PopCo By Scarlett Thomas

Nellie

I bought this book on a whim a few weeks ago, and I am so glad I did!

From Watersones Website:

Alice Butler has been receiving some odd messages - all anonymous, all written in code. Are they from someone at PopCo, the profit-hungry corporation she works for? Or from Alice's long lost father? Or has someone else been on her trail? The solution, she is sure, will involve the code-breaking skills she learned from her grandparents and the key she's been wearing round her neck since she was ten. "PopCo" is a grown-up adventure of family secrets, puzzles, big business and the power of numbers.

It was the code breaking element that attracted me to the book, and I wasn't disappointed. The narrative explains some concepts of cryptography in a very accessible way.

There are also some wonderful flash back passages as Alice recalls her childhood with her grandparents in the 1980s, and the scenes at school are hysterical. Anyone who was at school then will identify immediately with her worries and pressures from her peer group.

The story has a couple of main threads running through it, which are nicely resolved at the end. Its an easy read, which moves along at a good pace, and the code breaking information keeps it from being a more run of the mill story about a girl who finds her role in life.

8/10

I saw this book at a bookstore the other day. I haven't decided if I'd like to give the author another chance, though. I was very disappointed in her other novel, The End of Mr. Y. Will think about trying out PopCo, though... :irked:

Code breaking skills learned from her grandparents? Da Vinci Code much? :irked:

Still, I like the idea. Might check it out.

It's a long way from the Da Vinci code. For a start it's well written and has a decent plot!

The code breaking is slightly incidental to the story. As I said, there is one plot line about some code breaking her grandfather did and how she deals with the clues he left her, and also another about...

The dullness of life in corporations and anti-corproate feeling

It's the latter which really interested me.

• 4 months later...
I saw this book at a bookstore the other day. I haven't decided if I'd like to give the author another chance, though. I was very disappointed in her other novel, The End of Mr. Y. Will think about trying out PopCo, though... :D

Snap .. I loved the beginning of 'the End of Mr Y' but was so disappointed by the final third of the book but still I bought 'Popco' (must be those gorgeous covers!) and it's sat on my bookshelf ever since.

I must get around to giving it a go.

• 10 months later...

Finally got a hold of this book and am getting through it quite steadily.... only downside is the narrator tends to go off on tangents a lot and she hasn't made me care about her or her company enough yet to be doing that.

Also, in an attempt to use videogaming terms, she just referred to her 'life-meter'. I'm pretty certain there are no self-respecting games out that that refer to their health/power meters (or HP - hit points - as everyone calls it) as 'life-meters'. Little details like that annoy me - if you try to incorporate something, do it right.

Yeah I can't put it down either. I think Peacefield is reading it too. It's definitely getting better, but I don't like Ester. I like Dan and Alice.

I also love the code-cracking aspect of it though, and I love that Thomas clearly researches what she writes about and is generally an intelligent person (that was also obvious in The End Of Mr. Y.)

Glad you are enjoyng it I did prefer it to The End of Mr Y I have been tempted to buy her new one mainly because I like the cover design and of course because the story sounds intruiging :D

I won't prefer this to Mr. Y simply because I adored the subject matter and various theories of physics in it, but if I like it anywhere near as much it'll be doing better than most!