Kala's Bookshelf 2009

kala_way

I've been keeping track of what I've read on my LJ, but this will be a good place to keep reviews and maybe hear other people's opinions.

I'm doing the 50 books in a year challenge this year. I don't really know how many books I read in a year. I think it's probably around 50 anyway, but I've never actively kept track and written reviews and such so I'm looking at it as an exercise in organization and journalling :smile2:

Since I've missed the first few months I guess I'll just make a separate post for what I've read each month and then work from there. So after all that set up:

January

1. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - In one word: weird. I never really thought about people with quite good lives falling in to such depression. She has opportunities and great contacts all around her for a very nice life but she just gets so wrapped up in her own head. I wouldn't say it was an enjoyable read, but well written. - 7/10

2. Middlesex by Jefferey Eugenides- It was a bit plodding in the beginning with far more detail than necessary, but very interesting and a good look at a difficult subject. It could have been better edited and better crafted in general, but I enjoyed it. - 6/10

3. Everything is Illuminated Jonathan Safron Foer - It had some great parts, but it also had some really crass and over the top parts. Overall, you could tell it was a first novel because it was a bit pretentious and almost like he bit off more than it could chew. It really was a great book in general, but I think I expected too much having loved Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close so much. - 7/10

4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - His verb choice and descriptions are so creative and sweet. Sad and terrible, but a great book. Unique in a lot of ways. I enjoyed learning a bit of German too :irked: even if it was mostly cursing- 8/10

5. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger- The ending was definitely better than the rest of the book, but not by much. He really captured the feeling of teenage angst and frustration with the world, but Holden is so irritating it makes you not want to be around him--thus to not read. Definitely not a favorite, but I guess worth the read. - 5/10

February

6. Possession by AS Byatt - The story itself was very good and it was written beautifully. It's only stepping out of the story that I'd really criticize it. It's actually pretty snobby. Byatt sets up two famous (but fictional) poets of the same fame as Tennyson and the like, and includes tons of their works--obviously her own, which she is thus putting at the level of Tennyson (and it's not!). It's also full of a sort of wild feminism and of American stereotypes. It definitely doesn't encourage me to read more of her stuff... In addition, I read on wikipedia that she's criticized adult Harry Potter readers, which definitely isn't a way to get into my good book - 7/10

7. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton - This is the same as so many. Written beautifully, interesting characterization, but the main character is not likable and the plot is somewhere between dull and non-existent! Lily is a spoiled brat who has no clue what she wants. She's witty, but stupid. Over and over again she's forced to make the decision between love and money. She wants both so she always rejects offers of only one, solidifying her misery. Her helplessness to change herself, know herself, or even explain herself is pitiful to the point of nausea. She's just the sort of heroine that I detest. - 7/10

8. The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier- I wasn't expecting much of this book, and it failed even my meager hopes. It was very confusing and basically pointless. Ella's unwillingness to speak to her husband, her criticism of him, and ensuing 'falling out of love' is so thin and lame it's a wonder divorce isn't more prevalent if the average person makes decisions like she does. That's actually a good word for the whole book--lame. - 2/10

9. The Interpretation of Murder Jed Rubenfeld - This one was actually better than I expected. It got a bit messy in the middle (probably could have been edited better) but the ending was pretty good and the solution to the mystery was...interesting. I'm a bit annoyed at how harsh he was to Carl Jung because I think he was a brilliant man with a lot of courage to break away from Freud. Also, the authors discussion of the Oedipus complex and Hamlet was interesting, but not quite as convincing as he made it out to be. For what it was though, it was an interesting book with a solid mystery (and it was cool to read it at the same time as House of Mirth which is set in the same period and location. Very cool to compare!) - 7/10

10. The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickins - I'm not gonna tear this one up. It wasn't very entertaining, but it was all right. I finally finished it after reading the first half about a year or so ago. Almost everybody ends miserably per usually. Dickens just doesn't do anything for me, never has done - 5/10

March

11. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson Mccullers - I really liked the way this story was woven together. It took me a long time to finish because it was rather slow, but the concepts were great and the story wasn't bad. It felt very true to life, not the depths of despair where everyone dies like Dickens, but not a beautiful happy ending either. Such an interesting view of passion--how the things you feel strongly about can burn you inside and out and how they can lead to your greatest triumphs and your greatest despairs. It's the type of book I'd like to read again sometime years from now and see what else I see in it.- 8/10

12. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult- A pretty simple book really. The characters were quite thin and one dimensional. All of the 'surprises' weren't surprising at all. The topic was very interesting, but I felt like she copped out in the end by not really tackling the issue. The rebellious teenage son was the most irritating though! A hot, smart, 18 year old rebel doesn't call a 40 year old woman bodacious, have no visible friends aside from a homeless man, love to truck his sister around at any time of day or night, and fall sobbing into his father's arms when confronted! :smile2: - 4/10

13. Brick Lane by Monica Ali - Well, I put it down saying 'Thank God that's over!' :irked: It could have easily been 200 pages shorter. I kept trying to think of a word to describe it and the best I can come up with is hesitant, very hesitant. Which I suppose is in keeping with the main character, but the whole time I felt like it could have been brighter, it could have been louder, it should have been more saturated and sharp. The ending was nice though. I'm glad to see that she had some guts and acted!- 5/10

14. Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh- This book was so lovely! So subtle and funny and dry and well woven. I loved every character--major and minor, irritating and awesome! It masterfully says without saying. So much and so little. I just adore it! Yet it ends so sadly, but you know it will from the beginning. Am I being too subtle here? :) Definitely making my top favorites of all time and I'm going to look for others from her! - 10/10

15. The Princess Bride by William Goldman - A good read, but there's not really much more to it than is in the movie. The bit right at the beginning, Inigo and Fezzik's backstories, and the cute parentheses with witty stuff is all fun. It also goes very fast since it's so familiar and has the feel of an abridgment. Worth the read, especially if you liked the movie! - 7/10

April

16. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo - I've been meaning to read this for years and finally got to it. I admit I read an abridged version, and am glad I did as even the abridgment had some long digressions. Overall I enjoyed it, it really is a great book, but Hugo's style just isn't my cup of tea and I found myself feeling that same discomfort of culture when things just didn't make sense to my 21st century mind--like why such a good man would feel so much shame at having, 40 years ago, been in prison (and wrongfully). I actually liked Marius more and Cosette even less than I did previously after being a fan of the musical for years. - 7/10

17. Life of Pi by Yann Martel - I did not think I would like this book. But I really loved it! The descriptions were amazing and interesting, the story fantastical if at times brutal, the ending thought provoking. His religion is odd and illogical, but his character is great. All his little facts about zoos and animals made me want to visit the zoo. - 9/10

18. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - This book was what I wanted Catcher in the Rye to be. I loved it's rawness and the straightforward unfolding of the story. I guess it's completely cliche but he reminded me of myself in high school in some ways. I liked the format as well, and I found the ending very satisfying.- 9/10

I loved the book, but I think your comments about the rebellious teenager are hilarious, kala! It's so true! :D

:welcomebcf: I grew up with one of those rebellious teenagers so it just read as a bit ridiculous to me. If she had made him a kinda dorky social outcast I could have bought all the other stuff *shrug*

Yes, I loved My Sister's Keeper too. But I agree about the end, it was a cop out
I did like what she did with Anna's catch 22 type of decision and I was really interested to see how she'd resolve it. I think if she had found an honest way to do that then things like the weird guardian/lawyer relationship and evil (step)mother bits I could have overlooked.

I've been putting off Les Miserables for years! Might be the size of the book that scares me :P
Well I'm all in favour of good abridgments for books like this. To me it's just like the author having a better editor who knows their audience. It's not like the unabridged copy are his unedited words anyway. I have a copy of the full book and it's over 1400 pages!! the abridgment was about 400 ;)

19. Empress Orchid by Anchee Min

Synopsis (from Amazon)

A poor girl from rural China auditions for a job as royal concubine, winds up as emperor's wife number four, gives birth to the "last Emperor," rules China as regent for 46 years. The fascinating, implausible life of Tsu Hsi, or "Orchid," was reviled by the revolutionary Chinese, but here it receives a sympathetic treatment from Min (Red Azalea; Becoming Madame Mao). Sexually assertive, intellectually ambitious, socially striving, Min's Orchid is also "isolated, tense, and in some vague but very real way, dissatisfied." Even after giving birth to the emperor's only son, Orchid feels trapped by the stultifying imperial rituals and persecuted by the other residents of the Forbidden City: six other royal wives, 3,000 invisible concubines and 2,000 scheming eunuchs. In addition to these powerful distractions, she has to discipline her overindulged son, outmaneuver the ruthless politician Su Shun (who wants her buried alive when the emperor dies) and advise the ailing emperor how to fend off both the Boxers and the Western "barbarians."

Review

I knew next to nothing about this period in history previously and it was definitely enlightening. I appreciated how strong a woman Orchid was, that even though she was constrained by so many rules and rituals and prejudices that she was able to take action and kick against the goads so to speak. Nuharoo was excessively banal, and it's hard to believe their society succeeded for so many generations with the counterproductive way they brought up Emperors. It makes me want to look into the actions of the English at that time. It seems terribly unfair but the opinions were from the mouth of accused.

The writing itself was nothing special, to the point and fact filled, a bit bland at times if you take out the flowery names given to every room and hall :welcomebcf:. Unusually, the first half was far better than the second--mainly because the story was more interesting. Less gossipy court intrigue and more rise of the underdog. If you're already interested in China or royalty or that period of time I'd definitely recommend it. If not, then it's quite a slog.

6/10

Next I'm picking up Lolita

Edited by kala_way

I read Empress Orchird a few years ago, but I actually prefered the second half, can't really remember it that well though, only that I didn't like it enough to want to read it again

:) I think I've read maybe 15 books my whole life that I'd like to read again. I'm really not a multiple reads person.

I'm well into Lolita at the moment. It's making me feel dirty. It's written very well though, but...eugh...he's freaky. Like 'Silence of the Lambs'.

I'm absolutely adoring The Charioteer though. I've underlined several things :o Renault might not be Austen but she definitely has a way with words and an observant style. Very smooth.

The Inheritance is rather dull, though for a 17 year old it's pretty awesome! I'm embarrassed by how much I liked such a sappy movie, but it's fun to see the differences between it and the book.

At the recommendation of several people I tried one of the Song of Ice and Fire books again....:irked: just not good. I really don't like books with "fantasy name generator" names! I actually wrote down a few of the lines that made me laugh out loud because they were lame, but I can't find the paper now. That'll probably be my last try for that series.

Edited by kala_way

;) I've been meaning to read those ones (possibly on some of the same recommendations).

I tend to often re-read, it's a bad habit really I could read so many good new books in that time!

:) probably!

I like the idea of re-reading but whenever I try to do it I'm reading and then start thinking "Oh this part was boring" *flip**flip**flip* "Where did they do such & such" *flip**flip**flip* :) So it just ends up being me re-reading the handful of scenes that I really liked and skipping the rest--which isn't really re-reading :(

Oh and I found the paper with the irritating bits from SoIaF =

"island of light in a sea of mist" *gag*

A character named Urine?

"It takes a man to make a woman" ??

They all punched him to welcome him.

"wield your cudgel proudly" ...

The only character I remotely liked was Leo, at least he was different!

And I only read the first chapter.

;) Urine, really?!

I sometimes skip my least favourite bits, I barely ever read the first few chapters of philosopher's stone, I start in the hut on the rock, or maybe when the letters really start coming

;) Urine, really?!

I sometimes skip my least favourite bits, I barely ever read the first few chapters of philosopher's stone, I start in the hut on the rock, or maybe when the letters really start coming

Well that's just what it sounded like on the audio book. :)

HP's actually one of the few I have read more than once-especially the later books. I skip a bit, but it's such a fun read :)

Yeah I could have guessed you'd read HP more than once! I've even lost count of how many times I've read them, except DH.

I tend to keep books intending to read them again, but I don't always re-read them

• 2 weeks later...

I came to the end of several all at once:

20. The City of Ember - The writing style was more childish than I usually read. It was definitely meant for maybe 8-10 not young adult, but it was good story. I don't know that I buy that there would be so little crime in such a place but whatever.

I must have not really been paying attention because I didn't 'get' the point until almost the very end. I think a little more could have been done with the story because the bones were very good yet it ended rather abruptly, but then it wouldn't have been a children's book I guess if it went into a great amount of detail about heavier things. - 6/10

21. Lolita - Well written and interesting. I found the way his opinions were so clearly reflected in his descriptions to be very unique. I've never read an author who did this more effectively. Thinking back on all he said about her, she seems like a twiggy little brat without any natural grace of character, yet his love for her is all consuming. It was perfectly voiced, but he was almost too logical for his lack of logic if that makes sense. But I guess smart people do stupid things all the time, and hindsight is more sensible. The shape of his guilt is rather sickening though. - 7/10

22. The Charioteer - This book was just too lovely. I cried at the end. I underlined all kinds of stuff. It was just one of those books where I was always saying, "Yes, it's exactly like that!" The only thing I could have wished was that it was a tad more descriptive, and maybe less timid in places. But it was just so completely lovely :motz:

The love triangle was well setup and really exemplified Laurie's main weaknesses. It's a side of the war you don't really think about, and a side of that generation that you never hear about. Overall I was very impressed with it, and plan to pick up more of Renault's books.- 9/10

23. The Inheritance - Well, I read this book because I've seen the movie and I thought it was a cute sappy romantic movie and that the book was probably better and more detailed and exciting. It wasn't. The movie I think was actually better than the book in some ways. The book was like a sugar overload. She was only 17 when she wrote it though so I can understand it to a degree, but whew, it really needed some balance. It was almost like it was written as a penance to be given to a priest in order to show how the 'righteous will overcome' :) It was blessedly short at least. - 5/10