Ian Rankin - Rebus

Hi all, just recently i have gotten into crime fiction after years of being a horror fan, my mom is always recommending the Rebus series to me i was just wondering if they need to be read in order or not,

thanks in advance and if anyone can reccomend any more good authors like him that would be great

They don't necessarily need to be read in order, but I think that they should as there is a fair amout of background info about Rebus & the other characters in the earlier novels, so the later ones would make more sense if you had read the earlier ones first.

Hmmm ... I think I shall add Resurrection Men to my wishlist seeing as its the place to start. :D A lot on here recommend Ian Rankin and so far the recommendations on here have been great so here we go, I watch it grow! ( I know bad rhyming :D)

Edited by Charm
typo

I like him - read Resurrection Men about a year ago and am reading Exit Music - Don't like the mob guy as a character - Cafferty - I'm fine until mob people are in books - and he's a main character so I'm fine a bit of the time. Cops and crime solving is good. And I like Shiv and Rebus. Maybe this book will change my feelings. I was reading The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow and got most of the way through but mob tactics are so - I don't know - cold, simple and organized - so character development is set aside somewhat.

I like him - read Resurrection Men about a year ago and am reading Exit Music - Don't like the mob guy as a character - Cafferty - I'm fine until mob people are in books - and he's a main character so I'm fine a bit of the time. Cops and crime solving is good. And I like Shiv and Rebus. Maybe this book will change my feelings. I was reading The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow and got most of the way through but mob tactics are so - I don't know - cold, simple and organized - so character development is set aside somewhat.

I've not read Resurrection man yet! but I will check it out!

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Cafferty's great. He is sometimes outrageously funny. There's a scene in one of ther later novels where him & Rebus are watching a politician speak. Cafferty comes out with an X rated putdown that had me in fits for hours. It involved the word

gam

if afficianados recall it.

They are all great - you know, I think the Rebus series & the Alex Delaware series by Jonathan Kellerman are the only series I've read where there wasn't at least one book that I didn't like, or wasn't fond of. They're all great!

I absolutely love the Rebus books. Amazing series, and I was lucky enough to read them from start to finish. Resurrection Men is amazing, as was Let it Bleed. I'm currently reading his non Rebus book, Doors Open and enjoying it so much!

I absolutely love the Rebus books. Amazing series, and I was lucky enough to read them from start to finish. Resurrection Men is amazing, as was Let it Bleed. I'm currently reading his non Rebus book, Doors Open and enjoying it so much!
I've met Ian in Glasgow and he's nice to talk too!

I too some of my books with me and he said "Wow you're a busy lady!" I had 3 books all hard backs and he signed all 3:mrgreen:

Cafferty's great. He is sometimes outrageously funny. There's a scene in one of ther later novels where him & Rebus are watching a politician speak. Cafferty comes out with an X rated putdown that had me in fits for hours. It involved the word

gam

if afficianados recall it.

Actually, in Exit Music, I'm starting to like him - thank goodness - I had all but given up on the organized folk - I had to put it down temporarily because something bothered me.

I'm reading Hide and Seek now (actually it's an audiobook) and I'm really enjoying it so far...actually stumbled across it by accident and I had seen the author recommended here.

I loved Hide and Seek, have tried any others by Patterson? Along Came the Spider is also great. :D

• 4 weeks later...