Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2009

Kylie

OK, so here is the complete listing of books I bought at the bookfair a while back (I've already posted them in the book activity thread):

Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Douglas Adams: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Douglas Adams: Life, the Universe and Everything

Douglas Adams: So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

Douglas Adams: Mostly Harmless

Douglas Adams: The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Mitch Albom: Tuesdays with Morrie

Brian Aldiss (ed): The Penguin Science Fiction Omnibus

JG Ballard: The Drowned World

Greg Bear: Eon

Geoffrey Blainey: A Short History of the World

Judy Blume: Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret

T Boardman (ed): Connoisseur's Science Fiction

Gyles Brandreth: Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders

Dan Brown: Deception Point

John Brunner: The Stone that Never Came Down

John Brunner: Traveller in Black

Anthony Burgess: The Wanting Seed

Michael Chabon: Summerland

Ann Charters: The Portable Sixties Reader

Arthur C Clarke: The Hammer of God

William Corlett: The Door in the Tree

Michael Crichton: Jurassic Park

Philip K Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Mark Dunn: Ella Minnow Pea

Janet Evanovich: Three to Get Deadly

Janet Evanovich: Four to Score

Janet Evanovich: High Five

Janet Evanovich: Hot Six

Janet Evanovich: Seven Up

Raymond E Feist: Magician

Glen David Gold: Carter Beats the Devil

Graham Greene: A Burnt-Out Case

Ursula Le Guin: The Earthsea Cycle (first three books)

Joe Haldeman: The Forever War

Joanne Harris: Chocolat

Thomas Harris: The Silence of the Lambs

Harry Harrision: four books in the Stainless Steel Rat series

Harry Harrison: Two Tales and Eight Tomorrows

Robert Heinlein: Stranger in a Strange Land

Joseph Heller: Something Happened

Khaled Hosseini: The Kite Runner

Michel Houellebecq: Atomised

John Irving: A Prayer for Owen Meany

Kazuo Ishiguro: An Artist of the Floating World

Kazuo Ishiguro: The Remains of the Day

MR James: The Haunted Doll's House

Diana Wynne Jones: Howl's Moving Castle

Lloyd Jones: Mister Pip

Judith Kerr: When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit

Sue Monk Kidd: The Mermaid Chair

Sue Monk Kidd: The Secret Life of Bees

Elizabeth Kostova: The Historian

Nicola Kraus and Emma McLaughlin: The Nanny Diaries

Milan Kundera: The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Hugh Laurie: The Gun Seller

Stanislaw Lem: The Cyberiad

CS Lewis: Out of the Silent Planet

CS Lewis: That Hideous Strength (replacement copy)

Lois Lowry: Gathering Blue

David Malouf: The Conversations at Curlow Creek

Melina Marchetta: Finnikin of the Rock

David Mitchell: Ghostwritten

Haruki Murakami: A Wild Sheep Chase

Mary Norton: Bedknob and Broomstick

Mack Reynolds: Towers of Utopia

Terry Pratchett: The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents

Terry Pratchett: The Carpet People

Terry Pratchett: The Dark Side of the Sun

Terry Pratchett: The Bromeliad Trilogy: Diggers

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #5 - Sourcery

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #7 - Pyramids

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #10 - Moving Pictures

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #19 - Feet of Clay

Philip Pullman: The Subtle Knife

Arturo Perez-Reverte: The Club Dumas

Anne Rice: Interview with the Vampire

JK Rowling: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

JK Rowling: Quidditch through the Ages

Arundhati Roy: The God of Small Things

Shel Silverstein: Falling Up

Alexander McCall Smith: 44 Scotland Street #2 - Espresso Tales

Alexander McCall Smith: No 1 Ladies #2 - Tears of the Giraffe

Alexander McCall Smith: No 1 Ladies #5 - The Full Cupboard of Life

Alexander McCall Smith: Portugese Irregular Verbs

Alexander McCall Smith: Sunday Philosophy Club #1

Alexander McCall Smith: Sunday Philosophy Club #2 - Friends, Lovers, Chocolate

Alexander McCall Smith: Sunday Philosophy Club #The Right Attitude to Rain

Zadie Smith: White Teeth

Alexander Solzhenitsyn: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

John Steinbeck: The Long Valley

John Steinbeck: The Moon is Down

Hunter S Thompson: The Great Shark Hunt

John Updike: The Witches of Eastwick

HG Wells: Selected Short Stories

Scott Westerfeld: The Last Days

Gene Wolfe: The Fifth Head of Cerberus

John Wyndham: Trouble with Lichen

I also bought a couple of reference books of Van Gogh's artwork.

And some other recent additions:

Emily Bronte: Wuthering Heights

William Corlett: The Steps Up the Chimney

William Corlett: The Tunnel Behind the Waterfall

Jeffrey Eugenides: The Virgin Suicides

John Fowles: The Collector

Raven Hart: The Vampire's Seduction

Stanislaw Lem: Memoirs Found in a Bathtub

Nancy Turner: The Star Garden

Gene Wilder: My French 'lady of the night'

And I have another large stack of books on the way from the US and UK. :D

Edited by Kylie

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll manage...eventually! I had to rearrange all of my bookshelves to fit them in and I'm currently offloading DVDs on ebay so I have more room.

As for my TBR pile, I think it stands at over 550 and I have quite a few more on the way so it will soon be more like 600. That's quite a few years' worth of reading for me! :P

My thoughts on recent reads:

Enduring Love by Ian McEwan

Quite an enjoyable read. I like McEwan's writing style and the flawed characters seemed very real. It was also pretty disturbing. I hope I never find myself in the position of the main character! 8/10

I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

I loved the ideas in these stories and they gave me food for thought, but I didn't like the characters one little bit. Their personalities and interactions with each other seemed over the top and completely implausible most of the time, so I found it frustrating to read. Luckily Asimov's ideas are so great that I was still able to rate it 8/10.

My French 'lady of the night' by Gene Wilder

A short, light read and fairly amusing in places. The story follows a soldier who is captured by the Germans and pretends to be an infamous German spy, thereby saving his life and fooling many people. An implausible story, sure, but it's not meant to be serious and I could definitely 'hear' Gene Wilder's voice throughout (perhaps that's because I've also read his autobiography). 7/10

Edited by Kylie

More thoughts on recent reads:

The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse

This was on my TBR pile for several years and I was quite intimidated by it for some reason. The introduction was a bit of a slog to get through, but once read, the story flowed fairly smoothly and I enjoyed the journey to the end, despite accidentally spoiling it for myself beforehand by reading it online. :) There are also about 100 pages worth of fictional writings by the main character right at the end, which I had to force my way through a bit. Not that the writings weren't interesting, but I felt as though I'd already finished the book and was ready to put it aside.

The story is set a few centuries in the future and is based on an order of men (hmph, women barely feature in this book) who centre their lives on the mind, and pretty much ignore the outside world. The Glass Bead Game is an intellectual game played by an elite group within the order. Interestingly, despite lots of talk of the game throughout the book and how it is played, I still have no idea of what it's really about. And this isn't just me; I believe most, if not all, people who read it are no nearer to understanding it by the end. I guess it was meant to be that way.

Because of the nature of the book, it's really difficult to write a review about it. It's just an interesting journey through the life and mind of one man. Very philosophical and intellectual, if you're into that sort of thing. It's not a light read by any means, but it's an interesting one, and I'm glad I finally read it.

7/10

Hmm, having just written a review, I've realised that this book may have stayed with me more than I realised. Perhaps I've been a little unfair with the rating; I'll have to revisit it a bit later.

Edited by Kylie

Meet Mr Mulliner by PG Wodehouse

I did indeed enjoy meeting Mr Mulliner, another lovable creation of Wodehouse's. There's not much for me to add to my thoughts on Wodehouse because I've said it all before. He's wonderful and his books are wonderful. If you've never read Wodehouse and you're looking for a light-hearted book to make you laugh (or at least smile) out loud, please give him a try! 8/10

Deathworld 2 by Harry Harrison

Being set on a completely different planet, the book is, of course, quite different to the first one, and poses a whole other set of problems for the main character, Jason DinAlt. He has been kidnapped by a religious nutter in order to stand trial on another planet. In the course of going there, Jason manages to crash the ship onto a planet of savage humans, where he spends the rest of the book improving their technology (which they have lost the knowledge of over time) and trying to escape. Not a bad little read. 7/10

I'm currently reading Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich and am planning to read one of Edgar Allan Poe's short stories in the next few days in honour of Halloween.

What I have learnt today:

BCF posts can contain a maximum of 10,000 characters. How did I learn this? I was updating my list of books bought in 2009, and I have bought so many that I can't fit them in one post anymore. :D That's 236 books, with another 14 on the way, bringing me to a nice round number of 250 books. :) What do you think my chances are of stopping there?

ETA: actually, I just realised I left 2 books off that list, so the total will be 252. No point stopping then until I reach 260. :)

Edited by Kylie

It is literally mental how many books you buy. I remember thinking at the start of the year that I had a bit of a problem with how many books I was buying but you just take it to a totally different level.

:D I thought that post might get a response from you.

Actually, that number is a little startling. The longer I look at it the more frightening it gets. *looks away*

I've recently set up a spreadsheet for the books on my wishlist, with prices from various online sources listed in various currencies, with formulas to tell me when I should order books that are cheapest. :) I'm such a nerd.

It doesn't help (or should I say that it helps a lot) that the Aussie dollar is doing so well at the moment. I have to buy while the going is good!

:D I thought that post might get a response from you.

Actually, that number is a little startling. The longer I look at it the more frightening it gets. *looks away*

I've recently set up a spreadsheet for the books on my wishlist, with prices from various online sources listed in various currencies, with formulas to tell me when I should order books that are cheapest. :)I'm such a nerd.

It doesn't help (or should I say that it helps a lot) that the Aussie dollar is doing so well at the moment. I have to buy while the going is good!

Hahaha. I gotta tell you Kylie that is pretty damn nerd-like.

Thanks for giving it to me straight, Dan. :D I knew I would cop some flak for admitting it.

I just finished fixing it up. It looks good now, if I do say so myself. :)

I've no doubt that it is a very exhaustive, comprehensive and well put together list Kylie.

I've recently set up a spreadsheet for the books on my wishlist, with prices from various online sources listed in various currencies, with formulas to tell me when I should order books that are cheapest. I'm such a nerd.
Am I made even more of a nerd by the fact that your level of organisation moves me as beautiful?

• 2 weeks later...

Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich

Another nice, light quick read. Follows the same sort of formula, which is what I was expecting. A good 'between books' type of book. 8/10

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

My partner introduced me to the movie a few months ago and I really enjoyed it, so I thought I'd pick up the book and see if it was any good. I found that it really corresponded to the movie very well - one of the better movie adaptations I think I've ever seen. I enjoyed Palahniuk's style of writing, although I can imagine it wouldn't be to everyone's liking. I'm looking forward to reading more by Palahniuk in future. 9/10

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

In the last few years I've started reading some of the classic children's literature which passed me by as a child (I was too engrossed in The Baby-Sitters Club to notice anything else). I've found that while most of it is enjoyable, there have been a lot of times where I really wished I had read the book as a child, because I would have gotten more out of it.

Happily, this isn't the case with The Phantom Tollbooth. If anything, I'm more glad to read it as an adult because I think a lot would have gone over my head as a child.

I found this book simply delightful in every way. The characters are well-drawn, the plot thumps along and the worlds and characters that Milo encounters along his journey are marvellous. It's full of wonderful puns and jokes (there is an island called 'Conclusions', and you can only get there by jumping :D).

The illustrations by Jules Feiffer are lovely and I know that this is a book I'll treasure for many years to come. I finished the book with a sigh and a smile on my face (it has a lovely ending, of course!) and thought to myself 'this is why I read' - for the rare opportunity of finding such a gem amongst all the rest. Needless to say, it has become an immediate favourite of mine. 10/10

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been going through my various lists and checking how much I've read so far this year (69, including 3 re-reads).

This is by far the highest number of books I've read in a year. Granted, I've read a lot of young adult books and short reads, but there have also been some big ones.

With Christmas coming up, December is always a busy month and I don't want to weigh myself down with chunky reads for the holiday season. I want to devote December to watching holiday movies instead. :D

To that end, I'm dedicating December to fluff reading. This will free up time for movies and it's also a frantic effort to decrease my TBR pile a little.

I've decided to put together a list of 20 books from my TBR pile of books that I'd like to get through (I suppose this is a bit of a mini-challenge):

Graeme Base: The Eleventh Hour

Judy Bernard-Waite: The Riddle of the Trumpalar

Arthur C Clarke: Childhood's End

Janet Evanovich: Four to Score

Charlaine Harris: Dead Until Dark (I should probably wait until next year to start this series!)

Harry Harrison: Deathworld 3

Shirley Hughes: Here Comes Charlie Moon

Kathryn Kenny: a Trixie Belden book or two

CS Lewis: The Silver Chair

AA Milne: The House at Pooh Corner

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #3 - Equal Rites

JK Rowling: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

JK Rowling: Quidditch through the Ages

Alexander McCall Smith: The Kalahari Typing School for Men

Muriel Spark: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

John Marsden: The Great Gatenby

PG Wodehouse: Right Ho, Jeeves

PG Wodehouse: Something Fresh

John Wyndham: Chocky

Edited by Kylie

This is by far the highest number of books I've read in a year. Granted, I've read a lot of young adult books and short reads, but there have also been some big ones.

Good job Kylie! :D :D If I remember correctly, were you the one who planned on reading at least 52 books this year? If so, you've exceeded your plans :D

With Christmas coming up, December is always a busy month and I don't want to weigh myself down with chunky reads for the holiday season. I want to devote December to watching holiday movies instead. :D

To that end, I'm dedicating December to fluff reading. This will free up time for movies and it's also a frantic effort to decrease my TBR pile a little.

I think that's an excellent idea, fluff reading! I'd actually planned on doing something like that myself. Maybe a bit of rereading old favorites as well. To get into a comfy mood for Christmas. I took a look at your list of books you'd like to get through but I have to say, most of the titles are unfamiliar to me. Well I do recognise Charlaine Harris of course, and good ole P. G. Woodhouse! :guess:

I hope you have lots of fun with your mini-challenge and a very nice end to a very good book year :D

Edited by frankie

Yay well done! :D

There are some good reads in that list - and some I would like to read. I look forward to seeing what you think to Winnie the Pooh and Judy Blume (I loved her books when I was younger). Equal Rites is a good book and I love the Narnia books

I quite fancy this one. I picked it up in a charity shop at the start of the year but put it back. I look forward to hearing your views on it. :D

AA Milne: The House at Pooh Corner

Awww one of my favourite childhood reads. Enjoy. :D

If I remember correctly, were you the one who planned on reading at least 52 books this year? If so, you've exceeded your plans :D

Yep, that was me! :D

I think that's an excellent idea, fluff reading! I'd actually planned on doing something like that myself. Maybe a bit of rereading old favorites as well. To get into a comfy mood for Christmas.

I hope you have lots of fun with your mini-challenge and a very nice end to a very good book year

Thanks Frankie. Speaking of Christmas, I can't believe I forgot to add Dickens' A Christmas Carol. It's compulsory December reading for me!

Yay well done! :D

There are some good reads in that list - and some I would like to read. I look forward to seeing what you think to Winnie the Pooh and Judy Blume (I loved her books when I was younger). Equal Rites is a good book and I love the Narnia books

Thanks Kate! It looks like you've had a really good reading year as well. Especially where Mr Pratchett is concerned! I'm jealous. :exc:

I quite fancy this one. I picked it up in a charity shop at the start of the year but put it back. I look forward to hearing your views on it. :(

Awww one of my favourite childhood reads. Enjoy.

I'm sure I'll enjoy both. I'll let you know how I get on, thanks. :)

Thanks Frankie. Speaking of Christmas, I can't believe I forgot to add Dickens' A Christmas Carol. It's compulsory December reading for me!

And me. :D I've bought a new version with the other Christmas stories in which I haven't read yet for this year.