Germinal -

Echo

Date of Publication: 1885 (my edition, 1998 Oxford World's Classics)

Number of Pages: 524

Synopsis (from back cover): Zola's masterpiece of working life, Germinal (1885), exposes the inhuman conditions of French miners in the 1860s. The central figure,

I really enjoyed reading your review of one of my favourite classic writers. I'm currently working my way through the Rougon-Macquart series of which there are 20 and Germinal is no.13. As you say in your review it's quite shocking reading at times and this is typical of Zola's other novels. For that reason it's going to take me years to get through the series but one thing that stands out in his writing is his use of imagery and scene setting. I find in each one there is a scene which stays with you afterwards.

Really glad you enjoyed Zola - hope you'll get the chance to read some more.:woohoo:

My mum gave it to me to read when I was 16 - I thought it was brilliant and always remembered it. I read it again about 20 years later as part of a course, and it renewed my interest in his writing.

• 2 weeks later...
My mum gave it to me to read when I was 16 - I thought it was brilliant and always remembered it. I read it again about 20 years later as part of a course, and it renewed my interest in his writing.

Not quite sure if I am doing this correctly as I am a first time user. I have enjoyed reading Emile Zola's books for many years. They are quite difficult to find though and I have found them in book shops all over the place - some originally in England and some here in Sydney, Australia.

Therese Raquin is also one of my favourites

Hope I have done this okay