Book Buying Dilemma

Nollaig

I'm buying a trilogy on Amazon, but I have a small dilemma.

There are three variant paperback editions - the original 90's ones, cheap gaudy looking science fiction covers, but they're ORIGINAL you know? Vintage! AND I can get 'new' (mint condition!) ones.

Then the second variant editions are newer, printed in 2005, but they're beautiful, easily the nicest covers of the lot. However, they're very expensive as a result and I'd have to get 'very good' conditions as opposed to 'like new' or 'new'. And they're obviously not vintage like the early 90's ones.

And then theres the third variant, which are gorgeous sleek black modern covers, but don't worry about them, DO NOT WANT.

So, should I get the gaudy but vintage and cheaper originals, or should I pay more for not-as-good condition non-vintage but beautiful editions?

And yes, I am a book nerd of the highest order.

Halp :)

Its the Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman (Sci-fi/Fantasy)

Original Editions: (92-96ish)

90sd.jpg

These next three are the ones I want: (2005 reprints)

05d.jpg

And then the not so great third variant: (2006/07)

06d.jpg

Edited by Nollaig

Yeah I thought you might, thats why I included them. They're very modern and very snazzy.... but the books are old gaudy sci-fi books =P Snazzy and modern just doesn't suit them! Plus, pretty as they are, they don't have the endlessly awesome Gerald Tarrant on them!

Yowch, you're paying double the price just for slightly different covers, I prefer the last of the lot too, but I know you dislike them. As for the others, personally I don't think I could bring myself to pay that much more just for different covers, but I think it depends on how much it means to you really, if it's really important that you have those particular covers then treat yourself to them!!

Haha everrrrrryone likes the newest covers.

Yeah, they're pretty, but its exactly the same cover! Its like my LOTR books with the Green Sky for the Fellowship, the Blue Sky for the Two Towers and Orange Sky for the Return.

I think they're too modern for a classic story which in and of itself and its genre IS a gaudy old bit of sci-fi.

I eventually decided to go onto the American Amazon site, and they had the three covers I want, brand new direct from Amazon, and including crazy shipping prices its still only about

Awesome! Someone who agrees!!

I didn't buy the first ones simply because there are many variations of publishers, title colours yada yada and it was hard to be sure which I was getting off Amazon (they were all second hand, too.)

What I'm going to do is when I have the money, buy the hardback editions, which have the exact same covers as the first editions, but with more detail.

I am the ULTIMATE sad little book nerd amn't I? =P