The Day of the Triffids (BBC, 2009)

Raven

The BBC have announced that they are working on a new version of John Wyndham's science fiction classic, The Day of the Triffids.

The new version will be shown in two feature length instalments next year, and it will be set in London and the South East in the year 2011.

You can read more about this here: Triffids returning to television.

I'm in two minds about this, part of me is really excited, but another part is worried by the "fast-paced, futuristic and electrifying take" line in the above article.

Triffids just isn't an action story, and the plants themselves aren't really the focus, they are there as a plot device to help facilitate the breakdown of society story.

Also, it's going to have to be good to beat the 1981 adaptation!

• 2 months later...

It looks like the BBC have lined up a pretty impressive cast for this.

Dougray Scott will take the lead as Bill Mason, with Vanessa Redgrave, Joely Richardson, Eddie Izzard, Brian Cox and Jason Priestley (what?!) all cast in other parts.

My guess is that Richardson will be playing Josella, but past that who are the others going to play?! I can see Brian Cox playing Coker, Torrance or Michael Beadley - if they are keeping any of those characters.

More information here: Redgrave set for Triffids remake.

This is the cast list, according to the Press Release:

Dougray Scott as Bill Masen;

Joely Richardson as Jo Playton;

Brian Cox as Dennis Masen;

Vanessa Redgrave as Durrant;

Eddie Izzard as Torrence and

Jason Priestley as Coker.

I can see Izzard playing Torrance, it's not that much of a removal from Gary Olsen who played him in the '81 version, but Jason "90210" Priestley as Coker?!

I'm getting old . . .

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't hold your breath, if you are a fan of the book.

Some of the promotional material that has been released is making it sound as though someone has taken a hatchet to the plot and characters.

We'll have to wait and see, but I strongly suspect that this could be this years The Thirty-Nine Steps.

We'll have to wait and see, but I strongly suspect that this could be this years The Thirty-Nine Steps.

Oh goodness, that was dire!

I think I'll give this a miss. I don't mind if it's something I haven't read (like Wuthering Heights) as I have no expectations, but I do expect them to be reasonably faithful to the original story.

The Thirty-Nine Steps was dreadful!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, it's on telly tonight. On BBC. Might watch it, or record it I think, since mom doesn't understand English well enough to watch it without subtitles. :D

And honestly, I haven't see or read The Thirty-Nine Steps, but what comes to mind more is War of the World, and then the horrible adaptation with Tom Cruise. Hollywood remake for sure. :friends0: