A Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

Kate

Synopsis:

'I had a dream last night... large enough to fill the rest of my life.' This retelling of John Bunyan's classic story is filled with drama, excitement and adventure. On his journey of a life-time to the City of Gold, Christian meets an extraordinary cast of characters, such as the terrible Giant Despair and the monster Apollyon. Together with Hopeful, his steadfast companion, he survives the snipers and mantraps, the Great Bog, Vanity Fair, Lucre Hill and Castle Doubting. But will he find the courage to cross the final river to the City of Gold and his salvation?

I struggled with this book. Several times I considered stopping. I found it boring. I was not engaged with the story and no character stood out to me.

The story is split into two parts. The first follows Christian on his pilgrimage, and the second part follows his wife Christina on her pilgrimage. I found the second half of the book very similar to the first part as she is going along the same route as that which Christian walked. They met all sorts of people - very cleverly named, such as Hopeful, Faithful, Talkative etc. and some which attempted to prevent the pilgrims and some which enabled their mission. They face all sorts of struggles in their bid to get to the river. Giants and hobgoblins needed to be fought.

The book contains the Gospel story and is full of Bible verses. If you don't like "being preached too" through books, this is not for you.

I just didn't enjoy this book.

4/10

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Pilgrim's Progress. Its one of my favourite books and it still astounds me everytime I read it. I don't imagine all that many non-Christians would want to read this book, as it is pretty "in your face unapologetic Christianity" but at the time, and since then really, this book and John Bunyan have both been considered literary greats of their time. The fact that its a retelling I'm guessing means that its a modern translation? The original is much better.

What gives this book another level, in my opinion, is the fact that the story came to Bunyan in a dream during his time spent in prison for being a evangelical preacher. Its pretty incredible stuff really, but we all have our own tastes and opinions!

It's definitely one of those books that you have to go into with a certain perspective and expectation. If you accept it for what it is, and especially if you're a Christian yourself, it really is a beautifully written book in it's original form. How it came about and it's history in the church add another dimension to it.

Of course it's preachy. What did you expect? Bunyan was a preacher, and the book is a Christian allegory.

So is the lion the witch and the wardrobe, but it's not preachy in the same way.

So is the lion the witch and the wardrobe, but it's not preachy in the same way.

I completely agree. C.S. Lewis is more subtle, more readable. Bunyan is very in-your-face

I completely agree. C.S. Lewis is more subtle, more readable. Bunyan is very in-your-face

That's because CS Lewis was an apologist, Bunyan was a preacher. CSL thought you converted people by going for their logic, getting under their skin with appeals to nature and root moral sense, rather than fire and brimstone.