Psion, Catspaw and Dreamfall by Joan D. Vinge

phya

It was with these books that I started my trip to this genre and am now a fan and they are still amongst my favourites. Maybe it's because it's first love? Maybe it's because they're just really good.

In these books we see this character, Cat, half-human, half-Psion. He is a thief, a drug addict, a nobody, that lives in the slumber of a complex society and who just struggles to survive. He doesn't know anything about his heritage, but his catlike eyes mark him as a half-breed. Troughout the standalone books we see him learn, fight, be used and abused, make bad and good decisions and we see in grow. And through his eyes we witness a violent and complex society, where profit is the main gold.

Cat is a wonderfull human being, that keeps struggling to find his place in the world.

This is a synopse of Psion (I don't want to put spoilers for the other two)

"Cat, a street-hardened survivor, a half-human, half-alien orphan telepath, is arrested and given a choice: he can submit to training to develop his latent psychic abilities, or he can be shipped offworld as an indentured laborer. Although he doesn't really believe he could be anything special, Cat chooses to take part in the training, and is swiftly drawn into a world of interplanetary intrigue. Vinge once again shows she can write sweeping science fiction and give it a human element. This tough, gritty tale of an outsider whose only chance for redemption is as an undercover agent for an interstellar government that by turns punishes and helps him, is as fresh and powerful today as it was in 1982" http://www.powells.com/biblio/2-9780765303400-0