The Harper Connelly Series by Charlaine Harris

Kate

grave-sight.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

Harper Connelly had a lucky escape when she was hit by lightning: she didn't die. But sometimes she wishes she had died, because the lightning strike left her with an unusual talent: she can find dead people - and that's not always comfortable. Everyone wants to know how she does it: it's a little like hearing a bee droning inside her head, or maybe the pop of a Geiger counter, a persistent, irregular noise that increases in strength as she gets closer. It's almost electric: a buzzing all through her body, and the fresher the corpse, the more intense the buzz. Harper and her brother Tolliver make their living from finding the dead, for desperate parents, worried friends . . . and police departments who have nowhere else to look. They may not believe in her abilities, but sometimes the proof is just too much for even the most sceptical of police chiefs to deny. But it's not always easy for someone like Harper, for the dead *want* to be found - and too often, finding the body doesn't bring closure; it opens a whole new can of worms.

I really enjoyed this book. It is the first Harris book I have read and I was gripped. We are introduced to Harper Connelly and her step-brother Tolliver. Having been struck by lightning at the age of 15 Harper was left with a unique gift - she finds dead people. This talent takes her to Sarne to find the body of a missing teenager. When found however, the town goes nuts. To separate Tolliver and Harper, Tolliver is arrested and thrown in jail, and Harper has several attacks on her life. In the midst of this, she does some investigating work, and this small town reveals some dark secrets...

This is the first book in the Harper Connelly series, and if all the books are this good, we will be in luck! This is an exciting, engaging and gripping book. I really enjoyed how Harris wrote. Even though Harper's talent is questionable, I found myself pulled into the story and believing what was written. I was trying to solve the mystery too.

I enjoyed reading all the characters and the setting. I chuckled at the fact Sarne had been written as the stereotypical hill-billy small-town, with in-breeding. That did make for a fun read! I thought the way Harper and Tolliver were written were great. I connected with both of them and liked how Harris wrote in their history so we understood them better.

I don't have any complaints about this book - I loved it. This is a must-read.

10/10

grave-surprise.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

A bolt of lightning struck Harper Connelly when she was 15, leaving her with a strange spider web of red on her torso and right leg, episodes of weakness, shakes and headaches - and an ability to find dead people. Harper is summoned to Memphis to demonstrate her unique talent, but there are still plenty of sceptics, even as Harper stands atop a grave and announces there are two bodies buried there. The police are convinced there's something fishy going on when the grave is opened to reveal the centuries-dead remains of a man, which they'd expected (that being his grave, after all) and a dead girl, which no one expected - except Harper, of course. And suspicions are raised even further because Harper had failed to find eleven-year-old Tabitha Morgenstern when she was abducted two years before. Harper and Tolliver need to find the real killer to prove Harper's innocence, especially after their nocturnal visit to the cemetery in hopes that Harper can sense something more is followed by the discovery, the following morning, of a third dead body in the grave . . .

This is the second book in Harris' Harper Connelly series - and pretty much as good as the first. There is a reason why I have only heard good things about this series - her writing is exciting and engaging; her characters are realistic and her storylines, and the suspense as they unfold are perfect.

In this book, we travel from Saines to Memphis with Harper and Tolliver - her step-brother. She is going to give a demonstration of her ability to a group of university students. The old grave yard has a surprise in store for her though - in the oldest, darkest grave, is a recent body. The body, an 11 year old girl called Tabitha, who Harper had been looking for 18 months ago. Coincidence? Harper sets out to find out. Yet the grave has one more surprise for her. When she goes back, another new body is in there. How are the two related? What is the key? Alongside this, Harper learns more about the supernatural and has to struggle with her feelings for Tolliver.

There is a lot to this book, yet it reads quickly. It is exciting, thrilling even. I was starting to think there was something deeper between Tolliver and Harper, so I am glad that has started to be explored. There are links back to the previous book, to allow the story to continue, and keeps other storylines open, such as the disappearance of their sister Cameron. I think that is important and very well done.

I liked all the characters. All of them seemed believable. There are issues all of them face, and I like how Harris explores things such as grief and sexual orientation, as well as families and religion.

I read this book in two sittings. You will not want to put it down - it is fabulous, a must-read.

10/10

Ooh, Paula just said I could join a Harper Connelly book ring, and then I found this Kate!

I'll join it, if I find out how to do so.

It's difficult being a complete moron with an IQ comparable to room temperature, you know...:)

Ooh, Paula just said I could join a Harper Connelly book ring, and then I found this Kate!

I'll join it, if I find out how to do so.

It's difficult being a complete moron with an IQ comparable to room temperature, you know...:)

You are not a moron and your name has been added to the list :)

Haha.. hush! You're not a moron! :)

So excited you get to read some of Charlaine Harris... I recently read her "Grave Sight" myself and I loved it. Let us know how you do once it gets around to you. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

an-ice-cold-grave.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

Harper Connelly was struck by lightning as a teenager, and now she can find the dead. In her third case, Harper and Tolliver, her stepbrother, are hired to find a missing grandson. But the truth is far worse than a single dead child, for numerous teenage boys, all unlikely runaways, have disappeared from Doraville, North Carolina. Harper soon finds the eight bodies, buried in the half-frozen ground, but then, still reeling from coming into contact with her first serial killer, she is attacked and injured. Now she and Tolliver have no choice but to stay in Doraville while she recovers, and as she reluctantly becomes part of the investigation, she learns more than she cares to about the dark mysteries and long-hidden secrets of the town: knowledge that makes her the most likely person to be next to end up in an ice-cold grave.

This is the third book in Harris' Harper Connelly series, and of course, is as good as the other two - both of which I gave top-ratings too.

In this installment, Harper is in South Carolina. The grandmother of a missing teenage boy has contacted them to see if she can find his body. Not only does Harper find the body of one boy, she finds the bodies of eight. In this small town, a serial killer is at large. At once the place is swarming with police and the media. However, having had his dirty secret revealed by Harper, she is his next victim, and he lands her in hospital. Yet that is not the end of his man nor the investigation...

Well, this is by far the most creepy, what with it being a serial killer, who did horrific things to the boys before their deaths. Along with the suspense is an engaging and exciting book. Harris does not whip out of writing about the horrors of rape and torture - and although that is very sinister, it adds to the book. As ever, she continuesstory lines from the other two books - such as Tolliver's and Harper's changing relationship and their missing sister Cameron.

I love this series and am so looking forward to the next one, which is out later this year (2009). Harris is gripping and exciting. I love the way she writes and her characters. I enjoy reading about Harper, the realism in her physical pain and the way she becomes emotionally involved with the cases and the people. I highly recommend this book and the entire series.

10/10

I am so glad you enjoyed it :censored: 'An Ice Cold Grave' is my favourite of the series, it had the right mix I thought, the horrors of the murders were the main thing but they did not cloud the book (sorry if I am repeating anything you have said Kate), Charlaine Harris has a great gift of building suspense, etc, whilst at the same time, showing the emoton of the characters and how hard it is for Harper, her job, etc

I am looking forward to reading 'Grave Secret' :motz:

Great review again, Kate!

I just reserved "Grave Surprise" from the library yesterday, and I hope it comes in soon. I'll reserve "An Ice Cold Grave" as soon as I finish the 2nd book. :welcome:

Thanks for posting your reviews on these books!

My pleasure. I hope you enjoy them Bethany. Like Gyre, I can't wait for the next book either. I've already started speculating - for example what do we think happened to Cameron? And what will happen to Tolliver and Harper's relationship? What do others think?

My pleasure. I hope you enjoy them Bethany. Like Gyre, I can't wait for the next book either. I've already started speculating - for example what do we think happened to Cameron? And what will happen to Tolliver and Harper's relationship? What do others think?

I know Tolliver's older brother appears in the next book and there is some news on Cameron.

I'm hoping that they'll find Cameron's body, but I'm not sure whether they will. Like Gyre, I've heard there is news on Cameron, so I guess something must happen. I think one of the relatives will be completely against their relationship, maybe Tolliver's brother? I think they'll stay together though, they've waited a long time for it to happen to just let it go so easily.

• 4 months later...
Glad to see that there are others who enjoy this series too. Well so far I only read the first one but the second arrived yesterday on my doorstep, so I quickly have to finish "The Testament" and then I can start...

Hi KimmyS, how are you? I hope you enjoy the rest of the series, my favourite so far is 'An Ice Cold Grave' (the third book), we are all patiently (well maybe not patiently :motz:) waiting for the fourth book, 'Grave Secret'

:smile2:

Hi KimmyS, how are you? I hope you enjoy the rest of the series, my favourite so far is 'An Ice Cold Grave' (the third book), we are all patiently (well maybe not patiently :lol:) waiting for the fourth book, 'Grave Secret'

:)

When is the next book out?

• 1 month later...

The hardback version is out in Jan 2010 according to Amazon. I usually like to wait for the paperback but I might have to get this as I don't think I can wait!! I have read all the others and thought they were excellent so I'm looking forward to this one.

Perky

The hardback version is out in Jan 2010 according to Amazon. I usually like to wait for the paperback but I might have to get this as I don't think I can wait!! I have read all the others and thought they were excellent so I'm looking forward to this one.

Perky

Hi Perky, how are you? I love the series too, the dates on amazon are now ~

21 Jan 2010 (as you mentioned Perky)

27 Oct 2009!!! (but only to buy from private sellers!)

:)

• 4 months later...

9780575085534.jpg

Waterstones Synopsis:

When she was 15, Harper Connelly was struck by a bolt of lightning, which left her with a spiderweb of red over her body, headaches, and episodes of weakness. Sometimes her right hand shakes. And she can find dead people. It's taken a while, but at last Harper's pretty happy with her life: she's making a living, using her unique talent to help people, and she's got a lover - her stepbrother Tolliver. That creeps some people out, but though they grew up together, and got each other through the real bad times - their parents' drug-use, the abuse, the disappearance of Harper's elder sister Cameron - they're not blood relatives. Then Tolliver's dad arrives on the scene, seeking forgiveness for the sins of their youth, and the police get a tip-off that after all these years, Cameron's been spotted in a mall. With all this going on Harper realises life is getting a little complicated, but she doesn't expect those complications to include Tolliver getting shot, or watching a cop die taking a bullet for her. Harper can find dead people, but now it's clear someone wants her dead ...

This is the fourth book in Charlaine Harris' Harper Connelly Series. This book is just as good as the other three, with Harper starting the book by finding a dead body. However, what she uncovers makes some very unhappy. This book is slightly different from the previous novels because there is more emphasis on her family and her childhood. A large chunk of this book focuses on her search for her missing sister Cameron and with dealing with issues in her past.

Like with the previous novels I was gripped from the beginning and thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was not my favourite but that is because I would have liked more focus on her occupation. That said, the mystery surrounding those who wanted her dead did make a good read and there was no lack of action in the book. There were a couple of twists, one I saw coming, the other I did not.

As ever I liked Harper and I thought she grew up a lot in this book. She came to some realisations concerning family and her little sisters which showed a lot of maturity. I didn't like her new relationship with Tolliver - I preferred them as brother and sister; but everything else I liked reading about.

This is fast-paced and action packed. There are mysteries and serious issues well dealt with in my opinion. The story seems to be concluded in this book, but hopefully Harris will write more. I love this series and highly recommend it. This is well worth reading.

4/5

I read this last month and agree with a lot of what you say i did almost prefer when Harper and Tolliver were brother and sister rather than together too, and again like you I also got the impression that this might have been the last in the series which would be a real shame as i have really enjoyed it.