The Carnegie Shortlist

Glowmay

Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd caught my attention. It sounds like it could be an intriguing story. :) None of the others really interests me, though...

Oh, I just noticed that you're reading it. Is it any good?

Edited by Scarlette

Yeah, quite good. Historical, with mystery.

Hmm... I suppose these wouldn't interest adults too much (I am assuming that you are older than me)... They're meant for readers ages around 11-16 or something like that...

Edited by Glowmay

Hmm... I suppose these wouldn't interest adults too much (I am assuming that you are older than me)... They're meant for readers ages around 11-16 or something like that...

Personally, I don't find that a turn-off at all. I'm discovering that with a lot of new books there seems to be a higher standard for children's/YA fiction than not, hence I find myself wandering more and more often towards that section in bookstores. It is usually a rewarding expedition.

Out of those mentioned, "Ostrich Boys" sounded really intriguing.

Wow wow wow. I need me a copy of Ostrich Boys. I live in Cleethorpes so that'd be proper interesting! I just realise who this book was by, silly me. He was a friend of my primary school teacher and she used to read us his books as he submitted them to publishers so I'm really amazed and glad he's gained some popularity and what not. If anyone does read this and likes it may I suggest Creepers.

On another note, my school did that Carniege thing years ago. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone won by like, miles unsuprisingly. I think quite a few of them sound quite interesting tbh. Like BookJumper I'm older but occasionally dabble with yound adult books and more often than not I'm pleased with what I find. The only thing that matters is if the language is adult and not... mmm, too basic I suppose.

Edited by Natty

The list looks great, I would be happy to read any of the titles. I've read Kate Thompson's Switchers trilogy and like her style, so I would be interested in 'Creature Of The Night', and 'The Knife Of Never Letting Go' looks intriguing.

I may have a surf and see if anywhere is offering special deals for these books.

Damn, my TBR pile is too big as it is! :)

The only thing that matters is if the language is adult and not... mmm, too basic I suppose.

I find that the best children books actually use more interesting, challenging language than most chart adult novels... two examples off the top of my head: Walter Moers' "The City of Dreaming Books" (about a dinosaur writer trawling perilous catacomb-libraries in search of the mysteriously disappeared author of the best short story in hustory - haven't finished it yet but I already know it's awesome), and believe it or not the "Lemony Snicket" books (which actually have little in-built vocab lessons to allow the kiddies to learn really fancy words).

On another note, my school did that Carniege thing years ago. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone won by like, miles unsuprisingly. I think quite a few of them sound quite interesting tbh. Like BookJumper I'm older but occasionally dabble with yound adult books and more often than not I'm pleased with what I find. The only thing that matters is if the language is adult and not... mmm, too basic I suppose.

Oh, yes. We were talking about that the other day, and how they don't tend to pick books from series or trilogies or you get the point.

But there is one on there that's the first of a trilogy.

...But I can't remember the title :)

I've read The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, and thought it was excellent. A very good book I'd recommend to anyone who's looking for something a bit different in the fantasy genre.

I've also read Airman. I didn't know what to expect with this one, though I've read Colfer's Artemis Fowl books. It is very different to them, much more serious and hard-hitting (though it still has flashes of the Colfer humour). It was also very good, though I enjoyed Patrick Ness's book more.

Oh, yes. We were talking about that the other day, and how they don't tend to pick books from series or trilogies or you get the point.

But there is one on there that's the first of a trilogy.

...But I can't remember the title :D

Haha :D

On another note I got a really nice email from Keith Gray the other day. Reading this prompted me to email him about when he read at out school and such like. He's a super nice chappy. x

Haha :)

On another note I got a really nice email from Keith Gray the other day. Reading this prompted me to email him about when he read at out school and such like. He's a super nice chappy. x

Oh, I know which one it is now. It's The Knife of Never Letting Go. Because I'm reading it at the moment I can tell you that on the side of the white copy it says "Chaos Walking Book One". :D

I've read Airman by Eoin Colfer. - I think I remember being impressed.

Ooh, that's encouraging. I think I'll be reading that after the knife of never letting go.

Although one of my friends is saying that it's not too exciting :)