Paperplane's Reading 09

paperplane

Finally finished the Twilight series, I liked the first two but then it started to go downhill towards the end of Eclipse. Breaking Dawn was irritating the entire way through I had to skim read the last few chapters to just get it done and out of the way. By the end of it Bella seems to be a bland obsessive character and as for Edward he needs to stop being under the thumb and MAN-UP!

Started The Beach yesterday and am liking it so far.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't read for what seems like a long time, I started reading No Country for Old Men but couldn't get into it. Yesterday I forced myself to finish it and today I only have about 20-30ish pages to go. It's okay, not great, one of the main reasons it has put me off is I really don't like the way it's written. Way to many 'ands'!

E.g pg 102 'He left the office with the key in his shirtpocket AND got into the Ramcharger AND drove down around to the side of the building AND parked AND got out AND walked down to the room carrying the bag with the receiver AND the guns in it.

That's exactly as it is throughout most of the book. I think I prefer the movie.

I have No Country For Old Men on my shelf - I did make one half hearted attempt to get into it, but I had other things I wanted to read more. The writing style did seem to put me off when I started.... I hope I do actually like it after reading it though :) I've also seen and loved the movie - that's why I bought the book at all.

I started reading The Master and Margarita a few days ago and am absolutely loving it so far. For some reason I get a 'Studio Ghibli-esque' feel from it especially the part ( I won't hide it as I spoiler as I it's where I'm up to..) where Behemoth the cat and Koroviev are on stage in the theatre performing their trickery before the audience.

The translation is fairly good, a few words could have been switched around to make more sense. The one I picked up is by Richard Pevear I only found out later that the one by Michael Glenny supposedly flows a little better.

Edited by paperplane

• 2 weeks later...

Have since finished Master and Margarita which I've highlighted on the first page as a book I'd definitely recommend.

I've started the second book from the Sookie Stackhouse series 'Dead in Dallas' I'm finding it a little boring and far fetched. I know it is a fantasy book where supernatural stuff is supposed to be normal but it's getting borderline stupid now.

I did like the first book for a quick read but I think after I finish this one, it'll be all for the series unless I get around to watching the tv show it may make a difference..

• 2 weeks later...

Gahh still stuck on this book!

I think partly because I'm stuck in a I-have-no-idea-what-to-do-with-my-life crisis at the moment...

Will hopefully soon report back with some books crossed off my list!

Finally got through 'Living Dead in Dallas' definetely won't be continuing on with the series.

Have started on 'The Picture of Dorian Gray', which it's going good so far, I was a bit hesitant to start it because I've found that it's one of those books where you either love it or hate it plus I've had a running streak of reading books that have left me feeling underwhelmed one after the other lately (minus Master and Margarita).

Have added quite a few books to my list thanks to wasting time on goodreads!

Edited by paperplane

I started on 'The Seance' last night by John Harwood, so far it's easy to get into and doesn't waffle on unlike some books that are set in the Victorian era I find tend to do.

I also finished 'The Picture of Dorian Gray', it was ok, nothing spectacular, the reason I read it was it always seems to be on those 100 top books to read lists. I'd give it a 3/5.

I finished 'The Seance' as of about 20 minutes ago, just before my stop at Town Hall!

I've highlighted on my first page as a book I'd recommend, I found it kept me guessing right till the end and as I said above was easy to get straight in to. I probably would have preferred reading it in one sitting rather then to and from work due to rather noisy people on the train lately. :)

ETA: Looks like I'll need to go book shopping at lunch!

Haven't read for what seems like a long time, I started reading No Country for Old Men but couldn't get into it. Yesterday I forced myself to finish it and today I only have about 20-30ish pages to go. It's okay, not great, one of the main reasons it has put me off is I really don't like the way it's written. Way to many 'ands'!

E.g pg 102 'He left the office with the key in his shirtpocket AND got into the Ramcharger AND drove down around to the side of the building AND parked AND got out AND walked down to the room carrying the bag with the receiver AND the guns in it.

That's exactly as it is throughout most of the book. I think I prefer the movie.

I'm reading this book right now. Cormac McCarthy is a brilliant writer. It took me awhile to get into his writing style. The Road is written very similar. I'm almost done reading this book, then I want to write a review on it. I do know what you mean by his use of the word "and" tho.

I finished 'And Then There Were None' a few days ago now and loved it! I asked my mum whether she has read any Agatha Christie and she told me that when she was younger she had just about every one of them, I wish she kept them as now I want to read them all!

Over the weekend I broke my big toe so have had a couple of lazy days off, have started 'Lord of the Flies'.. not sure if I'll like it, am still in the first few pages though. On Goodreads people have either loved it and given it 5 stars or hated it and have given it 1 star hmm...

Have since finished 'The Lord of the Flies'. I liked it but I was a bit let down by the ending...

I thought/was kind of hoping Ralph would have been speared by Jack himself or by one of the other savages, after all that they went through on the island it annoyed me how a navy/sailor guy turns up right when he's going to be killed and whisks them all away.

Started 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time last night, am liking it so far..

Have since finished 'The Lord of the Flies'. I liked it but I was a bit let down by the ending...

I thought/was kind of hoping Ralph would have been speared by Jack himself or by one of the other savages, after all that they went through on the island it annoyed me how a navy/sailor guy turns up right when he's going to be killed and whisks them all away.

Started 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time last night, am liking it so far..

Glad to hear you finished it. I agree about the ending too! Too Hollywood for me :D

• 2 weeks later...

Argh! It's almost September already, I've had a little break from reading for the moment but need to get cracking! I'm hoping to have read at least 50 books by the end of the year so about 16 more to go which seems doable as long as I keep up my pace!

I believe the Twilight rage is still going strong, my mum recently finished the whole series a few weeks ago and has now conned my sister into them. :D

Am hoping to knock off some more Agatha Christie, House of Leaves and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy!

I couldn't get 'House of Leaves' they told me it's out of print, I'll have to get it off the Book Depository or Amazon.

However I did come back with two Agatha Christie books, 'Murder on the Orient Express' and 'The Thirteen Problems'

I couldn't get 'House of Leaves' they told me it's out of print, I'll have to get it off the Book Depository or Amazon.
That's vexing, it was on my wishlist too. Let me know if you find it and how good you find it if you do!

I'm not sure why either BookJumper, it does appear to have a 'cult status' hanging off it so I'm not sure why it's out of print here is Aus anyway, but I'll definitely track one down.

I finished 'Murder on the Orient Express' this morning, one thing I like about Agatha Christie's way of writing is even though she painfully draws out the slow suspense building process, she still manages to keep you interested without repeating things in a round-about way. The ending was not what I was expecing either!

• 4 weeks later...

I started reading another Agatha Christie a while ago now called 'The Thirteen Problems' but have given up on it for the time being. I'll have to come back to it as I hate abandoning books especially as I liked the other two I read.

I've started on Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier and am really enjoying it so far, am thinking of getting a hold of Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman the 'sequel' to it.

Finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy the other day but it wasn't really what I expected it to be, I read it was meant to be hilariously funny but I only laughed once near the beginning. Maybe I just didn't 'get' it hmm...I'm glad it was a short read.

Have started on Lolita, quite disturbing so far but it appears to be written really well..

I didn't find Hitchhiker to be laugh out loud funny either, but I found it really enjoyable (enough so that I have the others on my TBR pile).

I loved Lolita. Disturbing but brilliant. I love Nabokov's style of writing.