Louise's Books for 2009.

Louiseog

I had never thought about what it would be like not to be able to read, the thought of reading and rereading the Bible was quite thought provoking,

True... it seemed sad and at the same time strange. I mean, what would the enticement for that be? The first few times of course there is a lot to be learnt and even enjoyed. But then? Reading just for the sake of reading? No matter that you know the book by heart? I can understand it for someone who has always read and suddenly finds himself with only one book available (in a captive situation...). But not even imagining that there might be other books, and yet reading over and over the one book available?

then it was wonderful that the books were opening their minds but suddenly it wasn't and did they really need to have their ancient way of life 'spoilt' by books or was it that it was the wrong sort of books and the people who ran the book mobile were just misguided rather than cruel.

Exactly! There's so much to think about and so many ways one can go... (unfortunately) no straight answer.

I am off to your thread to get people to join the book ring as it really made me think!

Thanks!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
How is that? As good as the rest?

Yes in fact I think its getting better, Cross Bones was the worst and they have just got better for me

On holiday I read:

Sarah Rayne Tower of Silence - spooky and clever will read more

Karin Slaughter Martin Misunderstood - very clever

Lee Weeks The Trophy Taker - thriller about a serial killer, again first in a series and would read more

Lady's Night at Finbar's Hotel - lots of different female Irish authors writing different stories about the same hotel, very clever and well crafted

Stuart Pawson The Mushroom Man - second in a series I read the first a few weeks ago, really liked it, love the characters

Lloyd Jones The Book of Fame - by the author of Mr Pip, about the All Black Rugby Tour in 1905, beautifully written, poetic at times and about RUGBY! Very special but glad I read it when I had time to appreciate it!

James McGee The Ratcatcher - I am a history teacher, my Year 8s (12-13 year olds) are doing a project about horrid jobs (factories in the 19th century) and I told them I would read this to find out what it was like to be a ratcatcher, but it was about the Bow Street Runners so no good, but liked the story, sort of Sharpe (on the telly) but after he'd finished. Will find out more probably

Helen Garner The Spare Room 3 in a 3 for 2 in Kendal Waterstones - very interesting Australian take on terminal illness woman lets her old old friend stay in her house while taking an alternative cure for cancer, very sharp view of what it could have been like, not noble or kind just them falling out and feeling angry, refreshing somehow.

Susanna Gregory The Westminster Poisoner - Thomas Chaloner number 3. I like this series about a Restoration law keeper, will read more!

I like holidays and I bought loads more!

Oh Louise - you read far more than me on holiday!! Have you read the other books by James Mc Gee? I think that they are very good

I'm also reading The Westminster Poisoner at the moment!

I think I will read more McGee.

Westminster was good, I think this series is improving

Suffer the Children - Adam Creed Librarything review which I enjoyed, quite gritty police story and a horrible theme but I liked the characters and would be interested in seeing how they develop. A bit like Messiah by Boris Starling for me.

Good grief! You're reading almost one a day! I must have special needs - which means that at work it's like the blind leading the blind (mind you, my colleagues would have told you this years ago!) :)

Good grief! You're reading almost one a day! I must have special needs - which means that at work it's like the blind leading the blind (mind you, my colleagues would have told you this years ago!) :)

I do read very fast, ask me to remember the characters' names though and I am stumped!!!

You have made me smile

Wendy Holden Azur Like it, good fun

Patricia Cornwell The Front, no Scarpetta who I don't like any more and better

Titania Hardie, The Rose Labyrinth, a great start!

Not sure about this, should have loved it but somehow the twiddley bits with the labyrinth and the clues got me confused, I got most of the twists and there were far too many of them and the characters and dialogue were really stilted.

A shame because it was a great idea but just not well enough written for me

This one is on mount TBR - sounds like I will have to tackle it whilst on holiday when I'm not so tired!!

Good plan!

Cross Country James Patterson, vintage Cross, ace

A Man lay Dead Ngaio Marsh enjoyable detective story

Something Borrowed Paul Magrs second in Brenda series, loved the first

• 2 months later...