Do you ever read the last page before the end?

Simonsays

I was staying with my sister over Christmas and nortice that she's retained a habit from childhood that I could never understand. She'll always read the last page before she gets to the end. Says she can't help herself and that it's a bit like a eating the last chocolate biscuit in the cupboard because she knows it's there. :D

Anybody else suffer from this strange affliction?!!

Never! I might be tempted but I'll resist.

Though I must confess I did do it recently with The Kite Runner but I was like 10 pages from the end and I just couldnt bear the suspense anymore

when Amir found Hassan's son nearly dead I just HAD to know wether he would be alright :D

Edited by Chimera

But doesn't it spoil it for you?

I don't do it with every book but I have to try very hard sometimes to stop myself looking. I'm the same with everything. I can't wait for book endings, tv endings so I look at spoilers. I wish I didn't but I know that I have to know right now rather than waiting (if that makes sense :D)

I sometimes do this. I can't help myself. It's worse if I'm really into the book and I'm anxious about what's going to happen. I totally ruined Breaking Dawn. I flicked to the end page even before I'd started the book and saw the 'Vampire index' and saw some of the names on there. That was stupid.

:D

If there is a name for it, it should be Harry-itis (after Harry in When Harry Met Sally, as he makes a point of telling Sally he does this on their journey to New York when they first meet). I've occasionally been tempted, but I've never done it as I woudn't want to ruin the book for myself.

I never have. I have raced through to the end of a book, but not jumped to it.

I have never even thought to do it......

Oh No! Is this "Harry-itis", "Last-page-itis", "Last page syndrome" catching? - Will I now try to do it too? :D

I've been tempted if the book is taking an age to get through. But I pull my self up in time, otherwise, it's a waste of a book.

It's a bit like going to the cinema and you find the chap behind you is telling the plot/outcome to his mate sitting next to him (... "oh yes, this is the bit where he dies"....). Thanks pal:irked:

I do it all the time - though I don't read just the last page. Usually the entire last chapter, then I go back to the point where I was before I skipped ahead & continue on from there. It doesn't ruin the book for me, I love knowing what is going to happen, then trying to figure out how the author is going to get from the point I was at, to the end I've just read.

Guest radjack
I do it too. Was very tempted with the Book Thief coz i wanted to know

how Rudy died

WHOAH me too, exactly for the same thing! I'm glad I didn't do it though...