Life on the Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers

Michelle

Life on the Refrigerator Door was originally published as a children's title, but the second edition will be under an adult imprint. It's easy to see why, as this is a story that will appeal across the ages.

The format of the book is rather unusual, as each page is dedicated to a note shared between a mother and daughter. Some of these are long, but many are fairly short, as you would expect. This makes for a book that grabs your attention, and keeps you reading. The downside is that for faster readers, it can be over rather quickly.

The story itself is of a mother and teenage daughter, both so caught up in their own separate lives, that they have little time to spend together. There main form of communication is through the notes that they leave for each other.

The author has captured both of these characters well.. the mother who has her busy life, and is unwilling to face up to her health issues; and the teenage daughter, also caught up with her boyfriend, and school, and unsure how to communicate her feelings.

For me, the downside was the length of the book, and I did feel that there was potential for more content. However, the well captured characters, and the overall story make this a recommended book.

• 3 months later...

Here is my review:

21vl2xm9pal_sl500_aa180_.jpg

Synopsis:

Beautifully told through notes left on their kitchen fridge, this is an intimate portrait of the relationship between a hard-working mother and her teenage daughter. Stunningly sad but ultimately uplifting, it is about being a 'good mother' or a 'good daughter', and is a reminder of how much can be said in so few words, if only we made the time to say them.

What a sad, touching book, that made me cry. The story is told through notes written by both mother and daugher, Claire, in the hardest year of their life - when Claire's Mum was diagonised with breast cancer. Both are busy so the best way to communicate is through notes left on the refrigerator door. The notes are intimate, with them considering love, life, their relationship and whether they are good people.

I read this book in one sitting. It was quick to read but engaging. And so sad. I really enjoyed this book. We see growing pains of a teenager, as she discovers boys, works hard at school and deals with divorce. Kuipers looks at breast cancer and how it effects the sufferer, and their family. It is so honest and raw. We see pain, heart break and illness. It is a good awareness for cancer. It is realistic and honest, and achingly sad.

There are unanswered questions, and I don't think the characters could be developed properly as their form of commuication was notes but this was a lovely book and well worth reading.

8/10

• 3 weeks later...