How do you write your reviews?

Chimera

So, many if not most of us on here regularly write reviews for the books we read... I was wondering how you write yours. Do you set in front of the blank page and just write what comes to mind? Or do you have a plan/ set of questions you try to always stick to? Or notes you take while reading and just order into a review? How long does it take you?

I always tend to spend ages in front of the page wondering which way to go, what to say and not say... I just write what comes to mind and try to pursue ideas a bit... And just stop when I'm fed up with it really :lol: I dont think it makes very consistent reviews but I dont want to restrain myself with a set plan...

How do you do yours?

This is a brilliant topic, I can't believe it hasn't be done before!

When I started reviewing for my own blog, I used to write down random thoughts as soon as I'd closed the book for the day. Now I make mental notes which lead to an overall impression. I write down the basic mental notes, and then fluff them out to a desired length.

In my personal bookblog, I write the snyopsis, take from the cover or amazon, then a short ramble, which is an overview of my overall impression, and then a long ramble, which is an in-depth account of my specific opinions, so you can see how both the overall impression and specific notes both come into play.

For the reviews I do for Michelle, I don't like to be as ranty, I try to be more formal and generally focus on the positives. I usually write my personal review first, so I have all the info laid out, and then summarise it into a mid-length 2-3 paragraphs which I use for BCF's review blog.

I don't have any questions I always ask myself, I don't try to review books too formally or all with the same measuring stick, I just try to talk about exactly what jumped out most at me, or what I think the book has going for it, even if I don't like it. I was even very complementary about Twilight's base concepts and readability! Of course, if it's something like The Shack, which really cannot be saved, then I try to be somewhat constructive about it's attempt.

Well I think there is a thread with a specific review writing guide somewhere but I dont remember ever seeing real discussion on everyone's methods... Apologies if I missed one!

That sounds like a lot of work Roxi. But I like your short and long ramble way of doing it. that way if you are in a hurry/ dont want to know too much about the book you get a condensed version and if you want to know more it's there as well. Ho long do you tend to spend on a review, do you have an idea?

I don't write a review about all the books I read, only if I feel I have something to say about the book, either good or bad. I don't have a set plan, but I start off with a short synopsis (without giving away any spoilers) and maybe a bit of explanation about the style or genre of the book. Then I write about the most important element(s) of the book that made me want to write the review in the first place, whether that's the plot, the characters, the style, the writing, etc. I try to explain and give examples of why I liked/disliked the particular element(s), and if appropriate, suggest authors or books that if you've read and enjoyed might mean you'd like the book I'm reviewing.

Note for anybody who cares:

Chesilbeach and Chimera both write brilliant reviews about usually brilliant books. They're my favourite blogs to read - if they like something, you should probably read it.

I tend to jot down general notes whilst I'm reading the book and then bring it all together at the end. I like to comment on the writing style and whether it appealed, what I liked/disliked and a general summary at the end, whether I would recommend it or not. I've started reviewing for every book I read as there's always something to say. Usually takes me about an hour to write a review. :lol:

there, favour returned, phew! *laughs*

Lmao don't say it if it's not true, honestly! My blog is just mindless rambling, but I really like yours, and I've told Chesilbeach before that I think her blog is brilliant. I always come away from both blogs adding to my Wishlist! :lol:

Bookbee actually does great reviews too, but doesn't have a BLOG!! Tut tut!

Anyway, this isn't a blog promotion thread, REVIEWS, people! :D

It's interesting that Chesilbeach doesn't review everything. I always review everything eventually, mostly because years down the line I don't want to forget what I thought. At times, I really don't want to do it, but it does also force me to really consider my thoughts on the book, which I like too.

What about everybody else?

Ok then, since you insist... Dont go and read Roxi's blog people, I'm sure you have better things to do! :lol: Honestly, I would say I like it if I didn't!

Maybe I should rename this thread "the patting on the back corner"? :D

Right, interesting question! I try to review everything. I do review everything which fits my blog's theme (across cultures) and try to review the rest on here as well but sometimes just put it off until it sounds too far away. (which I've done with The Rights of the Reader for example. A shame as I'm sure that book would interest many people on here.)

Like you I want to keep a trace of what I thought. there are too many books I've read over the years and cant remember anything about!

mmm I dont tend to think so much about the style, more the theme/ story/ content. Maybe I should pay more attention to that aspect...

I actually pay immediate attention to the story structure, I shouldn't as it's usually irrelvant (unless it's unusually written, like James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces".) But if I felt it affected my reading of the story, I'll draw attention to

* Whether it's first or third person

* Dialogue-narrative ratio

* How long the chapters are

* Sentence length, and use of descriptive writing

* etc :lol:

Thanks for the compliments again!

Back to the reviewing though, and the reason I don't review every book is that I just don't have the time! It's also that I find that if a book was okay, but not very bad or very good, that my reviews tend to be a bit bland in that it usually means nothing particularly stands out about the plot or the characters, and I don't have anything the criticise or praise, and it feels a bit of a waste of time (which is better spent on reading the next book which might be great!).

Basically, I need a book to have provoked a reaction that requires me to put my fingers on the keyboard and have my say.

I actually have a slightly different problem. I virtually always have something to say about a book, except when a book is totally out of my league! For instance, Perfume by Patrick Suskind. Brilliant book, but SO unusual that I wouldn't know where to begin with reviewing it (other than to say that calling it a book about a serial killer is totally WRONG.)

So I'm behind in reviews on about 4 books, but I'll probably just read through other peoples reviews to offer ideas, and construct something based on that.

Basically, I need a book to have provoked a reaction that requires me to put my fingers on the keyboard and have my say.

mmm yes of course. I think there's always something to say... If you've found it bland then you probably wouldn't recomend it. So you could explain why, what was missing, what still appealed to you... etc.

I have a similar problem with books which have already been discussed milions of time. For example I had no idea what to say about A Thousand Splendid Suns which hadn't already been said. And I cant imagine how I would review a book such as Harry Potter...

So I'm behind in reviews on about 4 books, but I'll probably just read through other peoples reviews to offer ideas, and construct something based on that.

I actually avoid reading other people's reviews before writing mine... I'm too afraid of 'stealing' their ideas or being influenced by them.

I'm not sure really.. I guess I just start of with initial thoughts.. then throw together a brief story plot, a bit about the writing style, characters, etc. I don't know really, I just type something that sounds reasonable. At least I'm not pretending to be good at reviewing, lol.

I try to review everything. I do review everything which fits my blog's theme (across cultures) and try to review the rest on here as well but sometimes just put it off until it sounds too far away. (which I've done with The Rights of the Reader for example. A shame as I'm sure that book would interest many people on here.)

As I mentioned, I don't write a review of everything I read. If I feel strongly about a book, I write a review on my blog, then if there isn't already a review on here, I'll write another one for here as well (it will probably be a slightly abridged version of my own review, and usually a slightly more informal style). If there is already a review on the forum, I'll add my own thoughts, agreeing/disagreeing with points others have made, and adding comments about elements that haven't already been mentioned.

Like you I want to keep a trace of what I thought. there are too many books I've read over the years and cant remember anything about!

I don't know if I'm a freak, but I can pretty much remember what I felt about every book I've ever read, and just by having a quick glance at the title or cover usually reminds me what I thought about it. There are only a few books that when people have mentioned them, I know I've read but can't remember much about them, so if I go back and have a quick skim read through a few pages, or look at the blurb on the back, it usually jogs my memory. The chances are if I forget what I felt about a book and go to look for it, if it isn't on my bookshelf anymore, I've given it to the charity shop soon after reading it, because I didn't have any strong feelings about it, and knew I would never read it again.

I do love a good list though, so I've kept a full list of every book I've read for the last few years, including date started and finished, and if I read it for a book group or special event.

In fact, only earlier today, I was looking back at the reading lists on my blog, where I started keeping a list of the books I read starting in about February 2006, and I can't believe how long ago it was that I read them, as I can recall them all as if it was just a few months ago. And, looking up at my book shelves now, I can see books I read at least 15 years ago, and again, I know which ones were particularly good or bad, and why, so perhaps that's why I don't feel the need to review everything.

I tend to jot down general notes whilst I'm reading the book and then bring it all together at the end.

I rarely write any notes while I'm reading a book, and start with a blank screen to write my reviews. But, I do tend to wait at least a day, if not two or three before writing a review, just to allow myself time to consider my feelings on the book. If I'm writing a review on my blog, I might also write the review but only in draft format, until I've decided if there's anything else I might want to add before publishing.

At least I'm not pretending to be good at reviewing, lol.

Sorry, I don't really understand that. Or why some people are scared to write reviews in case they don't meet a particular standard. I figured the whole point of a review was that it reflected your own personal opinion on the book. Yeah, some can be written better, the same as anything. But it's a review; it's stating your opinion. How can it be criticized for being 'good' or 'bad'? Sorry, it's a sore subject with me. It's just something that people tend to get quite snobby over. I don't see what the fuss is about!

:lol:

Chesil, if I didn't write the notes as they come to me, I'd forget. :D I've got a terrible memory. I'd probably remember days later and wish I'd put it in.

Yeah, some can be written better, the same as anything. But it's a review; it's stating your opinion. How can it be criticized for being 'good' or 'bad'? Sorry, it's a sore subject with me. It's just something that people tend to get quite snobby over. I don't see what the fuss is about!

Well, if they aren't written well, they're not going to be pleasant to read. Personally, I set no standard, even if my own blog is ****, I don't care, those who want to read it will. I have no problem with anybody writing anyway they want - but I'm only going to read what I find to be well written comprehensive reviews. As is ANYBODY. Not that it should be an issue for you, as I've told you repeatedly you should have a proper dedicated bookblog coz you well capable of constructing a decent English sentence. I'm not snobby about it, but some people do write better material than others.

Notably, I don't think I've ever read a bad review by anybody on this site. I lean more towards the blogs I mentioned, because I know for instance Chimera's will always have something cultural, and if I'm in the mood for culture she's got good taste in books. Chesil recently read a book featuring Oscar Wilde, need I say more? Ben's doing very well reviewing for the BCF, considering he's both newer to it, and younger than most readers - it's interesting because I like getting a younger perspective too (I loved reading his thoughts on Inkheart) and as for you Bookbee, we agree on a lot when it comes to books so I like to see your thoughts too.

Ceinwenn does good reviews too, she's often quite opinionated, like myself.

RANT.

Lol.

I just meant at least I don't pretend that my style of writing for reviews has any set structure, nor in my opinion does it constitute as 'good', if that makes sense? My comment probably should've been clearer; my excuse being it's late, and I probably didn't think about what I typed, before I typed it. Also, it wasn't directed at anyone on here, apologies if anyone took it like that.

ETA. - Thank you Roxi. Anyway, away to bed for me, after I've got some more album artwork for my iTunes library..

Hmmm...suddenly I feel I should be putting more planning into my reviews! I basically finish a book, pick up my laptop, and write my review. It usually only takes me about 10 minutes or so, and I just basically write what I thought of the book. I always try to include some general thoughts on the book as a whole, then I go into more detail about specific things I liked or disliked.

Hmmm...suddenly I feel I should be putting more planning into my reviews! I basically finish a book, pick up my laptop, and write my review. It usually only takes me about 10 minutes or so, and I just basically write what I thought of the book. I always try to include some general thoughts on the book as a whole, then I go into more detail about specific things I liked or disliked.

No! Stop! Don't change a thing!

I know you're only joking but this is for everyone ... do whatever suits you best. If it works for you, you'll continue to do it, but if you change and start to feel self conscious about your writing and reviews, you'll eventually get too hung up on what you think is the quality of your work and give up writing them all together.

Each type of review has its own merits, and this thread is really a chance to see what other people do. RoxiS.C. writes fantastic in depth reviews as well as condensed versions which allows each type of reader to get something from her reviews and find out whether they will like the book, whereas I tend to write shorter reviews but just explain my feelings on the elements that have stood out in a book for me, or why I think the author has moved on from their earlier works. Some people give a rating out of five or out of ten, and others don't give a rating at all.

Everyone's reviews are different and that's why they are interesting to read, not because we all write the same style of reviews. If you write notes as you read the book and these develop into your review at the end, then that's fine. If you're like me, you just read the book and then after you finish you reflect your thoughts in your review without planning, that's fine too. The important thing is just to let the reader know how you felt about the book.

So, by all means look at this thread to see what others do, and if you've never written a review before, maybe get some ideas from other reviewers comments, but however you write, if it suits you, stick with it!

I know you're only joking but this is for everyone ... do whatever suits you best. If it works for you, you'll continue to do it, but if you change and start to feel self conscious about your writing and reviews, you'll eventually get too hung up on what you think is the quality of your work and give up writing them all together.

Very true! And I think its great that you can write your reviews in 10 mns Echo: it shows that you know what to write and are self confident enough to write it without pausing. Keep going! :lol:

And of course the aim of this thread isn't to promote a uniform type of reviews... How sad would that be? *laughs*

RoxiS.C. writes fantastic in depth reviews as well as condensed versions which allows each type of reader to get something from her reviews and find out whether they will like the book

Awwwh thankies :lol:

Everyone's reviews are different and that's why they are interesting to read, not because we all write the same style of reviews.

The important thing is just to let the reader know how you felt about the book.

Yup, agreed entirely! It'd be boring if everybody did the same thing, and no matter how great the variety there is, there will always be enough people to appreciate every kind!

• 4 weeks later...
I actually pay immediate attention to the story structure, I shouldn't as it's usually irrelvant (unless it's unusually written, like James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces".) But if I felt it affected my reading of the story, I'll draw attention to

* Whether it's first or third person

* Dialogue-narrative ratio

* How long the chapters are

* Sentence length, and use of descriptive writing

* etc :lol:

Roxi, you're an author's dream reviewer because you really care about POV, tense, sentence structure ... the nuts and bolts that most authors put a lot of work into but that readers don't usually notice unless they're messed up.

The way you describe how you approach and structure your reviews is a real eye-opener. I wonder if people who don't write reviews understand how much thought and work goes into them, at least, into the sorts of reviews that you write.

I write fiction, but have not, until now, seriously pondered the amount of effort that goes into a well-thought-out review. You've certainly opened my eyes.

ps: I'm seriously in awe of people who're able to describe clearly and succinctly, what they like/don't like about a book. It's one thing to say you didn't like something; quite another to explain why.