Michelle 2009

Michelle

Heavenly is finished, and has been added to my list of reviews to write. I'm getting behind on those! I've also finished another of the Edge Chronicles books.. I'm setting up a blog for those, but again.. time!

I'm struggling with a couple of review books, so I picked up Never Let Me Go last night.. a bit late for the reading circle, but a good start. :D

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

After finishing Never Let Me Go (which I was very glad I picked up), I moved on to a couple of review books, which I will try to review soon: The Wow Signal by Patrick Chapman, and Doctor Mooze by Erik Ryman.

I'm now reading The Forgotten Legion by Ben Kane.. this arrived in the post from a publisher, and I wasn't sure I'd like it.. but I am completely hooked, and will be disappointed when it ends! :D

Reviews are done for Doctor Mooze, The Wow Signal and The Forgotten Legion.

I'm getting a bit frustrated though, because my reviews seem to be getting worse instead of better - it's almost as if I sit down at the computer, and all my ideas disappear.. I'm finding it even harder than usual to express myself and my thoughts. :D

Anyway, a while ago I was sent Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder by Derek Gunn, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, even though it's more of a "man's book". I'm now reading the sequel, Descent Into Chaos, and it's another good one. :)

I also picked up and started The Kite Runner yesterday.. I decided it was about time!

I'm getting a bit frustrated though, because my reviews seem to be getting worse instead of better - it's almost as if I sit down at the computer, and all my ideas disappear.. I'm finding it even harder than usual to express myself and my thoughts. :)

I went through a phase of that. It's most annoying.

I try to scribble down as many thoughts as I can now and then try to make something coherent out of them!

As I was sick, I managed to get some reading done, and finished The Kite Runner - it was a nicely written book, and I'm glad I've read it, but I got rather frustrated with the coincidences.

I'm now having trouble choosing what to read, so I'm dipping into King's 'Just After Sunset'.. some have been silly, but some really good. :blush: I may well be sinking into a horror phase!

I've read most of Just After Sunset, but apart from that, I had no idea what to read next, despite having many books on my shelves! I wanderd into WHSmiths yesterday, and decided to see if anything caught my eye.

I saw Noughts and Crosses, and knowing that it's had some good reviews on here, I decided to give it a go. As well as that, whilst looking at a selection of books for children and teens, I found myself drawn to Newes from the Dead..

It is 1650 and a baby lies raw and cold, dead before it even drew breath. A young servant girl, terrified and alone, is accused of its murder and sent to the gallows. Protesting her innocence in the chill air of a December morning, Anne Green is hanged. Moments later her lifeless body is lifted down from the scaffold and carried to the College of Physicians for brutal dissection.

But as Anne's corpse lies on the table and the doctors assemble, a strange rattle is heard in her throat. Against all the odds, could she still be alive?

Edited by Michelle

Hmm.. I have such mixed thoughts of Noughts and Crosses.. as I said in it's thread, the first part of the book I actually found rather annoying. I felt as if I'd rather read a straightforward story about racism and segregation, or a fantasy story that took the themes, and came up with something different.. it was almost as if she was trying to be clever switching the colours around.

However, once they were separated, I did find myself rather pulled into the story, wanting to know what the outcome was.. and I'm glad it wasn't 'happy ever after'! Mind you, I do find it frustrating whenever

anyone gets pregnant after having sex just once! Yes, I know it is possible, but it does seem rather convenient for the story!

I'm reading Newes from the Dead.. it's ok, but rather lacking in depth so far.

Bad Science arrived today, so I will be tucking into that soon! :smile2:

Bad Science is great - thank you Andy for bringing it to my attention. :welcomebcf:

Today WHSmiths were evil, having a buy one get one free offer. I came out with:

The Reader

Slumdog Millionaire

The Birthing House

A Thousand Splendid Suns

all of which are trying to demand my attention at the same time!! lol

Added: I've just been adding these to LT and GoodReads, and The Birthing House has some terrible reviews. :D

Edited by Michelle

Michelle, I've read Slumdog and A Thousand Splendid Suns... ATSS is one of my favorite books ever. It's beautifully written and a wonderful story.. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Added: I've just been adding these to LT and GoodReads, and The Birthing House has some terrible reviews. :welcomebcf:

Michelle, IMHO, the Birthing House is one of the worst books I have read. It did look so good and eerie when I read the back cover but don't be fooled. I can't find anything redeeming to say about it:blush: It has long since gone to the charity shop .......

Today WHSmiths were evil, having a buy one get one free offer.

Waterstone's have been almost as bad, sending me an email to say there are double points on all books this weekend - I'm sure they know I'm going to be near a shop and won't be able to resist now. :welcomebcf: I'm still supposed to be hanging off any more books until I've reduced that darned TBR pile!