, or even internet sellers, just an account of one persons continued love of books.

For all book lovers, as well as book shop addicts, this book is a must, although it should come with a warning, as it will make you want to hunt out every bookshop in every place you ever go!

Glad to be of service!

I have to admit, I'd never heard of it, but came across it by accident on a visit to a new independent bookshop where it was just on top of a display case. I was drawn to the cover and unusual binding, and then when I read the blurb, knew I had to have it.

• 3 months later...