Hannibal movies question?

Hansika

I have just bought silence of the lambs, hannibal and hannibal: the rising and i was just going to start watching them when i noticed theres a 4th called red dragon can i watch the other 3 without seeing red dragon or will it make no sence? thank you (sorry about spelling)

I am 99% sure that Red Dragon was the third movie in the series. I think it went 'Silence of the Lambs', 'Hannibal', 'Red Dragon' and then 'Hannibal Rising', which was a prequel to the other movies. Therefore, you would be cool to watch 'Silence of the Lambs' and 'Hannibal' before watching 'Red Dragon'. Definately get Red Dragon though, it was probably my favourite of the four!

I found this on wikipedia,

Red Dragon is, in publishing chronology, the first story in the Lecter saga (Hannibal Rising, a later-published origin story, was released on February 9, 2007). Red Dragon's story takes place before the events in The Silence of the Lambs, and after Lecter's original capture and incarceration. While Lecter plays a central role, Red Dragon focuses more on the characters of Will Graham and the tortured serial killer, Francis Dolarhyde.

I haven't seen Red Dragon, but I have seen Manhunter, the earlier version of this story. Manhunter is excellent, with a very understated Brian Cox playing our favourite cannibal.

Ooh, you've got me all Lectered! I may have to dig the books out again for a re read! :roll:

I have seen Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal but not the other two. I'm not in a hurry to see Red Dragon because I think the second one wasn't brilliant. Silence of the Lambs is a classic and sadly Hannibal didn't live upto it for me (although I'm a big fan of Julianna Moore and Gary Oldman).

Oh oh oh this is one of my favourite series'! ;)

The order to be read (not released) should be 'Hannibal Rising', 'The Red Dragon' (the title of the book and later the film which was a remake of 'Manhunter'), 'Silence of the Lambs' and finally 'Hannibal'.

They were all brilliant in my humble opinion, but I can't wait to see what others think! :roll:

Hi guys. Charm is quite correct in the chronology what-sit. However, I would personally (obviously this is highly subjective) read them in this order: Red Dragon; Silence of the Lambs; Hannibal; Hannibal Rising.

The reason I would read them in this order is because, as one bangs through them, one begins to empathise with Lecter (I hope this is universal, otherwise I'm going to need to see a Psychiatrist pronto!) and then when one reads Hannibal Rising, you understand how he arrives at this state from his origins. I enjoyed them this way round, anyway. But you're probably better off following Charms advice, because my middle name is 'Oftenwrong'...:)

Ooo thanks for that Charm, I'll have to get Hannibal Rising, I nearly picked it up the other day, but didn't for some reason, but I want to read the series soon, so I'll have to grab it :D

Oh do! I saw a brand new hardback copy of it in a Bargain Books for 99p! Do you guys have this book store chain over there?

Hi guys. Charm is quite correct in the chronology what-sit. However, I would personally (obviously this is highly subjective) read them in this order: Red Dragon; Silence of the Lambs; Hannibal; Hannibal Rising.

The reason I would read them in this order is because, as one bangs through them, one begins to empathise with Lecter (I hope this is universal, otherwise I'm going to need to see a Psychiatrist pronto!) and then when one reads Hannibal Rising, you understand how he arrives at this state from his origins. I enjoyed them this way round, anyway. But you're probably better off following Charms advice, because my middle name is 'Oftenwrong'...:)

I totally see where you are coming from Mac but I think you can empathise with him from the get go. I also like the way the films stay pretty close to the books.

But he's so charming! After you read it you'll forgive him almost anything :)

Oh how true! It has been absolute ages since I read these - (& Mac, I definately didn't read them in Charm's order & I most definately had empathy for Hanibal!) - maybe I should get them again to re-read?

I haven't read any of the books. I think I might though because the books seem to coming across really positively here :D

I agree that Hannibal Lecter is very charming. Although I would have a bit of a problem with the canniballistic side of his personality :)

I think the books can offer more flavour to Hannibal, greater nuance is felt from the written word. I especially enjoyed 'Hannibal', beacuse although it is a brutal and graphically violent book, it also enters Lecter's head.