Seeing by Jose Saramago

Ben Mines

Seeing is a sequel to Saramago's Blindness. In an unnamed city, 80 per cent of the electorate cast blank votes, prompting an unfortunate, totalitarian backlash by the right wing government.

I find Saramago's prose-style (page-length sentences; commas in place of full stops; a deep reluctance to use capital letters) highly irritating at first, but he tells a good story.

One thing that is bothering me, however, is a glaring and unexplained discrepancy between the first novel and its sequel. I don't want to give anything away, but if you've read it, you will probably know what I am talking about. Perhaps Mr Saramago has his reasons, but they're lost on this reader.

Edited by Ben Mines

Hi Ben. I have picked up Blindness in my local book shop on many occasions, but the lack of paragraphs has always put me off. However, the theme really intrigues me, so I may have to give it a go! I didn't even know there was a sequel, so thanks for the info. Depending on how I get on with Darkness, I may have to get hold of Seeing.

It was actually imprecise of me to say that I find his prose-style irritating. His prose style is in fact perfectly conventional. It is just his capitalizing, paragraphing, and punctuation that's weird—and for no good reason that I can see. I view it as a frivolous distraction that the reader must patiently get around; but if you can do that then, like I said, he spins a good yarn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...