You cannot call yourself a reader unless you've read...

KAY

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good one, do you think she bought it?

Thank you. I'm pretty proud of it myself.

And so far, so good. Of course she could be off-line, so I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

You managed to swing it around back ON topic, so I'll let it go this time!

*wants to make a Willy Wonka related comment*

The old movie is better, people!!! The new was like the book yes, but the original movie (Gene Wilder) was brilliant.

meep :blush:

*runs away*

It's a good job you mentioned the book in there somewhere!

:lol:

Of course, I was going to direct you all to a thread that I'm SURE I started in the dim and distant past, discussing just this subject.. but I think the archive fairies have been at it!

Oh that's typical, she appears when *I* go off-topic! :blush::lol:

Though to be fair to me, I'm usually pretty on-topic.

I agree with everything ii said, people at the start of this thread starting commenting on what makes one a 'reader' which is entirely a different thing - it would be interesting to see the same people comment on the 'well-read' thing too, as they're quite different.

^ See? On-topicness. :17::D

Well, ON topic... in my view, if you read more than one book, you're a reader. If you read, and have read, a variety of books which develop your mind and challenge your intellect, you're 'well read'.

:blush: couldn`t have said it better!

Well one should read the children's classics and of course Harry Potter, and read as many as books as they can. I really must get into Terry Pratchett.

That is my life's challenge.

Well, ON topic... in my view, if you read more than one book, you're a reader. If you read, and have read, a variety of books which develop your mind and challenge your intellect, you're 'well read'.

Unless you read the Sun, :blush:

Edited by Janet
Merged consecutive posts

And that leads to another question that is bound to trouble the human kind for centuries to come: which movie is better? Not 'more like the book', but better?

Ooh, here we go again! I think this debate just about deserves its own thread in the debating room :lol:

Willy Wonka's not that good, but the oompa-loompas are brilliant. Of course the scene where the kids come to the factory for the first time, that's waaaaay better in the new one.

Willy Wonka is way better in the original! I agree with you on the oompa-loompas though.

The old movie is better, people!!! The new was like the book yes, but the original movie (Gene Wilder) was brilliant.

meep :17:

*runs away*

Hooray! I have another Gene Wilder fan on my side! Welcome aboard Roxi! :blush: I love Gene Wilder. He IS Willy Wonka. What a terrific guy :D

And, er, I think anyone who reads is a reader, although, as others have stated, being well-read is another thing altogether.

The Sun is a trashy newspaper here in the UK :blush:

(and I prefer the old film too)

Thank you. But how is that related to anything, especially my quote Colin used?

And the films are now getting their own debate thread. Will poll. *goes off to start that one* Any further discussion on this particular off-topic s kindly to be taken there, and any other random off-topic can go to my brand new Off-Topic thread in the Members' Area, before Michelle gives us all a good sound spanking for misbehaving. Thank you!

I like to think i'm a real reader, someone who is open to a variation of genres and reads anything and everything. However the other day i realised i had not read the true classic "Animal farm". I felt it was one book i had to read. I then thought of other books that you cant call yourself a reader if you have not read. For example "catcher in the rye" " to kill a mocking bird", " Curious incident of the dog in the night", " Rebecca" by daphane du Maurier, " memoirs of a Geisha", "Angelas Ashes" etc...... This is just in my opinion. What book woould you say must be read if you want to call yourself a reader?

Well I'm open to a variety of genres and topics, and I've read 'Animal farm' and attempted 'Memoirs of a Geisha', not read any of the others you mentioned, it depends on individual taste, you could be a real reader of classics or a real reader of fantasy and not touch any other genre and still be classed as a real reader, if you read books and more than the usual common/ popular books such as 'Harry Potter' (which is ramed down out throats - no offence) then I class you as a reader and like you :roll:.

You cannot call yourself a reader unless you've read - full stop for me;)
yes i agree as long as you read books foremost as well as magazine articles or newspapers Edited by Maureen
Punctuation