At Michelle's Request...Fideo, or Mexican Spaghetti

Hey Maureen--

Refried beans are super easy...just get canned (tinned, I think is the term you all use) pink,black or pinto beans. Heat a saucepan, add some olive oil, then throw in some diced onion. Add a clove of minced garlic, (careful not to let the garlic brown), then dump in the beans. Smash with a potato masher. Some people like them very smooshed, like a puree, and some (ME!) like them with some of the beans left whole. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and let it simmer for a while, til it thickens.

I usually serve the fideo and beans with a salad.

Enjoy! :D

You could always say you're members of a super secret religious sect and were in the middle of making an offering to the Goddess of the Sea. :lol:

...Just a suggestion. :lol:

BTW, after talking about the fideo, I went ahead and made some for dinner last night. YUM! There isn't a scrap left.

• 4 months later...

My wife who is hispanic (Mexican) learned how to cook it from her mother and there are many recipes with various ingredients to it. http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/FidMxicnSpghtti.asp http://tinyurl.com/zjh8h ________________________________________________________________ * 2 tablespoons vegetable oil * 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves * 1 (12 ounce) package spaghetti noodles, broken in half * 5 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped * 1 large onion, chopped * 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin * 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder * salt and pepper to taste * 1 1/2 cups water * 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese ________________________________________________________________ 1. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken breasts in the oil until nicely browned on the outside. Remove from the skillet and set aside. 2. Add remaining oil to the skillet, and add the broken spaghetti. Cook, stirring constantly until spaghetti is browned. Drain off any excess oil, and add tomatoes and onion. Dice the chicken breasts, and return them to the skillet. Season with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Pour in water, cover, and simmer over medium-low heat until pasta is tender, and water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Check towards the end, and add more water if necessary. 3. Spoon the chicken mixture into bowls to serve, and garnish with shredded cheese.