Beth's Bookshelf 2009

bethany725

This is a great review, Bethany. You empty your mind the same way I do. I like this thread. :lol:

Aww, thanks, Mac! It makes me feel better about literally opening my head and dumping it all in a heap on this thread. :lol: Good to know there are others who go about it just the same way!

I was interested to read your review of Wedding Season, Beth. The bigger problem for me, was that the characters attitudes and situations felt so dated, more like early chick-lit novels I read, not the latest ones out now. In fact, if you'd told me it was set in the early 1990's and was written in then, I'd have been more generous towards it. I don't think Katie Fforde has matured in her writing at all, and unlike other chick-lit authors who've allowed their characters to grow up and their writing to develop over the years, she seems to be stuck writing twenty something rom-com, but she's out of touch with that social group.

EXACTLY. EXACTLY. And EXACTLY! That's totally it.. It feels like the old days when chick-lit was barely making it on the boards. You are so right.

I so nearly picked Anita Shreve one up for my sis birthday (just so I could have read it) maybe I still will get it.

I'd say still pick it up and give it a try.. Especially if you've read any Shreve and liked her. She wrote one of my favorite stories ever ("Fortune's Rocks") but the last 2 books of hers I read just haven't done it for me. I'm chalking it up to a "It's not you, it's me" thing.. I really do think it's just me! :blush:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that was a killer review of 'Testimony' Beth. I remember having several of those feelings myself after reading it. I really enjoyed it, but like you one or two aspects frustrated me a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

No real review on either of these, just some quick thoughts for update. :D

LOVED "The House at Riverton" and have now put Kate Morton's other book, "The Forgotten Garden," on my TBR/wish list. This book was so haunting, and I literally closed the book and sighed, wishing I still had more to read of it.

Also enjoyed "Blue Diary" by Alice Hoffman, but I felt a bit unsettled after reading it.. Not quite the impactful ending I was hoping for. The ending provided left me feeling sort of like a feather, floating along in the wind, aimless and lacking something to weigh it down. (Geez.. crazy-sounding metaphor much?? I SWEAR I haven't lost my mind over here. :D) I'm sure some found the ending quite fitting, and some may have felt just as I did.. To each their own, but still a good book overall. :lol:

It was really good. :irked: Let me know if you get your hands on it!

I'm about to start reading another book by Morton, "The Forgotten Garden," next.

I've read that one Beth - I really, really enjoyed it. I live in Brisbane, where part of the book is set.

• 1 month later...

Ok catching up after the move! Unfortunately not a lot of reading has taken place over the past month since it was so crazy, but we are settled in and I've been able to resume a bit of reading. :lol:

First off, I had to leave "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton back in Hong Kong-- I just didn't have the time to really start it, and I'd borrowed it from a friend, so I left it behind. I DO plan to get it again soon, though.. It was great from the little bit I actually got to read.

I did get to get the 2nd in the Luxe series by Anna Godbersen, and made my way through it over the past week. :hug:

Mini Review of Rumors by Anna Godbersen

Synopsis: *I'm spoiler-tagging it because even though it's from the back of the book, it does give away some bits from the first book.*

After bidding good-bye to New York's brightest star, Elizabeth Holland, rumors continue to fly about her untimely demise.

All eyes are on those closest to the dearly departed: her mischievous sister, Diana, now the family's only hope for redemption; New York's most notorious cad, Henry Schoon-maker, the flame Elizabeth never extinguished; the seductive Penelope Hayes, poised to claim all that her best friend left behind