Reading Quirks!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I only had one quirk which I posted earlier in the thread (checking how many pages a book has, and setting myself a 'target' amount of pages to read every day). However, reading through this thread has made me realise that I have a few more!

1. If I buy a series of books (the Inspector Montalbano books by Andrea Camilleri are a case in point), I have to have the same set of covers for all of them.

2. If a book has been made into a film or tv show, I NEVER buy the covers with any images or actors from the movie - I always prefer non tie-in covers.

3. Before I close a book for the night, I have to have reached the bottom of a page (and it has to also be the end of a sentence or paragraph).

3. Before I close a book for the night, I have to have reached the bottom of a page (and it has to also be the end of a sentence or paragraph).

I aim to reach the end of the chapter, but if it is too long, I settle for the nearest '10' page (20, 30, 40, 50, etc.) Or, if I'm near to a '100' page mark, I'll keep going til I get to that.

2. If a book has been made into a film or tv show, I NEVER buy the covers with any images or actors from the movie - I always prefer non tie-in covers.

Hm, forgot about that. Same applies to me!

I don't like to, but if I get the chance of one at 20p (like I did on Friday) instead of the current price of

Ah well I guess thats fair enough :roll: The quality isn't great, no, but it does the job for me, particularly for my English Lit classes, given that we get through about 8 novels a year :(

That's why I'm looking forward to lit so much!!!

Plus, when you've pait next-to-nothing for t, you won't feel bad underlining things and writing comments on it. You know you'll be buying "proper" ones of the ones you like / want to keep anyways!

Plus, when you've pait next-to-nothing for t, you won't feel bad underlining things and writing comments on it. You know you'll be buying "proper" ones of the ones you like / want to keep anyways!

EXACTLY. I have three copies of Wuthering Heights (possibly my favourite gothic style novel.) One I bought as a young teen, and wore out with reading it. Its replacement, my shiny clean copy with a pretty cover, and then one with critical essays and so on which I used to scribble on when I studied it in college! :roll:

I aim to reach the end of the chapter, but if it is too long, I settle for the nearest '10' page (20, 30, 40, 50, etc.) Or, if I'm near to a '100' page mark, I'll keep going til I get to that.

I do that too, go to the nearest 10 pg or 100 pg if the chapter is just too long and I need to go to sleep.

I also look to see how many pages or chapters are in a book and work out how much I might be able to read each day.

When it comes to never throwing a book out, what about all the books I have found upstairs with pages missing (not my books)? No one wants a book with a page missing.

I have had to let go of most of my quirks, such as never putting a book face down. When the children are constantly calling I have rush about so I tend to not care much, unless it belongs to someone else, or is a special book, or hardback. I could never be that mean to my Harry Potter hardback books.

Also, if I can get a book as a Penguin rather than, say a Wordsworth Classic, and I'm buying new, then I would pay the extra for the Penguin Classics edition.

See, I rather like the lovely blue Worsworth editions - I have rather a lot of those on my TBR mountain (in fact, almost all the classic books on my pile are the Wordsworth editions - LOL!). They have lovely pictures on the front covers and the blue spines look nice all put together on the shelf.

If I'm nearing a '100' page mark I'll also keep going until I reach it. Otherwise I like to finish at the end of a chapter, or at the end of a paragraph on the right-hand page (that way, when I next pick it up, I don't have much to read before I get to turn a page :()

See, I rather like the lovely blue Worsworth editions - I have rather a lot of those on my TBR mountain (in fact, almost all the classic books on my pile are the Wordsworth editions - LOL!). They have lovely pictures on the front covers and the blue spines look nice all put together on the shelf.

I have quite a few Wordsworths. They're cheap, got nice informative intros and nice covers. :roll:

If I'm having a particularly good reading day, I like to go back to the page I started on and see just how much of a chunk I've taken out of the book, so to speak. Again, for the sense of achievement. :(