Need recommendations!

Cheesy feet

I loved both of Conn Igguldens series, but having finished them I have no real clue what to read next.Well, apart from The dangerous book for boys, blackwater and wolf island, but I would get through them in a heart beat.

As some other books needed returning to the library today I quickly looked up some books to get, and have reserved The last kingdom, The winter King-both by Bernard Cornwell, and When Christ and his saints slept by Sharon Penman.Having only one at the actual library I brought back The Winter King, so will give that a go, but would like to hear what others think of it.

What would your recommendations be for some good historical fiction?

When Christ and his saints slept by Sharon Penman.

What would your recommendations be for some good historical fiction?

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as I have others by Sharon Penman. She researches extremely well (I think she studied medieval history at uni) and this particular book was enjoyable to me as I particularly like that period of history (ie The Anarchy of King Stephen and Empress Matilda). If that period of history interests you, then Ellis Peters wrote the Brother Cadfael Books around the same period and they are my favourite of all historical fiction.

I also recommend the Crowner John series of books by Bernard Knight. These are based around a Coroner of Exeter during the times of Prince John. They are crime based but Bernard Knight used to be a Home Office Coroner and he certainly knows his forensics - the stories are just great.

If you like historical sagas, you can do very well with Elizabeth Chadwick's books. Her research is so meticulous and her writing really brings her stories to life.

Enjoy!

The Winter King was one of our Reading Circle choices a while back. Perhaps you'd like to let us know what you thought of it when you're finished HERE.

If you enjoy Roman historical fiction, I can highly recommend Simon Scarrow's Roman Legion series (see HERE for reading order and info).