Survivors (BBC)

Michelle

Don't read if you recorded the first episode, and haven't watched yet!

Did anyone watch this last night? I wasn't particularly convinced by the way the flu virus took over.. it seemed to build up slowly, but then suddenly kill nearly everyone overnight!

Apart from that, it seems rather addictive. It'll be interesting to see what that lab is up to, and also why the woman appeared to die, and then revived, whereas the others didn't get ill at all.

Considering that, will the same thing happen to her husband and the doctor's friend? If you look on the website, they are standing there with the other survivors, but as far as we know, they are dead.

Did anyone watch the original series?

I watched the first episode last night and I agree that it seems addictive. I can't wait for Tuesday :D I'm not old enough to have seen the original series. My gran did and watched last night and said she was impressed. I agree that there seems to be a flaw in the way the virus just killed people, especially in the Mosque.

One question, does anybody know who plays the older guy who went into the lab at the very end? He looked really familiar and I can't place it.

I only watched part of the first episode last night (got a migraine so had to go to bed :D) and thought it was ok. I remember being hooked on the original series, at the time I recall being quite scared at how fast the virus spread and intrigued as to how some people escaped being infected. If this new series runs along the same lines I can see myeslf being hooked all over again!

Considering that, will the same thing happen to her husband?

I hope not, she burned the corpse!

Yeah, it was a bit confusing the way they treated the main character's illness and recovery, it left you wondering who else was going to suddenly revive (which was no one, so it seems . . .).

As a friend of mine pointed out, it's nice that the virus only left the pretty people alive!

:D Beef

I was quite taken in by this but I was a bit put off by all the Dr Who/Casualty/Bonekickers people that were in it.

The virus did take hold too fast and they all managed to meet up pretty fast as well.

Still good viewing (although I was reading at the same time)

Well last night's episode was better than I was expecting it to be, but it's still not firing on all cylinders by a long way.

There are a few of things I found puzzling last night:

1) If they have a group of armed thugs on their doorstep, why not just move?

2) Why are none of them planning for the future - why aren't they looking for a suitable farm or similar?

3) Why did Joseph's character just accept that the chap with the broken leg had died? (and why didn't he initially offer to take him back to the group as well?!).

And there is another pretty women - what a brilliantly selective virus!

I enjoyed last nights episode too. I find myself not wanting it to end. My response to some of Raven's questions:

1. If they just moved, they would just encounter the same problem. They kept saying that the whole human race would turn on eachother just for a bottle of water. Although, saying that, I would have moved a million miles away from that bloke after he pointed the gun in my face.

2. I think they are planning for the future but just haven't started properly yet. Yesterday the young lad and Al (I'm not sure on the names) they found the chickens and attempted to catch some, collecting the eggs etc. I just think they haven't got around to carrying out their plans.

3. I think he was more worried about the gang of people who arrived, or Abby. I'm not quite sure the extent of what's going on between him and Abby. Other than that, Greg thought that the broken leg guy had been forcing himself on Sarah so maybe he just didn't care what happened to him.

They were a few of my observations.

Well last night's episode was better than I was expecting it to be, but it's still not firing on all cylinders by a long way.

There are a few of things I found puzzling last night:

1) If they have a group of armed thugs on their doorstep, why not just move?

Yes, I also found that strange.. maybe it's just the general principle, they have their big house, and they don't see why they should move??

I'm also getting bugged by small things.. such as, even though many seemed to die overnight, those roads are extremely empty! And yet, it can't have all been overnight, considering the people in the mosque. Plus, if it was at night, why are many of the shops conveniently unlocked? Or are we to assume that people have already broken in??

We've been watching it, too & straight off the little things have been bugging me. As if that Prison Guard would have moved that guy without handcuffing him first. He knew his sentence length, how much he had left to serve, so one could presume he knew how dangerous this guy was, yet he takes no precautions? The lack of cars on the motorway & roads drives me crazy, not to mention everyone in the mosque dying at the exact same time? All a little too pat.

Now, that said, I'm still going to watch!

Hi, I'm quite enjoying this too. Hope it keeps up the momentum.

I'm also bugged why they keep going back to the Netto store. Surely there are some superstores in the vicinity as well. I mean there must be an out-of-townTesco or Sainbury - I would think they could get all they needed there without being threatened.:)

At least Julie Graham is performing much better in this that she did in that awful Bonekickers.:D

• 1 month later...

I'm glad there's going to be another series. It wasn't brilliant, but it kept me watching. And it certainly ended on a load of cliffhangers... I want to know what happens to them next, especially to Abby now the scientists have got her.

I watched it all the way thought, but it annoyed the hell out of me!

The group seemed to be treating their predicament more as though they were on a rough-ramblers weekend than in a serious survival situation.

It didn't help that there was no real feel for how many people had survived the virus, or what the time scale was that the series was working to.

I would have expected the group to start laying in stores (real stores, not just going house-to-house taking half used pots of coffee), for them to have started to get some live stock together and be learning the basics of farming, skills they will need to keep them alive down the road.

Instead we get them popping down the shops when they want something (some cakes for a party, some beer for a party or a Wendy house for the chickens etc), it just seemed too laid back for The End of The World!

Brian Aldiss once referred to The Day of the Triffids as a cosy catastrophe; I shudder to think what he would make of Survivors!