The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Nollaig

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole thing with Midnight Sun is :lol: and I'll tell you why. She begins writing and wants to do it in complete secrecy. When you do that, you show your drafts to NO ONE. And even if you them, you give them to one, barely two people, not 7-8! And not only that, but she also change some parts, so that in case it was leaked she would know who did it, which means that she didn't completely trust these people. Makes her look kinda stupid, right?

And then, she's hurt and will write no more, as if fans won't buy the book once they've seen the draft and it's so hard to write the same book from another person's point of you.

I don't know, it seems really silly to me.

I'm going to read BD after I'm finished with Brideshead Revisited.

Personally, I have little or no respect for Smeyer as an author. Her writing is terrible. Her concepts unoriginal and/or badly executed. And the entire thing goes off the rails on so many levels by book four.

But if, after ALL this emo whining about the leaked draft and 'I'm not finishing it. I'm not', she DOES finish it, I will lose what little respect (if any) I have for her as a person too.

teamedward - that comment was from June 2008 before the leak. The last statement on her website about it is from August 2008 (post leaked draft) and says "... I feel too sad about what has happened to continue working on Midnight Sun, and so it is on hold indefinitely."

The whole thing with Midnight Sun is :lol: and I'll tell you why. She begins writing and wants to do it in complete secrecy. When you do that, you show your drafts to NO ONE. And even if you them, you give them to one, barely two people, not 7-8! And not only that, but she also change some parts, so that in case it was leaked she would know who did it, which means that she didn't completely trust these people. Makes her look kinda stupid, right?

Totally agree. She's punishing the fans, for the leak from someone she trusted with manuscript, it's her own damn fault and the fans suffer for it. Not impressive really.

Hopefully she'll change her mind one day, Kell :lol:. If you want to read it, Joe, Meyer has it posted on her website.

See I never knew she had one planned, just that she was not doing one. I am sure she will do it, if she had the book in mind, when the money dries up and the fame shrivels away. :D

I do agree, what a silly or a rather trusting person she is. If that was me and I was starting to write one for of the most popular books of the year, I would not show anyone other than my publicist and my OH, thats it. To show that many people (If that is true, is rather, well, for me unbelieveable) and then to go, well sorry now I am not going to write anymore, is just childish. :lol:

In a way I have to disagree with you (sorry!) I think it is rather respectable that she has decided to put aside the almost guaranteed money and success that Midnight Sun would have given her in order to follow what she believes is right in her heart. As an author, to have your work displayed in such a way can be such a violating experience. To me, it shows a lot of character in her to go against her publisher and the fans and decide not to publish something that she doesn't feel as emotionally connected to anymore. It is a nice change from the writers out there who are only in it for the money and fame.

I think it shows a lot of immaturity, but there you go. I think she wants the attention.

I tend to agree with you.

Also not many people would have read it (if they were certain a book was coming out), as most book people, buy books unlike, music fans where most of the fans are about MP3s now and not collecting vinyl, with book fans they would have more than likely would have bought the book anyway to add to their collection or just got it from the library.

At the end of the day if you are stupid enough to hand out your work to people who you obviously did not trust (if you are going to have changes in every copy!) then that for me means that you kind of deserve for it to have been leaked.

Admit you made a mistake, say that you will complete the book, the way you wanted it and move on. Did this not happen to Harry Potter one year? A hacker got the Deathly Hallows US version right? and she just asked her fans not to give into temptation as it was not the final draft and to please wait for the actual book. She tried not to make a big deal of it, so not to ruin it for the true fans.

I suppose it is a case of, you don't know how you would react unless it happened to you.

In a way I have to disagree with you (sorry!) I think it is rather respectable that she has decided to put aside the almost guaranteed money and success that Midnight Sun would have given her in order to follow what she believes is right in her heart. As an author, to have your work displayed in such a way can be such a violating experience. To me, it shows a lot of character in her to go against her publisher and the fans and decide not to publish something that she doesn't feel as emotionally connected to anymore. It is a nice change from the writers out there who are only in it for the money and fame.

I agree with you, completely, CaliLily. I almost feel sorry for Meyer, because all the fame this Saga has brought her came with just as much (if not more) criticism. I have to wonder about the series in general: what if the world didn't go Twilight crazy about it? Would she and series still be seen in the same light it is now? I doubt it. I think this is a good example of fame and fortune gone wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Jacob keeps pointing out that he's the best suitor for Bella and that she's in love with him too.

What happens at the end of Eclipse? Oh yeah. She admits that and actually, so does Edward. :D:lol:

Give me a woody smell, a hand carved wolf and

sex before marriage

anyday. :lol:

I like your thinking Noll.....I prefer Jacob in the end too. Thought his character was more 'real' if you know what I mean. Just finished Eclipse thank goodness.

I love to hate them. I thoroughly enjoy reading them and watching the movies, but they're not exactly what I'd call...... remotely good. They're horribly written, they go off the wall and while there are some great ideas, great backgrounds and some great characters, anything exhibiting signs of greatness is firmly pushed to the back without being made use of, so all you're left with is mediocre, unbelieveable angsty teen drama and frustration about how great these books COULD have been.

I think you are right too Nollaig and the sad part is I am reading a fantastic book at the moment but the whole time am looking at my bedside at Breaking Dawn and Eclipse just begging me to read them, I also never buy books anymore unless they are from a 2nd hand store and I bought both of these.