Kate's 2009 Reading

Kate

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yowzer your list is epic. I watched The Reader yesterday so you'll have to let me know how the book is. I hadn't even realised it was a book (or heard of the movie in all fairness) until yesterday haha!

Also, I really like how you've put it all together on that webpage. It looks like a good idea to review as you go so everyone, including you, can read back on it. You may have inspired me to follow in your lead!

x

Edited by Natty

It has two names because they altered the title in the US lol. Anyways, the series was good :) i have all of them and will read them after I have finished re-reading my Nicholas Sparks collection.

Really? What else is it known as?

How the hell do I join this bookring? I wanna join it! I wanna join it!

:D

I'm glad you've joined...however I hope we haven't got your hopes up too much! :D

57) Thursdays at Eight by Debbie Macomber

9/10

TBR: 61 (I know, it isn't going down, thats because new books arrive as quickly as I read them!)

And it is still going up Mac...this is just terrible, what am I to do?! ;)

59. Gumdrop on the Brighton Run by Val Biro

Not written a review but a great children's book

60. Old Court Vol. 1 by William H. Ainsworth

10/10

TBR: 63

Poppyland by Raffaella Barker

Synopsis from Amazon:

POPPYLAND is a love story. It is about two people who fall for each other through a series of coincidences.

Ryder James meets Grace Hart the night her exhibition of paintings opens in Copenhagen. Both of them are loners, damaged by tragedy in their lives, both sceptical about love. But they have a connection that can't be broken, which takes them from their separate lives to Norfolk, where they both end up at the same time, bound together by a family event that neither of them knew the other was connected with.

Romantic, absorbing and quixotic, this love story for difficult people is a testament to the power of attraction. It's about the sea and land, about the past and how it shapes our futures, about how we find the right person to be with - a truly universal story.

I'm sad to say I didn't finish this book. The more I read, the more I lost interest. I felt there was too much sex and too much reminising about drugs. I got just under half way through, and Ryder and Grace had only met once and had not returned to Norfolk. It made the story drag out. I felt that Barker was repeating herself a lot too - she kept telling us how Grace wanted out and how Ryder didn't want to live in Norfolk. I didn't even get to the love story bit - it took too long getting there and my attention was lost.

I'll avoid this one like the proverbial, then. It's always a bit of a bummer when you can't finish a book because it's so boring, though, isn't it!

Hope you're well. :)

I've got Brighton Rock on my TBR pile (said 'pile' is approximately the size of Mount Olympus, mind).

Do you think I'd like it and, if so, shall I read it next so we can compare notes?

:D

My word Kate, look at you go. I've not checked this for a while - not been online because of exams and whatnot - but I still see your showing no signs of stopping. 73. Wow, that's already double what I've managed. And do I see a slight decrease in the TBR pile. Aha, don't look now. :D

• 2 weeks later...