McRecommends

Mac

See what I did there? I'm like a popular fast food outlet. Without the food. Or the speed...in fact, without the popular. :lol:

But there you go.

I'm going to keep adding to this as I go along, and if there are any that I review on the Mac Reads 2009 thread, I'll make a point of it here too, for anyone that might be interested.

Harlen Coben - Any of this guys books, really, whether you're male or female. If you want to start at the beginning, then Deal Breaker is the book for you as it introduces the main characters that continue to crop up throughout his novels (even the ones not connected with the Myron Bolitar series). I identify with the character of Myron, as he thinks in the same way as I and holds the same principles. This may well be Coben's skill, as he must make many millions of people feel the same. I highly recommend this chap.

Dean Koontz - If you've never read a novel by Koontz, then maybe try Odd Thomas or The Bad Place. Koontz' style has developed over the several gazillion books he has spewed out and I have very much enjoyed pretty much everything he has produced. He writes as though he's a nice guy, he very, very rarely swears, he loves animals and is very exciting. He has also, it has to be said, written one of the scariest books I've ever read - The Mask. Saying this, I was babysitting in a very big, creaky house on the Derbyshire moors during a violent storm at midnight when I got to a particularly creepy bit, so go figure. One of my favourite books of all time belongs to Koontz - From The Corner Of His Eye. Excellent stuff. I've put a bit on the Dean Koontz thread about that.

Haruki Murakami - Love him, love him, love him. Every one's a winner with me, so far. See my review of Norwegian Wood Mac Reads 2009 and the upcoming review of After Dark. I started out with this chap reading Kafka On The Shore and I believe this one's a good one to start with, because he caught me hook, line and sinker from the get go.

Elizabeth Kostova - The Historian. Here is a very well crafted, very creepy book using the mythology behind Vlad Dracul (The Impaler) as a subject. I devoured this novel, relishing in her fine talent for description and creating atmosphere.

Donna Tartt - The Secret History. Again, this is one of my all time favourites. I became lost in her world of academia, of the classics, of exclusivity and felt something akin to grief or mourning when I finished this book.

Anne Michaels - Fugitive Pieces. This is exquisitly written, a perfectly crafted novel worth reading by anyone who appreciates the art behind scribing a novel that sinks into ones heart. Have a go.

Daniel Mason - The Piano Tuner. Reviewed in Mac Reads 2009. Wonderful, moving, evocative and thought-provoking, this is one of the finest books I've read this year. Simply beautiful.

Michael Marshall Smith - Any of them. This fella's d

Edited by Mac
Updated, 'cos I thought of more...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Susan Cooper - The Dark is Rising (series). I read this when I was a youngster, it being perfect reading for early secondary school aged kids. I've mentioned them in a thread somewhere, stating how they still have a place in my soul and all that. I loved them. Seriously recommend them to anyone with kids.

Ursula le Guin - Earthsea (series). Another set of books I read when I was a youngster. I adored these books - I think I mentioned these on one of Michelle's threads. Again, I seriously recommend these.

Mitch Albom - The Five People You Meet In Heaven. Gentle, beautiful and thought-provoking, this is a must-read for any reader who enjoys personal introspection and asking the 'big' questions.

Jeff Lindsay - This guy writes about a serial killer who only kills really bad people. A little macabre at times, Lindsay manages to avoid putting one off his books by making his lead so very entertaining. Definitely one for those crime fiction fans out there!

Audrey Niffenegger - again... because Her Fearful Symmetry is terrific. Really terrific. Here's an author I hope we can rely upon.

Peter Robinson - his Inspector Banks novels are great. Well worth having a go at if you like your crime fiction!

:)

Edited by Mac
Extra! Extra!

Dean Koontz - He writes as though he's a nice guy,

I've only read one of his (which I loved) but that's what struck me about him too. Have a few on the shelf which I'm looking forward to geting stuck into.

Haruki Murakami - Love him, love him, love him. Every one's a winner with me, so far. See my review of Norwegian Wood Mac Reads 2009 and the upcoming review of After Dark. I started out with this chap reading Kafka On The Shore and I believe this one's a good one to start with, because he caught me hook, line and sinker from the get go.

I really must read some of his. One day.

Some great recommendations there.

*Ponders christmas list* (yes I know it's April :lol:)

Michael Marshall - which he writes under for his crime fiction. This is brilliant crime fiction, mind you. I look forward to the release of further novels by him with great anticipation. Read them in this order: The Straw Men; The Lonely Dead; Blood of Angels and The Intruders. Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

I have The Straw Men, and remember really enjoying it when I read it a few years back, must get around to getting the others of the series! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I have The Straw Men, and remember really enjoying it when I read it a few years back, must get around to getting the others of the series! :)

They are all great. I'm just reading Bad Things. It's already brilliant.

I've added more stuff, by the way.

:motz:

I will be attaining The Historian I hope in the not too distant future, courtesy of the lovely Charm. I cannot WAIT to read it, as I went through a phase about Vlad and am highly interested in any book with reference to him, as opposed to Dracula :)

Oh my God, Roxi...you will love this book. You'll devour it. There won't be a trace of it left, not even a dessicated husk...:)

I can't wait to get it.....

NOBODY DO CHARM'S BOOKRING!!! I'm sorry Charm :)

She's going to swap it with me for one of my books when her bookring is done. The sooner it's done, the sooner I get it! :motz:

Any problems, mate, let me know and I'll send it to you. I can barely wait for you to read it so I can enthuse wildly about the blessed thing...:)

Yes, yes, yes! Roxi you will love the Historian!

Dan, I hope you get to read The Secret History soon. It is one of my faves as well, and whatever you and the rest of you do, stay FAR away from Tartt's second attempt, 'The Little Friend.' *shudder*

Any problems, mate, let me know and I'll send it to you. I can barely wait for you to read it so I can enthuse wildly about the blessed thing...:)

Thanks Mac, I appreciate that, but Charm will let me keep her copy and I'm giving her a book another time in return (as she lives in Ireland too,and I can afford that postage.) I can't afford bookring postage or postage anywhere else right now!

I'm checking out the other titles on your list too, because I'm a terror for seeing books I want to check out, and then wandering off without noting them down :motz:

They are all great. I'm just reading Bad Things. It's already brilliant.

I've added more stuff, by the way.

:lol:

I think I'm going to start this as soon as I've caught up with posts on here, I'm actually dying to read it, it looks great so I'm glad to hear it reads as good as it looks! ;)

I can't wait to get it.....

NOBODY DO CHARM'S BOOKRING!!! I'm sorry Charm :motz:

She's going to swap it with me for one of my books when her bookring is done. The sooner it's done, the sooner I get it! :D

*Goes and joins Charm's book ring*....

I KID!! I wouldn't dare to really :motz:

I just updated again.

Roxi, I think that you'll love Murakami. I've not yet known anyone to dislike him.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mac, just dropped in to McRecommend a book to you sir! I'm reading Home Before Dark - Charles Maclean atm and think it's something you'd enjoy! :D

It's the news every parent dreads: Ed Lister's world changes forever the day he hears his art-student daughter has been brutally murdered in Florence. A year later, frustrated with the police inquiry, Ed vows to find Sophie's killer. His quest leads to a mysterious website – and its owner, Ward, a charming, brilliant psychopath. But as the search for Ward follows a trail of bodies across Europe to America, some of Ed's own secrets begin to emerge. And the question arises: is Ed the hunter, or the hunted?

Here's the amazon link, let me know what you think :readingtwo:

But Roxi, I think that you will also love the added Christopher Fowler. Very much, in fact. Bump it up further, lady! ;)

Nuh-uh I don't see my name below it I DON'T SEE MY NAME LALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU :D

Check again, my friend. Check again! ;)