Books for 2009

Susanne

As we are near the end of 2008 I was just wondering how people will decide what they want to read in 2009? Some members have very complex and interesting reading lists at the beginning of the year and I would love to know how you choose your books? And do you then stick strictly to it or do you add/remove throughout the year?

x

My personal challenge for 2009 is significantly reduced due to my not having so much time to read since having Xander. I plan to read, over the course of 2009, at least 2 books from each of the five categories listed below (category crossovers are allowed where applicable):

OC = Olympic Challenge

1001 = from Peter Boxall's 1001 books to read before you die

PC = Posh Club Reading Group (local Aberdeen book group)

RC= Book Club Forum Main Reading Circle

CRC = Book Club Forum Classic Reading Circle

Apart from that, I'll pretty much be reading what I want, when I want, from Mount TBR.

Edited by Kell

Other than the Oprah selection- whenever that happens- I really have no set plan for book reading in 2009- I get a lot of my inspiration from the NY Times book review and , of course, from Book Club Forum

I have a huge list of books I plan to read (87 on the last count), and I will read those (in no particular order, as the mood strikes). I will, of course, add to the list all throughout the year (so probably half the books that are on the list now will still be there this time next year due to newcomers and the random order :lol: ). Nothing fancier than that.

For me it'll be working my way through as many books on my Countries of the World challenge as possible & other than that I'll be watching out for new releases from my fave authors - Lee Child, Linda Fairstein, Kathy Reichs, Jonathan Kellerman, Jeffery Deaver, & a few others. Besides that, whatever strikes my fancy when searching the shelves of Waterstones!

What a great thread!

I haven't really sticked to a list so far but I want to try if in 2009.

This is what I want to read:

1. Laureats of the Nobel price of literature (I am trying to get these books second hand, so I do not know which I will get in 2009.

2. main reading circle (3 books)

3. classics reading circle (3 books)

4. Terry Pratchett (3 books)

5. German crime fiction (3 books)

6. Die Vermessung der Welt (Measuring the World) by Daniel Kehlmann

7. Tintenherz (Inkheart) by Cornelia Funke

I bought a little calendar book for 2009 and am planning to write kind of a reading diary in there. Some comments and thoughts on the books I have read on a day. Should be interesting when looking at it at a later time.

I bought a little calendar book for 2009 and am planning to write kind of a reading diary in there. Some comments and thoughts on the books I have read on a day. Should be interesting when looking at it at a later time.
You might want to start a book log on th eforum too so we can see what you think if your choices. :)

For 2008 I made up a list of 'priority reading' and I'll probably do the same for 2009. A lot of books will be transferred from the last list to the new one :lol:

I'm also thinking up some reading challenges, but not on the scale that I did this year. I want to read more short stories, and also get through more series next year. Other than that, I'll take it as it comes! :)

The goal for me in 2009 is just to read more fiction. I've already bought 6 fiction books online. I'm hoping to read one a month but who knows I might surprise myself and read quicker.

3 of the books I picked have been discussed on the forum already so I've resisted reading the reviews until I've read the book(s). I'm actualy looking forward to that as much as reading the books themselves.

There's a certain spontaneity to reading which precludes planning. There are many books I hope to read though many I won't, since finding the right time for the right book is very difficult. Having said that I do find myself drawn toward great literary works (regardless of the period it was published). I have an eye for the structure of sentences and the written word (even if I have to sometimes look up it's meaning :)).

I want to read D.H Lawrences' 'Women in Love', but it may touch upon some of the themes in the books I've just read. A book I've put off reading (The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time) is probably next up.

Edited by Kell
Inserted ALL the capitals!

I've always been one to create lists of books I'm planning to read, but the list changes so often and grows so much that it's hard to keep track of sometimes.

For 2009, I'm hoping to read some of the 20th century classics that I somehow missed, as well as some well-known contemporary authors with whom I am yet unfamiliar. I've been getting a lot of ideas from this forum, too! I'm going to try to read at least one book per week so that I can get to more of the books I've always been wanting to read as well as those I've just recently discovered. (The silver lining to my recent unemployment is that this goal is now a lot more manageable! :))

I have no plans to make it a mission to read any particular books although I would like to try and read a few classics this year. :)
Perhaps you'll enjoy the classics reading circle kicking off in 2009 - we're starting with Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy.

• 1 month later...

I'm so excited!!!!!! I just figured out the top 2 books in my TBR pile, lol! Iain Pears finally has a new book due out on 5 May (here in the U.S.) called 'A Stone's Fall' and I can't wait to read it!

Matthew Pearl also has a new one due out here on 17 March called 'The Last Dickens' which I'm also thrilled about. Hopefully he'll come to town again too on a book tour so I can get another book signed :blush:.

Mine is to simply get through my TBR pile which never seems to shrink. I did aim to read three classics this year also as I've never read one. :D

Don't hide.. you sound like me! :blush: I haven't read a classic since I was in college, and don't think I've EVER read one on my own without the instruction and direction of a teacher/professor. I'm going to this year, though! (I'm going to start with either "Wuthering Heights" or "Jane Eyre.") You're not all alone over there! :)

Don't hide.. you sound like me! :readingtwo: I haven't read a classic since I was in college, and don't think I've EVER read one on my own without the instruction and direction of a teacher/professor. I'm going to this year, though! (I'm going to start with either "Wuthering Heights" or "Jane Eyre.") You're not all alone over there! :lol:

:D I'm glad there are others like me! Wuthering Heights is on my wishlist and it's been recommended so much that I think I'll start with that one.

I haven't read masses of classics, but I have read both "Wuthering Heights" and "Jane Eyre" and I would say that I think "Jane Eyre" is an easier introduction into the world of classics than WH, which I found a difficult read and I didn't really enjoy it, whereas I felt JE was written in a way which felt more modern and felt almost like a contemporary book in a period setting.