Page Numbers - Grr!

Nollaig

Well, I guess it varies between practices, but I'd guess it's usually because there are other "official" pages of the book other than the actual story pages. Like the cover page, the one with the copyright informations etc. So starting the page numbers with 1 where the story begins would exclude these as a part of the book. It's not a page number for the story, it's for the book, after all!

You have a point ii but I still find it annoying.

I think the pages should be numbered from the beginning of the story only, we don't need the other pages numbered. Books with contents in which help you skip to a certain chapter rely on the numbered pages and I would expect those books to start at number one on the actual first page of the story, be that prologue or first chapter I don't mind. As long as it's the story and not title page, contents or publishing info. The book I'm reading atm for example is guitly of such. The story begins on page 5.....:/ every single page is numbered in the book, which is probably the correct thing to do but It doesn't feel right to me, especially when counting how many pages you have read, we rarely read the publishing information.:)

It's funny what little things annoy some people while others do not think of it.

Talisman thank you for sharing the reason why there are so many blank pages in some books. I'm glad to see many other authors place info on blank pages too. Otherwise it does feel like paper has been wasted.

Well, I guess it varies between practices, but I'd guess it's usually because there are other "official" pages of the book other than the actual story pages. Like the cover page, the one with the copyright informations etc. So starting the page numbers with 1 where the story begins would exclude these as a part of the book. It's not a page number for the story, it's for the book, after all!

I think it depends on whether whoever is responsible for laying out the book properly distinguishes between the front matter, main matter, and back matter of the book, and treats each logical section of the book differently. I prefer it when the front matter (cover page, copyright, TOC, preface/introduction) is distinguishable from the main body of work, and given its own page numbering style, otherwise the whole book looks like it's been printed from a word processor with no care given to the book design.

Page numbers just don't bother me. When I did my degree I used them as a reference point for notes etc, but personal reading? I only notice if I haven't a bookmark handy and need to remember where I was.

I also find that my mind registers page shape rather than number, so if I want to look back at something in the book I'm reading than I will find it by seeing the page again. Just realised how weird that actually sounds.

It's the same with me, I also remeber the shape of a page more. But I always like to know how much pages the book has that I'm reading. And sometimes how much I still have to read till the end of the book. (Because I can't stand to give up a book.) And then it's annoying when you have to look at the beginning at which number this book starts.

I would also like that all books start at 1!!!

But the worst case for me are the scripts for some university courses, they are each chapters seperately numbered. I always have to calculate the page numbers of the whole thing....:lol:

:D

A quick survey of the 6 books in close proximity to my keyboard would lead me to believe that page numbering in books is somewhat arbitrary. However, you can get you perfect start if you're willing to dig deep!!

Of the 6 books,

3 have the text starting on Page 1!! (The Film Club by David Gilmour , The Gift of Therapy by Irvin Yalom and The Book of Tea by Kakuzo Okakura)

1 each then start on Pages 3, 4, and 9.

• 3 months later...
It doesn't annoy me as such. If I'm on page 100 I'll just say that I've read a 100 pages, even if I didn't start on one. :D:tong:

Me too! I didn't actually think about it until now, but of course that's all I'm going to be able to think of from now on! :lol: