Oscar Wilde's Wit and Wisdom: A Book of Quotations

The Real Trial of Oscar Wilde by Merlin Holland

Goethe. Selected Poems, Edited by Christopher Middleton

The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde by Neil McKenna

Bosie: The Man, The Poet, The Lover of Oscar Wilde by Douglas Murray

Salom

Edited by Wilde Lily

There seems to be a theme to some of these! :smile2:

Are you finding that by remaining in an Oscar Wilde 'zone' you are getting all the juice you can from his life and works?

I quite often reach out beyond one book by an author to get more, and here you have gone above and beyond.

I have dabbled in in some of Oscar Wilde, but many years ago - he most certainly is a fascinating man. :tong:

There seems to be a theme to some of these! :smile2:

Are you finding that by remaining in an Oscar Wilde 'zone' you are getting all the juice you can from his life and works?

I quite often reach out beyond one book by an author to get more, and here you have gone above and beyond.

I have dabbled in in some of Oscar Wilde, but many years ago - he most certainly is a fascinating man. :tong:

My obsession with Oscar Wilde happened gradually. First I read The Picture of Dorian Gray and it instantly became one of myfavorite books. Over the next year or so I started reading quotes of his and found him to be extremely clever and witty and I fell in love with him (even though he was gay :tong:). So began my realtionship with Oscar Wilde. I wanted to know all about this fascinating man and read everything he'd written. Wilde uses words like a painter uses his brush.

Even my screen name here is influenced by Oscar Wilde. "Wilde" is obvious; "Lily" was Oscar's favorite fllower.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. Here's my review:

The Virgin Suicides is a beautiful book - poignant, depressing, gut-wrenching, beautiful. Jeffrey Eugenides, by using the unusual first person plural for narration, makes us feel as though we are one of the narrators who watched the Lisbon girls, who tried to understand them but never could, who mourned their suicides into adulthood, still wishing there could have been a connection between us and the Lisbon girls, that somehow we may have been able to stop the girls from killing themselves.

For anyone looking for a moral to this story, for a lesson learned by the suicides of the Lisbon sisters, there is none. The Virgin Suicides is not a morality tale. It's about a tragic, bittersweet period in several teenagers lives. Why did the Lisbon sisters commit suicide? Was it their stifling mother and her religious fanaticism? Was it the times, the mid '70s suburbia fa

Edited by Wilde Lily