The Dragonfly Pool by Eva Ibbotson

Janet

024-2009-Apr-15-TheDragonflyPool.jpg

The Dragonfly Pool by Eva Ibbotson

The 'blurb'

Tally Hamilton does not want to be sent off to a stuffy boarding school all because of the stupid war. But Delderton Hall is not just any school. Eccentric, crazy and inspiring, Delderton is the gateway to a wonderful adventure - led by the mysterious Matteo, who speaks five languages and longs for his mountain home. There, in the troubled kingdom of Bergania, Tally will prove herself to e braver than she knew and discover a deep and lasting friendship at the dragonfly pool

This book is aimed at the 9+ age-group. I was drawn to the pretty cover (I know, I know!) but had read about the author recently and so wanted to read something of hers, so the cover seemed as good a criterion as any!

Set during World War 2, it's a sweet story of enduring friendships, loyalty and bravery set in two countries but involving children of several nations who all pull together to save the life of a young boy.

The characters are well written, and it's a fun story. I'm sure the target audience would like it very much.

The paperback is 398 pages long and is published by Macmillan books. The ISBN number is 978-0330456357.

7/10

(Read April 2009)