Lost- series 5 *Spoilers alert.*

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.. I'd love to get some thoughts on last night's episode, and the series as a whole.

NB: I don't want to have to keep adding spoilers, so if you haven't caught the finale yet, don't read on!

I loved it when Miles calmly asked them if they'd considered the fact that they may be causing the incident, rather than stopping it! Were they there to help destiny along, or to go against it?

Also, was the flash of light the bomb going off, another time jump, or a combination of both?

I don't think they've altered history (the future!) in the way they were hoping, because we wouldn't have much of a series 6 if they all land safely in LA! They could, of course, retain some sort of memory, and want to get back to help others.. but we've pretty much just done that in this series, so I doubt it.

So, is there a time flash that has sent them all back to the current time.. and is that all, or has it altered the time line?

Personally, I think the pocket + the bomb was 'The Incident', beause of all the concrete that was in the hatch when they got down there. Maybe the bomb was just damaged, which was enough to cause the time shift, but back in 1977 they had to throw concrete on it to prevent anything further happening.

So what did the button in the hatch do? Did it release a controlled amount of the electro-magnetic energy? Because when they were late pressing it, we saw that energy in action. And the fail safe.. was that the rest of the bomb being allowed to go off, which destroyed the energy?

And onto the future.. is Jacob really dead? I liked the way that we've all been wondering about Ben and Widmore, with regards who are 'good' and 'bad'.. when all the time we've had two god-like figures, who seem to be causing it all!

Phew! Discuss.... :welcome:

In what way, Maureen? I'm assuming that the guy-in-black from the beginning of the finale has taken on Locke's form. That probably leads to the theory that all the 'dead' people we've seen (Christian etc) have been him taking their form. The writers have been quite insistant that 'dead is dead'. :welcome:

But the 'dead John' was on the plane that way, and is still that way - dead....while the other John, the alive one, just appeared, no? And I really cannot think why Jacob would let Ben kill him.

Yep - the 'proper' John is dead, and has been all the time. The one we've been seeing back on the island is a 'fake John'.. ie the man in black from the beginning of the finale.

But the 'dead John' was on the plane that way, and is still that way - dead....while the other John, the alive one, just appeared, no? And I really cannot think why Jacob would let Ben kill him.

Yep - the 'proper' John is dead, and has been all the time. The one we've been seeing back on the island is a 'fake John'.. ie the man in black from the beginning of the finale.

I agree with Michelle. Ben clearly said that "Dead is dead". As for Jacob, Maureen, I think (but it's just a theory I have) he don't want to change things, or he would never ever have touched Locke after falling all those stories: he seemed healed after Jacob touched him. In the thread Jacob is threading at the beginning of the season finale, ther's written in ancient greek "May the gods give you wathever your heart desires". Which is something Jacob tend to suggest to losties when he meets them: to kate he says not to steal again, to Jack suggest that maybe all his father wanted him to have was a little push, so he shouln't bother, he gives little Sawyer a pen, to write to, I guess, let him make a clear breast of it.

In this frame Jacob is a good guy who loves humans (is he one too ?), wants them happy and knows that everything ends just once, but ther's before it ends the time to progress, to achieve something better, a better life.

Only one thing doesn't fit: Nadia. This threat my theory.

So when is Season 6 starting, then? :welcome:

Early 2010 :smile2:

The one who says 'Do you know how badly I want to kill you'....and that he will find the loophole?

Ok, so black-dress guy cannot kill Jacob himself - for whatever reason. And Jacob can only be killed by Ben - perhaps because he was able to come back to the island - something which Whitmore was not able to do.

Oh, how can I wait 6-7 months for the next episode now! GRRRR

Edited by Maureen

You have all given me something to think about!

I think that there is something to do with father issues somewhere in there. Locke's dad pushed him out of a window and generally treated him badly, Jack keeps seeing Christian although he is dead, Christian is also Claire's dad, Kate killed her step father, Miles didn't know his dad until he got to the Island, Charles Widmore is Daniel's dad (although I don't think that Daniel knew), Ben's father resented him, Sawyer's dad killed his mother and then himself...that's all I can think of at the moment.

As an aside, wasn't it nice to see Rose and Bernard, albeit briefly! :welcome: