Book Covers That Really Suit A Book

Nellie

I know we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover and all that, but when I was reading Roxis's post about which versions of a book to buy based on the cover, it got me thinking. Are there book jackets that are so well designed, they really sum up the book for you?

For me, the Everyman Editions of the Wodehouse books do it for me. They are lovely hardback books, and the dust jackets seem to sum up the period in which they are set along with the atmoshpere of the books.

51Ovf-m%2By5L._SL500_AA240_.jpgjeeves_1.jpg

The Pratchett book covers are wonderful too, I think Josh Kirby (I think thats who drew them) really sums up the complete chaos of the Discworld!

On the other end of the scale I though the UK jacket for the Deathly Hallows was awful, and didn't really get over the peril that the wizarding world was in.

Do you have any favourite book covers?

I got 'The Gift' by Cecelia Ahern for Christmas and was struck by how gorgeous the cover was. The book just looks like a gift and even has a lovely red bow around it. I thought it was so appropriate as a present! :lol: Looking forward to actually reading it now :)

I have to say I love the Twilight saga covers

41t8tylXY1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg41zC5-4gHCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg21unzLa4qiL._SL500_AA180_.jpg41IZF1ifKwL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I much prefer the simplistic approach to covers, and I have to admit, pretty ones do attract me more than trashy covers. While looking for these covers though, I saw that they've released Twilight with this cover

51sK99ep9KL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I have to say I hate it :)

I got 'The Gift' by Cecelia Ahern for Christmas and was struck by how gorgeous the cover was. The book just looks like a gift and even has a lovely red bow around it. I thought it was so appropriate as a present! :lol: Looking forward to actually reading it now :)

I totally agree with that one it's so pretty. And also the cover of P.S. I Love You (the blue one with white spots and a pile of letters) is cute.

And the Twilight ones too (not too keen on the Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart - and that's not just because I don't like K.S :lol:).

I also love the cover of Jodi Picoults books although some of the newer ones are nicer than the older ones I have :lol:.

I have to agree with most of the above. I love the Twilight covers and refused to buy the one with the actors on the front. Not because I dislike either of them but because I feel that you should be able to make your own

'image' of the characters. And if these representations of the characters are on the front, then you'll be forced to think of their faces. (And Kristen is NOT Bella. Sorry, I had to add that.) That goes for all covers. I don't like if they have pictures of people, even if it's cartoon (like the child Harry Potter ones) because it's TOO visual.

I like simplistic :). I agree, Jodi Picoults are really nice. I also like two of Alice Sebold's (if that's right?) covers, although I haven't actually read them. That just's me being drawn in by the pretty images..

Oh, I inspired a thread.

Hee.

My mum bought Kate Mosse's 'Labyrinth' (google won't work so I can't dig out a picture) because the cover drew her attention. Its a beautifully designed hardback - the sort of thing that looks like it should be in a fancy old posh library. Even the inside is stunning.

Oh those are lovely! I might swap out my harry potter kids books and get these ones now, they are much prettier!

They are really nice and fitting! Though I dont like the concept of having a special edition for adults... Yes Harry Potter was initially meant for children and Yes I and millions of other adults still love it, so what ?? :lol: I love the american edition. That's the one I'll get when I get my own collection.

Ahh I couldn't get the american ones because they have "Socerers" Stone and that would just annoy the heck out of me :)

*laughs* The copy we have at home is the american for the first book (we have a competely mismatched collection: a bit of american, a lot of english and one paperback standing in the middle :lol:) so I'm used to it but I can see how it could be annoying.

*laughs* The copy we have at home is the american for the first book (we have a competely mismatched collection: a bit of american, a lot of english and one paperback standing in the middle :lol:) so I'm used to it but I can see how it could be annoying.

Ahh I have the whole English childrens cover collection, I think the first 4 are paperback and then hardback for the rest as I bought them as they were released :)