The Midnight Folk by John Masefield

Janet

002-2009-Jan-07-TheMidnightFolk.jpg

The ‘blurb’

Kay’s great-grandfather’s treasure is lost and the evil Abner Brown is after it. He has witches and dark magic to help him, but Kay has the very special Midnight Folk.

I bought the book of Box of Delights on a friend’s recommendation of the BBC’s 1980s TV adaptation and then discovered that this is a sort of prequel to it and although I believe they stand alone, I thought I’d like to read them in order.

This tells the story of Kay’s adventures to recover some treasure entrusted to his great-grandfather many years ago in order for him to return it to its rightful owner. Along the way, Kay encounters many talking animals, mermaids etc, who are all out to help him, but he has to get to the treasure before evil Abner Brown and the witches find it first.

Some of the portraits in Kay’s house come alive and talk to him. Hmmm, I wonder where I’ve read of something like this more recently…! :D

The story was great, if a little long-winded. I found the writing to be beautiful but the story is written as one continuous piece with no chapters and very few stopping points which made it feel a little disjointed as one has to stop mid-action to take a break.

This edition is illustrated by the wonderful Quentin Blake - it’s an absolutely beautiful book - I’m looking forward to moving on to Box of Delights now.

The paperback is 299 pages long and is published by Egmont. The ISBN number is 978-1405232548.

Edited by Janet