Lynda La Plante

Guest jake

Anyone else read Lynda La Plante? Dawned on me today whilst browsing the 'crime' shelf that she is another author I have read all of her books. Bella Mafia is my favourite.

I read one - I think it was called Cold Heart or something like that. It was years ago. I enjoyed it, but not enough to make me want to go on to read the rest of hers.

Anyone else read Lynda La Plante? Dawned on me today whilst browsing the 'crime' shelf that she is another author I have read all of her books. Bella Mafia is my favourite.

Have that book. Read it ages ago. Have forgotten the story!

Ages for me too Maureen. About the men in a mafia family getting murdered and the women of the family set out to claim their due.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

For some reason she's an author who's books I have never read. Not really sure why.

I recently saw a TV adaptation of 'Under Suspicion' which I thought was really good so have bought 'The Red Dahlia' as it supposedly has the same characters in and I missed the recent episodes on ITV.

Has anybody read this?! Any good?!

For some reason she's an author who's books I have never read. Not really sure why.

I recently saw a TV adaptation of 'Under Suspicion' which I thought was really good so have bought 'The Red Dahlia' as it supposedly has the same characters in and I missed the recent episodes on ITV.

Has anybody read this?! Any good?!

I read it last summer. I really enjoyed it. TV version was ok, but they don't have the time to go into the same detail.

The next novel Cut Above is also a corker. I read it in one sitting.

I've read them out of sequence but they stand alone ok.

Hope you enjoy it.

I read it last summer. I really enjoyed it. TV version was ok, but they don't have the time to go into the same detail.

The next novel Cut Above is also a corker. I read it in one sitting.

I've read them out of sequence but they stand alone ok.

Hope you enjoy it.

Oh that's great thanks very much!

I tend to avoid watching TV versions of books as I usually find them so disappointing. I agree that they do tend to miss out a lot of what you read as it's just not possible to igo nto that much detail.

I would have probably liked to have read 'Under Suspicion' but I didn't even realise it was based on a Lynda La Plante book. :console:

My sister reads her books a lot, I was thinking of trying them out. Any ideas on which would be the best for a first timer?

I've not read any of hers either but after watching 'Under Suspicion' without realising it was based on one of her books and quite liking it, I've decided to read the next one in this particular series 'The Red Dahlia' (once it arrives from Amazon!)

:)

You will have to tell me how the book is.:D

I sure will!

I'm picking it up at post office tomorrow so will start reading asap. I've been waiting for it all week and had I know it was too flipping big to fit through my letterbox I'd would have had it delivered to work and started it last night!!

Started this on Saturday and it's really good so far!

The only thing I wish I hadn't done though was to stay up reading it into the early hours and then trying to sleep. I woke up after having a nightmare about it and was too scared to attempt anymore sleep as my boyfriend was away for the night! Even the dog sleeping at the end of the bed wasn't helping!

Well I finished 'The Red Dahlia' last night and I have to say that I was very impressed with it!

Some of the storyline was a bit grim but overall I enjoyed it. Have managed to get a copy of 'Clean Cut' at the library so will be starting that tomorrow. Hopefully that will be just as good!

Looking forward to reading the next ones in the Anna Travis series.

I have put The Red Dahlia in my Amazon basket. Do I have to know anything about the book before this one to read it?

It's part of a series featuring DC Anna Travis, so you're maybe best off starting with 'Under Suspicion' - the only reason I didn't read it was that I'd seen it on TV!

I think the full series is:-

1) Under Suspicion

2) The Red Dahlia

3) Clean Cut

4) Deadly Intent

5) Silent Scream

I'm personally really looking forward to reading the rest now!

I've read the first three, and couldn't put them down.

Ironing on hold....late with the tea.....couldn't put them down.

I see someone mentioned the Trial and Retribution novels. I've read most of those too, I think I remember (memory worsening by the hour), that Lynda La Plante wrote and produced the TV series, but the novels were written by one of her team.

They're still good, but felt a bit watered down to me.

I imagine that will be the case for me - just picked up Clean Cut from the library this morning along with The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen so I'll be busy reading all weekend!