The Power of Simple Prayer by Joyce Meyer

Kate

As a newbie to the forum and at the risk of being controversial, I feel that I have to ask whether anyone else would agree that this post is in the wrong forum (non fiction).

Surely the assumption that this has some factual basis is, at best, a topic of contention since it assumes that the character god exists. This presumption also raises a far more fundamental 'hinderance' than whatever 13 are listed inside. If you're already of a religious bent I'm sure this will be of interest but if you are looking for answers can I suggest that you also read Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion" for balance.

As a newbie to the forum and at the risk of being controversial, I feel that I have to ask whether anyone else would agree that this post is in the wrong forum (non fiction).

I disagree completely Tintin. Religion being a question of personal faith doesn't make it any less 'non fiction' and 'non fiction' doesnt mean 'hard science' books. I am not religious but this book can interest those who are and it certainly isn't 'fiction': people pray everywhere in the world, the author hasnt invented that has she?

Think of philosophy books. You might not always agree with their vision of the world/ man, but would you classify them as fiction?

Tintin - I am sure you could say that about many text books, certainly any reigious ones, but the point of text books is not necessarily about hard facts. I have plenty of tect books and also plenty of christian books. I never class any of my christian books as fiction or non-fiction. If you wish to then I am sure you will find plenty of people on the net who will have a religious debate with you, but making such opinionated personal comments is not really the way is it?:D

Kate - My own prayer life used to be full and productive. It is true that prayer has answers and it certainly makes you feel better the more you do it (and the more people are involved). At that time in my life I was surrounding myself with prayer both on my own, and in various meetings through the week, but since I left uni and had the girls I am finding things like prayer and bible study difficult, so if a book can help get me back on track then I willl try it. I might seek this one out at some point. You have at least inspired me to look for something I can use. Do you think the book might help me pray with the children? I'm used to praying with other christians, but out of touch with praying with non-christians.

Tintin, the post is about a review of a book, it's not appropriate to start a religious discussion, especially one that questions the poster's beliefs.

My question was whether the post was in the correct forum since non fiction is defined as "the branch of literature comprising works of narrative prose dealing with or offering opinions or conjectures upon facts and reality"

Ok, it was a provocative response and would surely lead to a discussion but isn't that what a forum is for? :D There are many other threads where the subject material is debated in depth - why would this one be different?

My comments were directed at the content and were not a personal attack. Please do not think or suggest otherwise. Using that logic you could argue that the original post is equally responsible for starting a religious discussion which questions my beliefs.

Chimera, I guess it's really a question of how strictly you want to define fiction and non fiction.

Ice Cream, I don't have any other type of comment, on any subject, other than my personal opinion.

Perhaps I don't fit in here after all :D

This really isn't a debate I want to get into - my main point is that your discussion was about religion in general, and whether it provides 'answers'.. whereas Katie was simply reviewing a book about prayer.

Whether or not you feel you fit in here is something only you can decide, but I am not happy to see religious debates on here, mainly because they usually cause a lot of upset.

Michelle - Perhaps there is an opportunity here to split the Non-fiction forum into sections? I really like to read books about science, and always looking for recommendations, but they are a little hard to find as all non-fiction books are together, unlike the different genres for fiction. Would this be possible?

I'm not suggesting you go back and sort all previous posts, just from now onwards.

Just a thought.

Would a spirituality section on the main forum page not be a good solution ?? :D

I doubt there would be threads enough to sustain it. This is techically non-fiction, even without being fact. I don't see the problem in it being here, if people are going to get offended, stay out of the thread with 'prayer' in the title.

Surely the assumption that this has some factual basis is, at best, a topic of contention since it assumes that the character god exists. This presumption also raises a far more fundamental 'hinderance' than whatever 13 are listed inside. If you're already of a religious bent I'm sure this will be of interest but if you are looking for answers can I suggest that you also read Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion" for balance.

If an author thinks a book is non-fiction, it has to be defined as non-fiction, even if it's, say, deeply self-aggrandizing autobiography; or if it's Erich von Danicken; or whatever. There's nowhere else this stuff belongs.

Michelle - Perhaps there is an opportunity here to split the Non-fiction forum into sections? I really like to read books about science, and always looking for recommendations, but they are a little hard to find as all non-fiction books are together, unlike the different genres for fiction. Would this be possible?

Thank you for the thought, and it is something I will keep an eye on. My concerns at the moment are a) there's not a huge amount of posts in here yet to warrant splitting, and :D I think it would be difficult to decide on the actual sections. As I say though, I will monitor things.

I don't see the problem in it being here, if people are going to get offended, stay out of the thread with 'prayer' in the title.

I quite agree! :D

• 1 month later...
Would a spirituality section on the main forum page not be a good solution[?]

I doubt there would be threads enough to sustain it. This is techically non-fiction, even without being fact. I don't see the problem in it being here[...]

Thank you for the thought, and it is something I will keep an eye on. My concerns at the moment are a) there's not a huge amount of posts in here yet to warrant splitting, and :) I think it would be difficult to decide on the actual sections. As I say though, I will monitor things.

Cool thought. In the interest of helping you toward a decision, I have wanted to contribute my favorite books some classify as "spiritual," and I have wanted to hear others' opinions of them. And of course, there are some authors who write both "spiritual" books and then other genres, like C.S. Lewis writing widely-accepted fiction stories, and Randy Alcorn the same way. I've just avoided discussing those books and authors for fear of stepping on toes in an otherwise friendly environment.

Back to the topic started, thanks for the recommendation, KB. I have heard mixed sayings as to whether Ms. Meyer stays close to the Bible or not in her teachings, but this book sounds like it would be easier to discern right and wrong than her more popular The Battlefield of the Mind. Your suggestion of this simple book will be so helpful for many of us to get back on track to talking with God!:D