The Dream Merchant by Isabel Hoving

Fionen

Format: Hardcover 640 pages

Date of publication: October 11th 2005

Publisher: Candlewick

ISBN: 0763628808

The Dream Merchant by Isabel Hoving is about a twelve year old boy named Joshua Cope who is recruited by Gippart International as a salesman (or rather salesboy). Gippart specializes in selling merchandise to people in the dream world, also referred to as umaya. They don't usually enlist twelve year olds but they feel that Josh has a special gift and they need him for an urgent umaya mission; to find the legendary people known as the Tembe.

This book has two modes: I can't-wait-to-read-what-happens-next and I will-die-if-I-have-to-read-one-more-sentence. It goes back and forth every couple of chapters during the first half of the book. Then all of a sudden the writing gains consistency and the book shines. Chapter sixteen is by far my favorite part and the fact that Hoving was capable of writing it shows a lot of potential. Unfortunately, it relapses just in time to detract from the ending.

As a whole the book isn't very good but it has a lot of charming aspects. Racial diversity is included throughout the entire book. I feel that Hoving put a lot of thought into developing each character and their cultural ties. I also found it to be unpredictable. Just when I thought I knew where the story was headed it went in another direction. It was a nice change. Then there is Zizi, a little green love-bird, who belongs to Josh and joins him on his quest. At first I thought the idea was a bit dumb but I grew to love Zizi and her adorableness.

Ultimately, I have to give The Dream Merchant only 3 out of 5 stars. There are a few really wonderful parts that I will remember for a long time, if not indefinitely, but I'm never going to read it again. It was such a pain to get past the dull parts. Although, if Isabel Hoving were to write another fantasy book, I would read it. She has the ability to write an amazing piece of fantasy literature and hopefully she will someday.

Thanks for the review, Fionen. This has been languishing on my TBR pile for at least a couple of years now - I started it but just couldn't get into it. It might get another try sometime!

I also had a hard time getting into it and I struggled to keep going during the dull parts. There were so many times that I wanted to ditch it for something else. It's the first book I've read in a while so I was determined to finish. Otherwise I would have thrown it out the window. :blush: I am glad I read it but it's not on my list of books to recommend.

• 1 month later...

I loved this book, I found it incredible atmospheric and truly scary in places. I couldn't put it down as I was waiting to see what happens next and I loved the racial diversity in the story. I read it once years ago and will probably start again later this year.

I would give it five out of five.