Beth's Bookshelf 2009

bethany725

Thanks, Ben!

It's sort of ironic that it's the best book I've read since I've started reviewing them on BCF, and it got the shortest review -- There's honestly just too much I could say about it, so I kept it short and sweet and hope it conveys how much I loved reading this story.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah you've got the right idea. It's possible that we could write pages on that book. :D Yours was good though, it certainly put across your enjoyment like you intended.

Mini review of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I almost hesitate to write a mini review of this book, because I know that I can't do it justice. This story drew me in from the very first pages and never let me go. It sounds dramatic, but I found it THAT good, plain and simple.

I know exactly what you mean - sometimes its the hardest to write a review about the books you loved the most. And this would certainly be one of them.

Currently reading

The Other Side of the Story - Marian Keyes

Life Support - Tess Gerristen

The Surgeon - Tess Gerritsen

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

The Haunted Bookshop - Christopher Morley

I have Marian Keyes - the other side of the story, was funny, didn't finish it though. Have Memoirs of a Geisha too, didn't finish that either. I shall have to re-try both some time. Hope you enjoy them both.

Tess Gerritsen - yay, glad you plan on reading them, I advise you read the Jane Rizzoli/ Maura Isles series in order to get the most from them. :D

I hadn't heard of The Haunted Bookshop till just now, It sounds good (looked on amazon) will have to add it to my long wishlist :blush:

You have some great books to read! :D

Well it's certainly nudged me that much more towards it :D I have to get a hold of this book!

Do, please, get hold of this book. I, along with what would seem to be everyone else, loved it. Very easy to read, very difficult to put down. It even made me a little teary. It's not often a book can do that to an emotionally stunted Neanderthal like myself, I can tell you!:blush:

Do, please, get hold of this book. I, along with what would seem to be everyone else, loved it. Very easy to read, very difficult to put down. It even made me a little teary. It's not often a book can do that to an emotionally stunted Neanderthal like myself, I can tell you!:D

:blush: I know, it's the type of book which seems to creep up everywhere on the forum, which must mean something! I guess what's been keeping me back (besides needing to buy it) is the narrator being death... That just sounds like a very creepy idea *shudders*

:D I know, it's the type of book which seems to creep up everywhere on the forum, which must mean something! I guess what's been keeping me back (besides needing to buy it) is the narrator being death... That just sounds like a very creepy idea *shudders*

Ah, well, yes. It's not at all creepy though. Wonderful, is what it is. I very much enjoyed a book called 'I, Lucifer' by a chap named Glen Duncan. Excellent author, although one needs to be fairly open minded about certain scenes. It's narrated by Old Nick himself. Other books of his have also been superb, but disturbing. One of them, 'Weathercock', I almost put down after thinking I couldn't read any further, it was that disturbing! However, at that very point, the plot turned, the characters shifted and the awareness the author has of his readers made me truly respect him. Try him. He's very good. Maybe start with 'Death Of An Ordinary Man'. :blush:

Yeah you've got the right idea. It's possible that we could write pages on that book. :blush: Yours was good though, it certainly put across your enjoyment like you intended.

Thank you, Ben :D

I know exactly what you mean - sometimes its the hardest to write a review about the books you loved the most. And this would certainly be one of them.

Seriously.. what a challenge! I couldn't even think of anything besides "What a story...."

I have Marian Keyes - the other side of the story, was funny, didn't finish it though. Have Memoirs of a Geisha too, didn't finish that either. I shall have to re-try both some time. Hope you enjoy them both.

Oh no.. you didn't finish either? I'm in for it... :D:D

:) I know, it's the type of book which seems to creep up everywhere on the forum, which must mean something! I guess what's been keeping me back (besides needing to buy it) is the narrator being death... That just sounds like a very creepy idea *shudders*

I agree I thought this a bit creepy.. but also intriguing enough for me to give it a try. You'll be happy to hear that through most bits of the book, I actually forgot it was narrated by Death. Very seldom was I reminded, and then, not in a creepy way. It's the most non-creepy "death narrated" book I can imagine. :(

Ah, well, yes. It's not at all creepy though. Wonderful, is what it is.

I agree I thought this a bit creepy.. but also intriguing enough for me to give it a try. You'll be happy to hear that through most bits of the book, I actually forgot it was narrated by Death. Very seldom was I reminded, and then, not in a creepy way. It's the most non-creepy "death narrated" book I can imagine. :D

Ok then, I'll start with this one when I get my hands on it and see if I want to take it further in the 'narrated by death' theme *laughs*

The Book Thief sounds incredible. Absolutely everyone seems to love it. It is on my 'books to buy' list, I may have to lash out and order it on Amazon. Can you believe I could not find a store in Brisbane that had it in stock?

I CAN believe it, because I'm telling everyone I know to run out and buy a copy.. Surely people in Australia are doing the same thing? :D

You should suck it up and order it.. it's worth it. :blush:

Hi Beth, glad you enjoyed The Book Thief so much! I guess I should perservere with it, then? I am only about 80 pages in, but I am sooooooo bored with it, or was, I guess because I stopped reading it in favour of other books (I have since read 3 other books) & really can't seem to find the energy to go back to this. You said it had you gripped from the start - can I ask why?

:D Ceinwenn, You're bored!! .. I'm so sorry my review and ravings must be totally confusing to you! To be fair, I will say the first um.. 5 pages for me was kind of strange, but after that, I was completely sucked in. By the time Liesel was being brought to her foster home, I was a sucker for the story. I loved the book so much that I want to urge you and beg you and cry at your feet to continue (jk.. i'm not THAT dramatic :blush: reading, but I honestly don't know if you'll start to love it if you're literally bored after 80 pages?? I'd hate to coerce you to keep going, only to have you still be bored and waste any more of your reading time..

I wish I knew if other readers loved it from the start, or if a huge leaf was turned over around page 100 or something ???

I loved it from the start. Death is a great character. There was a point maybe 150 pages in I thought it might be starting to get a little tedious but after that it picked up again and I loved it.

I Have read The Book Thief and I seem to be the only one who did not like the book.

You're the only person so far that I've seen say they didn't like it. What did you not like about it?

I didn't like the way it was written with Death appearing all the time the story on its on was good but all this bold writing popping up all the time put me off and some time I lost my place and had to reread to get to the place that I was at but then maybe I am the odd one out. Who knows?

Ohh I loved the bolded bits! Sometimes those bits were so funny, but I can see how some readers may view them as an interruption in the story. And I thought Death was sometimes funny, sometimes wise, sometimes sardonic.. I really liked it. :) Different things for different readers, as always! :roll: