Do you read the 'introduction'?

Janet

Do you read the introduction section in a book?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read the introduction section in a book?

• Yes, always
    • No, never
    • Sometimes

I don't tend to read the intro - I prefer to launch into the main book as I like to form my own opinion and thoughts about the novel. Reading it in depth reminds me of my exam days.............

I absolutely agree. The first thing one has to consider is the book (be it a novel, fiction, non fiction or else), then, ince you've read everything you'll proobably start enquiring infos about the author or the book itself; looking them up in the intro or on the internet or elsewhere. It's too schoolish not to say wrrong, to start from the other side. The pleasure of reading comes first.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing that 'sometimes' will be the most popular answer, but there may be people who always do - or make a point of never reading it!

I answered 'sometimes'. It largely depends on how long it is. Usually I skip it because I can't wait to get stuck into the book, but when I was doing A level English, I found the introductions could prove invaluable background reading!

The same applies to me. I do sometimes read the introduction, but not always. Occasionally I have read the introduction and it has given spoilers about the plot, which does annoy me.

I normally read it, if it's abnormally long I'll skip it and read it at the end once I've finished the book which may be a little pointless but then gives me a rounded view of the book lol I can be a little impatient and want to get into the story but if its short and succinet I'll read it.

Depends. I usually read the book first; then, if I consider the book's theme/background/author worthy of my further attention (i.e. if the book wasn't a waste of my time, or completely self-explanatory), I will read the introduction.

Giulia

I started reading the introduction of 'The Glass Bead Game' by Hermann Hesse and gave up half way through because I just felt like it was rambling, so I moved and started reading the actual book :friends0:

As INTRODUCTION, never. It's not a stated rule for me, but I prefer generally to read it after I've read the book in question. I want to read the book possibily before anyone told me how he think it is or how I am supposed to read it in order to understand.

I entirely agree. I never read the things until after I've read the book. They ought to make them outroductions.:friends0:

non, I just hate even the thought of that. I want to open and begin like the dawning of a new day, knowing nothing of how things will go.

That's true to me too. Everything else starts after you've read the book: the curiosity to find out more, the willingness to know better the author or the story itself, etc.

I always read the introduction. To me it's like sitting down to watch a big football match or boxing fight on tv. I like the build up, I like to listen to the experts opinions at the start.

The introduction is part of the book. If it's a good book then like a fine meal you should savour every mouthfull, taste every herb and spice, not rush through it.

• 4 months later...

I sometimes read introductions after finishing the book ('cause I'm backwards like) if I can be bothered, but am wary of reading them beforehand now...

My particular spoiler experience was Rebecca, by Daphne Du Maurier. After the first "Oh, think I would have preferred to have read that for myself", I carried on reading, thinking that that would be an exceptional slip of information... Oh no! Spoiler after spoiler was revealed so that eventually I was simply ploughing on just to see how far it would go. By the end of the introduction I literally knew THE ENTIRE PLOT, ending and all! I was fuming.

Fortunately, it wasn't a book that I'd been especially looking forward to reading but rather had been given it for Christmas, so simply shelved it for about three years, and then read it when I had managed to forget the plot all over again. So it was a happy ending after all... Or was it?!?! :)

I always read an introduction to a book. It normally provides valuable information that will help with the story. I even read all the covers on my books and all the "Praise Phrases" that normally take up the first couple of pages. I guess you can say when I read a book, I read every word :)

• 2 years later...

I always read an introduction to a book. It normally provides valuable information that will help with the story. I even read all the covers on my books and all the "Praise Phrases" that normally take up the first couple of pages. I guess you can say when I read a book, I read every word laugh.gif

I'm excatly the same. I read the book from the first page (normally praise or about the author(s)), the page about copyright/when first published etc to the last page advertising other books.

I enjoy introductions. I find them highly useful, and a few times, they've been more interesting than the actual book :P

I think one needs to set things into context, especially if it is history or biography. The background is important for the book to make sense and this is often set out in a (sometimes very long) introduction