The Pliocene Exiles by Julian May

hume

I recall when finishing Lord Of The Rings, I felt elated, a wild euphoria was upon me. But when that passed I was confronted with a chasm and the only thing to come from it was the query of what to read next?

I can recall at 12 I agonised over this and eventually picked up 'The Many Coloured Land' by Julian May.

This is a review from amazon

"I bought the Many Coloured Land on a recomendation from a friend. I have not been so truly gripped by a book in a very long time. Admittedly the book starts very slowly as you become introduced to the Exiles but suddenly after about 150 pages the book takes off and you're whirled away in to the Pliocene Epoch.

May has mixed some wonderful and plausible views of the future with myths of the past and come up with something quite astounding. I think what impressed me most through the series is the way that she (Julian May is a she by the way) swings your emotions from one side to the other almost at will. As the saga continues through The Golden Torc, The NonBorn King and The Adversary you will be amazed at your own fickleness as your support sways from one faction to another and back again. These four books are a delight. If I was to grade The Many Coloured Land as a book in and of itself it would probably get 4 stars if only because of its slow start, but once you have started just make sure that you have the others waiting on the shelf!".

Why I post is because I've hit another chasm. Except this time I'm a little weary of reading and need something to kick start my love affair.

For anyone who has read these books and loved them, can you recommend me a good sci fi read or non fiction book.

p.s. scrap the last paragraph I think 'Imajica' by Clive Barker is my next read. Feel free to recollect on the pliocene series as I really would love to talk to others who have read it.

Edited by hume
this medium is so slow, i wish i could instantly access like minded people