Do you read prologues?

The thread on whether you read introductions reminded me of a lively argument on another forum about reading prologues. One of the forum members stated, quite emphatically, that he never read prologues. Ever.

Being as how this was a writers' forum, he got thoroughly jumped upon. Authors don't want to hear a reader has skipped an important part of their story. The guy's answer was that if it was an important part of the story, it should've been called Chapter 1, and then he'd have read it. But being called 'prologue' signified to him that it wasn't important enough to bother with. And he's a writer, to boot.

It caused quite an uproar.

So, now I'm wondering what a group of dedicated readers think about prologues. I always read them, but get a little annoyed if they go on for more than, say, four or five pages. A short prologue, a page or two, is often the only way to open some novels, whereas something labeled 'chapter 1' just wouldn't feel quite right at that particular point. And I get more than a little annoyed when aforementioned prologue is set in italics. Talk about hard to read.

Opinions, anyone?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never skip a prologue - they're part of the story, no matter how long or short! Usually they set the tone for the novel with an event, a flashback, etc etc. I love a book with a prologue because you can dip into it without having to read a whole chapter.

Even if someone didn't like them, that's no reason not to read them. That's just silly!

Usually they set the tone for the novel with an event, a flashback, etc etc.

Exactly!

And to counter that particular argument, the reluctant prologue reader from the other forum said, 'Then it should've been called chapter 1.' I suppose it's the word "prologue" that puts him off. Must remember to ask if he refuses to read epilogues as well.

In response to said reader, what difference does it make what words are written above the content? How does the designation, which refers to the content, in ANY WAY signify importance? Surely every page of a story is important as another insofar as it's all relevant?

I just don't understand his mentality. :lol:

Prologues are like the 3 minute teasers before the opening credits of a show. Does he start watching tv shows 5 minutes late in order to avoid the teasers? :D

Prologues are like the 3 minute teasers before the opening credits of a show. Does he start watching tv shows 5 minutes late in order to avoid the teasers? :lol:

Can you imagine watching a James Bond film without seeing the first 5 minutes? You'd miss some of the best action in the film!

This guy sounds a bit strange, not reading the prologue simply because it's called the 'prologue'. I completely agree, it doesn't matter at all what it's called, it's still part of the authors story and will be important to the plot. In some books, I've often found that it makes more sense of the ending if one's read the prologue.

Can't stand it when they're in italics, though, Maggie. I'm with you on that one, too! :D

Of course I read prologues. What a weird, weird question. Very odd indeed. A prologue is, by definition, part of a book. An introduction written by someone other than the author is another matter, because that is meta-information about the book. The prologue is a fundamental part of it.

Thank you, Andy. You saved me the trouble of typing that.

I enjoy reading prologues. It's a glimpse into the rest of the novel. If the prologue is badly written, though, I feel apprehensive with continuing the rest of the novel. I think a prologue can make or break a novel.

All these responses (and I agree with them 100%) reinforce your love of books and commitment to reading. This guy, the Prologue Basher, writes YA (not yet published), and claims to be a very slow reader. Nobody else on the board (all writers) agreed with him about not reading prologues. And I don't think he does this to get attention; he's too much of a black-and-white sort of fellow for that.

But ... and it's a very big BUT ... there are some agents and editors out there who feel their readers dislike prologues, and authors are often encouraged to either incorporate the prologue into the first chapter, or rename the prologue as chapter 1 and renumber subsequent chapters.

I feel this is a short-sighted attitude, but when you're trying to find an agent (you can't get published in fiction with a big publisher without an agent), you have to pay attention to their preferences. They are, sadly, today's gatekeepers when it comes to what you'll find in your bookshop. At least, that's the current situation in the U.S. publishing industry.

I would never skip a prologue - they're part of the story, no matter how long or short! Usually they set the tone for the novel with an event, a flashback, etc etc. I love a book with a prologue because you can dip into it without having to read a whole chapter.

Even if someone didn't like them, that's no reason not to read them. That's just silly!

Agree.

I really like to read the prologues and be immersed (hopefully) in the story from the very first word.

Actually, I sometimes don't bother reading the last 20 pages because all the worthwhile stuff has already happened. All the characters are already developed. I don't know why anyone bothers, I really don't.

I often read the first 30 pages of one book, then skip to another book - sometimes not even by the same author! - and read from page 31 to 60, then skip to another book and read from page 61 to 94 and so on and so on. It makes things interesting, if mildly confusing...

I often read the first 30 pages of one book, then skip to another book - sometimes not even by the same author! - and read from page 31 to 60, then skip to another book and read from page 61 to 94 and so on and so on. It makes things interesting, if mildly confusing...

:lol::lol::D

As a reader, I think prologues are vital to a certain type of book. Fantasy books requiring to introduce worlds, histories and mythologies before their authors can hope to get a word in about main characters and current events require prologues; as a reader I'd be quite annoyed if not much happened in "Chapter 1", while I'd not expect much to happen in the "Prologue" other than me being informed about the technical nuts and bolts I need to become acquainted with before I can properly engage with the novel itself.