chesilbeach 2009

chesilbeach

Haha, I was hoping you didn't feel like I'd just stolen your ideas. I'm not very creative when it comes to designing stuff like blogs. :welcome:

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the joy of Wordpress - ready made templates! Don't have to design anything, just choose a theme and away you go.

Having said that, I have another website that I wrote the CSS code for - aargh!!! Thinking of going back to a standard theme as it's such a nightmare trying to figure out how to apply the code to the Wordpress standard without being able to use proper cascading style sheets.

I can imagine that's a struggle. I'm not very good at things to do with that really, coding and things.. I once had to get Roxi to sort mine out for me when I was struggling and threatening to throw my laptop out of the window.

The top of my TBR pile now is The Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith which I'm really looking forward to, and at only 134 pages, I don't think it'll last long!

Ooh, I loved this book, Chesilbeach. I look forward to reading your thoughts! Do you have an illustrated version?

Ooh, I loved this book, Chesilbeach. I look forward to reading your thoughts! Do you have an illustrated version?

Yes, it is. It's the Oxford World's Classics version, which has the original illustrations in. I haven't actually started it this evening after all, as we got caught up watching Doctor Who on DVD, but it will definitely be started tomorrow, so will write my thoughts on it as soon as I've finished.

What a charming, funny read The Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith was. A comic diary of Mr Charles Pooter, a late 19th century middle class clerk, this book is a witty chronicle of the ordinary suburban life and a great little read (only took me about two hours). I loved it, and would particularly recommend it to anyone who likes The Diary of a Provincial Lady by E. M. Delafield or the Mapp and Lucia series by E. F. Benson or Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day by Winifred Watson.

I'm not sure about my next book already, having seen some very mediocre reviews, but I'll try to start with an open mind and give it a fair chance! It's Chasing Harry Winston by Laura Weisberger, whose first book was The Devil Wears Prada.

What a charming, funny read The Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith was. A comic diary of Mr Charles Pooter, a late 19th century middle class clerk, this book is a witty chronicle of the ordinary suburban life and a great little read (only took me about two hours). I loved it, and would particularly recommend it to anyone who likes The Diary of a Provincial Lady by E. M. Delafield or the Mapp and Lucia series by E. F. Benson or Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day by Winifred Watson.

Excellent. I'm so glad you liked it :friends0: I'm going to add those two other books to my wishlist, thanks!

Stayed up way too late last night finishing Chasing Harry Winston by Laura Weisberger, but the only reason for staying up late was purely to get it finished, so I'd be able to make a fresh start on a new book today. Nowhere near up to the standards of The Devil Wears Prada, it was a book about beautiful people who felt sorry for themselves because their lives weren't perfect. Weisberger seemed to just throw in occasional morsels of information that might make you feel more empathy with some of the characters, but it just didn't ring true. I think I'll give her one more go with her next book, but if it's as poor as this, I won't bother again, as she seems to be getting progressively worse over her three books, and I wonder if The Devil Wears Prada will be her only good book because from what we understand, it was semi-autobiographical, and she doesn't have the experience to draw on to write other novels.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, hopefully! Today, I will be starting Andalus by Jason Webster, which promises to be a fascinating journey to look at Spain's forgotten Arab legacy.

Just read the last 20 pages of Andalus by Jason Webster. It took me a while to decide to read this book, as I'm not really a fan of history books, and I had a feeling this would veer more towards the history genre and away from travel, but I'm glad I picked it up in the end. It is just as much about the author's travelling and recounting of the stories and conversations with the various people he meets to learn about the Moorish legacy in Spain, with a liberal sprinkling of history and myth thrown. I loved his delight in finding the Arabic origins of common words and phrases in Spanish. Well worth reading, and I'll be adding the other book of his I haven't read, Guerra, to my wishlist.

Yes, it caught my eye in the bookshop yesterday, and sounded like my cup of tea! I'll definitely be recording my thoughts here, although I've put it a few books down my TBR list, as I've got others I need to read for reading groups, friends, etc., so it might not be a for a couple of weeks yet.

Finished Pies and Prejudice by Stuart Maconie this afternoon. Not sure how it would travel internationally, but for the English who've spent years hearing about the North-South divide, it is a very funny book. Thoroughly enjoyable, and I will be looking for Cider With Roadies and Adventures on the High Teas (once it comes down in price!) soon. There's an excerpt from Cider With Roadies in the back of Pies and Prejudice, which includes a very funny phone conversation he had with his mum about seeing The Beatles in concert, so I know I'm going to enjoy that as well. I don't normally put much faith in reviews that say a book is laugh out loud funny, as at their funniest, most books make me smile or chuckle at best, but I genuinely have laughed at this book, and recommend it to northerners and southerners alike :)

Hope you like them, rwemad!

I managed to get hold of Cider With Roadies myself today, along with another three books :D ... so much for not buying any more books for a while!

Finished Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders this afternoon, which was very good, although Constance's birthday present was a bit of a surprise, but overall I really enjoyed it. I wonder how many more books Mr Brandreth is planning?

Also (re-)read a bit more of Twilight as well.

Eee, what's all the fuss about Twighlight? So many people are reading these books! Do you think I should have a go? Or will I pick one up, think 'Life's too short' and then hurl it over my shoulder?

I hope you're very well. :D

Eee, what's all the fuss about Twighlight? So many people are reading these books! Do you think I should have a go? Or will I pick one up, think 'Life's too short' and then hurl it over my shoulder?

I hope you're very well. :D

I'm good, thanks. Hope this finds you good too :lol:

You will definitely want to hurl Twilight over your shoulder ... I'll probably get shouted at for this, but, it's a girl thing :tong:

It's not very well written, the main female character is pretty weak and angst ridden, often cited as being anti-feminist but there is something about it that captures first love and makes my heart beat faster and sets off the butterflies in my tummy. It's definitely a guilty pleasure.

Oh no, I'm feeling very guilty.

I know I've had the day off work, but to have polished off Twilight, started and finished New Moon and have made a start on Eclipse, I feel like someone on a diet who has just eaten a huge pizza and a tub of Ben & Jerry's!

I'd forgotten how engrossing these books are, and I'm hoping I can put them aside after finishing Breaking Dawn - some time tomorrow, if today is anything to go by! I have two books to read for my reading group in a couple of weeks time, as well as a mountainous pile of TBR books on the shelf, and here I am indulging in those darned teenage vampire love stories again!!! :D

:lol: I know what you mean, if you haven't read them already, you might enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, they're a more adult version of Twilight, and they're very good :006:

I might well be tempted to try those, but I really do need to get on with my already huge TBR list first!

Just finished Breaking Dawn, so that's the entire Twilight series in 48 hours. :readingtwo: How sad am I? :smile2:

Will I be able to break the Meyer effect and move onto a proper book? I'm not sure yet, and will leave it this evening (maybe just watch the film again to prevent withdrawal symptoms), and see how I feel in the morning.

I might well be tempted to try those, but I really do need to get on with my already huge TBR list first!

Just finished Breaking Dawn, so that's the entire Twilight series in 48 hours. :) How sad am I? :)

Will I be able to break the Meyer effect and move onto a proper book? I'm not sure yet, and will leave it this evening (maybe just watch the film again to prevent withdrawal symptoms), and see how I feel in the morning.

Chesilbeach, have you found something to move on to? I like your line "maybe just watch the film again to prevent withdrawal symptoms" and if you don't mind I may steal it since it's a good excuse to use when talking to the haters ;).

You're not sad at all! The first time I read NM and Eclipse I did them in one sitting. The others I forced myself to take my time but I still did it pretty quickly.